U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,417,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Some people just like to have a constant buzz around them. Some people absolutely cannot tolerate to be alone. It would kill them. Too many demons.

greenie
I thought the same thing...she sounds competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,159,390 times
I have seen too many people who are not comfortable being alone with themselves. They are empty shells and need someone to feed off, or to fill them up. Well, demons might be a little harsh. Dr. Judith Orloff calls them "energy vampires". They suck the energy right out of you!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,259,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have seen too many people who are not comfortable being alone with themselves. They are empty shells and need someone to feed off, or to fill them up. Well, demons might be a little harsh. Dr. Judith Orloff calls them "energy vampires". They suck the energy right out of you!
I meant inner demons.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:06 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,516,796 times
So basically what you are saying is that if a person has a lot of friends, they are needy empty shells?
I have to respectfully disagree. A few maybe.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,159,390 times
No, not at all, but some people out there seem to be. Some of my friends very outgoing and people oriented, but they also enjoy having alone time to read, reflect, etc.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,958,575 times
I've always been a fairly outgoing person and make friends easily but I think I would be hard pressed to find 50 or even 20 people that I would term dear close friends.
Friends sure but I only have a few really close friends that I could call in an emergency or to LOL bail me out of jail

Or maybe not, I mean if a "friend" called me in trouble I would try to help so maybe they would do it for me?????

I agree with whoever said that some people include acquaintences in their list of close friends.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM

26,319 posts, read 24,418,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I was talking to a woman the other day and the topic of friendship came up. She is getting married soon and was talking about the huge reception she is planning. She is inviting about 200 of her closest most personal friends and feels bad that she can not invite some of her other friends.

Now this woman is quite a personality and seems to have the ability to attract others due to her outgoing manner and attractive look. Though I wonder if anyone can actually have over 200 close personal friends. I meet many people in the process of living and I have little if any chemistry with most of them. I do not hate them but feel like my interaction with them is kind of boring and am happy when my business with them is over. I maybe would have enough chemistry with someone to become friends with maybe 1 out of 100 people I meet.

Though the woman I am talking to tells me she has good chemistry with almost everyone and communicates with hundreds of people in a friendly way every month. She is constantly on the phone and attending social events all the time.

Can you relate to her situation? Is it really possible to make so many friends and have such a connection with so many of the people we meet?
hehe, wouldn't want to...or need to...that would make me nuts....or, nuttier than I am already...

I am attracted to deep thinkers...I don't care where a person has been, or how much he/she owns, what I care about most of all is how you treat me now...love history and the arts, and due to my hunger for knowledge, really enjoy someone who looks at the whole of things...and a little deeper then the answers...of course I love to hear the stories men have to tell, as I hate shopping and soap operas...all in all, enjoy people, couples, married, and singles who are good with who they are, so much so, they do not fear asking questions or learning more about life and themselves.

But, that's just me?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,981,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think she is confusing friends with acquaintances. A friend is someone you can call in the middle of the night to come bail you out of jail, or come get you when your car is broken down in a raging snowstorm, or take care of you when you're sick. An acquaintance will be glad to come to your wedding and eat the free food and booze, but won't be there when the chips are down.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. A true friend is one who will be there for you at the very worst times.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,708,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Some people just like to have a constant buzz around them. Some people absolutely cannot tolerate to be alone. It would kill them. Too many demons.

greenie

I'm kind of this way (i do go a little crazy when i'm by myself too long and enjoy being around people) but I don't have that many friends. Never have and probably never will. I have tons of acquaintences, but very few friends. And it's not easy for me to feel 'chemistry' with someone. It might be, at the very most, 10% of the people that I meet. Realistically it might be more like 5%, so what is that, 1 out of every 20 people I meet? Even that might be a bit idealistic, so maybe it's closer to 1%. In any case, i need to be around a certain kind of person for the most part in order for me to feel "chemistry".

I guess you could say that i'm satifisfied with knowing a whole bunch of people who are close enough to me to keep me company, but not close enough to me for me to feel truly intimate or close to them. Which is fine. I think if you have five people who you can confide in about absolutely anything (INCLUDING parents, siblings, etc) then you're doing really well. Most people don't even have that, espescially nowadays with all of our modern technology that keeps people isolated (the Internet, video games, etc).

_

Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,708,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
hehe, wouldn't want to...or need to...that would make me nuts....or, nuttier than I am already...

I am attracted to deep thinkers...I don't care where a person has been, or how much he/she owns, what I care about most of all is how you treat me now...love history and the arts, and due to my hunger for knowledge, really enjoy someone who looks at the whole of things...and a little deeper then the answers...of course I love to hear the stories men have to tell, as I hate shopping and soap operas...all in all, enjoy people, couples, married, and singles who are good with who they are, so much so, they do not fear asking questions or learning more about life and themselves.

But, that's just me?

Same here when it comes to the deep thinkers, I love a thinking woman, I really believe there's nothing sexier about a woman than her intellect. Only thing I disagree with you about is hearing men talk. I'm a man so i could care less about hearing a man talk. Matter of fact, the only reason I really have any male friends is because I'm a huge sports fan and 99% of the women can't have a halfway intelligent conversation about sports. I like spending two to three days out of the week (at least) in a bar watching a game, and this is all year, during baseball, football, and basketball seasons. If I didn't like sports I probably would have very few, if any, male friends (or acquaintances) because that's what we talk about the majority of the time, because outside of the sports bar environment I really just don't care for being around dudes, period.

Outside of the cooler talk, I am PERFECTLY happy living in a woman-dominated world. I don't just say that because of any sexual desires - I really, truly enjoy being around women more so than men (I have three sisters and no brothers, can you blame me?). Of course this has gotten me in trouble in my relationships because a lot of women don't appreciate the fact that I simply have a lot of female friends, some of them are fine as all hell and yet I will most likely never sleep with them. But most women can't understand this, that I just have a lot of girl friends, but I'm only interested in having one girlfriend.

But I digress. Don't want to get too far off topic.

_

Last edited by AQUEMINI331; 11-14-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships