Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,226,605 times

Advertisements

I live with friends, a married couple of 55 and 53, and her son who is 32.

My friends have been married for a loooooong time and they basically annoy the carp out of each other every single day.

My friend is a tiny little dynamo who takes care of everyone and is very very sweet, but lately she has been an absolute biatch. Very swift mood changes, quite startling. She doesn't sleep very well or eat very much, she gets up at 4am to cook for her son and husband who don't even thank her (she is traditional like that).

She got very depressed and started crying a lot and the doctor put her on antidepressants.

Since the first day she calmed down, slept better, ate more, yelled less.

The trouble is, she doesn't want to take them. I know she's run out and this morning she was roaring again. I've tried to tell her they don't work like aspirins, you can't just take them randomly, but she won't listen.

Advice anyone? She is capable of ruining everyone's day including the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM

6,882 posts, read 11,216,307 times
Smile Mood swings most likely

Going through menopause possibly

Maybe go for a walk with her. Exercise is a good reliever.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM

52,035 posts, read 52,481,932 times
I'd move out if you can't talk to her about it. Life is too short for drama. I feel bad for the lady, but you can only lead a horse to water.....

Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,621,435 times
Sounds like menopause to me. And her doctor sounds like a goober. They throw antidepressants at everyone for any reason, when the reality is that she probably needs some hormone therapy. ESTROGEN PLEASE!

All that aside, I think you should move out.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,580,494 times
Yes, I suspect menopause, not depression, and now it's in the news how many more women now die from prescription drugs -- so it's probaby best that she not get hooked on those drugs.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,775,040 times
It sounds like she has a lot of stressors, including an extra "roomer." I agree with the menopause idea.

If you really want to help your friend, set an example of how to treat her for the dad and son. Be a grateful helper.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,155,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

My friends have been married for a loooooong time and they basically annoy the carp out of each other every single day.

My friend is a tiny little dynamo who takes care of everyone and is very very sweet, but lately she has been an absolute biatch. Very swift mood changes, quite startling. She doesn't sleep very well or eat very much, she gets up at 4am to cook for her son and husband who don't even thank her (she is traditional like that).

She got very depressed and started crying a lot and the doctor put her on antidepressants.

The trouble is, she doesn't want to take them. I know she's run out and this morning she was roaring again. I've tried to tell her they don't work like aspirins, you can't just take them randomly, but she won't listen.

Unless you and the family can help convince her that the meds are more than just to control her moods....there is likely a chemical disorder...there may be nothing you can do.
Actually this is typical of some folks who take their meds long enough to feel better, than convince themselves they are well.
It is the bain of mental health. Non-compliance is a major issue.
But, with the laws that we have, she has the right to refuse. It is a catch 22....
Hopefully these links, or further research will give you some ideas or ammunition to tackle this.
Medication noncompliance among mentally ill - MENTAL ILLNESS POLICY ORG.
Issues of non-compliance in mental health. [J Adv Nurs. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00787.x/abstract

Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,582,127 times
Quote:

That sounds more like anxiety meds than antidepressants.

An antidepressant takes awhile to get into the system and out of the system. They don't work right away, and if you stop taking them don't get out of your system that quickly. Usually about 3 weeks on either end.

That being said it could be change of life.

You don't say why you're living with them, but I would tell her to talk to her doctor and as one poster suggested help around the house, go for a walk with her.

If you're going to continue to stay there, help in any way you can to ease her stress, and although it might not do much good talk to the husband and adult son about helping out around the house.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,226,605 times
She isn't menopausal she went through all of that decades ago (complete emergency hysterectomy).

I'm just going to stop mentioning it for now, thanks for the advice.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,627,677 times
Quote:

My first question is, is there a reason that her son age 32, is still living with them?
Does her husband still work outside the home, or is she running around all day waiting hand and foot on everyone in the house..with no appreciation.

Maybe you could talk to her about whats going on, and why she gets so upset. There must be something that is irritating her, and you should probably look for a different place to live as well. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships