U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM

799 posts, read 1,317,120 times

Advertisements

Normally, I am a happy sorta dude. I really enjoy my job, my lifestyle, my relationship, etc. But lately I have found myself wildly anxious and irritated when I am around people.

There are stresses at work-- an idiot for a new boss, a dangling offer on the opposite coast. This is causing home stress as my partner and I quibble about the move. But nothing that would cause me to react in the powerful way I have been of late.

This weekend, I went out of town with my partner to a music festival. Normally, I would ADORE this but I was angry the entire time. For no reason. I was angry at the crowds, at the sounds of people's voices, the lines for food. We managed to find a place to eat that was quiet and pretty delicious, but I was angry about that too. I tried really hard to keep this frustration and rage from bubbling up and ruining our time but guess what? It bubbled up and ruined our time. I can't pinpoint a cause. It was just EVERYTHING.

When I got home, I didn't want to leave the house. I had to go out to do some grocery shopping and found myself in the same state of mind. Its just beyond strange. Like I said, I am normally social, happy, and generally engaged. Now I am grumbling like an old man and have this intense irrational reaction to everything.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 PM

9,554 posts, read 10,302,330 times
You must be my twin.

I do the same thing when i'm generally unhappy about my life situation. It makes me cranky. I'm usually happy, but anything and everything will **** me off.

The solution for me was to find out what was making me unhappy..and fix it. If i couldn't fix it right away, i'd set some goals.

But without fail, if i ever got in a situation where i'm unhappy with a situation in my lie..the grumpy me would show up

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

799 posts, read 1,317,120 times
I just feel like I can't regulate it or control it and its becoming really disruptive. Do you have any ideas about how to calm down?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,724,456 times
It sounds to me like this is a mental health issue, particularly the anxiety. Perhaps a mild anti-anxiety prescription from your family doctor might be all that is necessary if the problem is indeed stress. However, if it were me, I would talk to a therapist just to get a professional opinion on the situation. I prefer to leave prescriptions as a last resort.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM

416 posts, read 552,546 times
Could be a hormone imbalance. You may want to have your testosterone levels checked.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,216,578 times
Non situational anger is often a manifestation of fear, and is sometimes accompanied by dreams of being naked or fears of something being found out. Anything going on in your life that is making you nervous or anxious?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM

2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times
Are you the type of person that needs down time from people (usually introverts are like this)? Has your typical routine been altered in some way? Are you depressed?

When people get to me (any people for any reason), it's because I've been high strung for too long and need a break from people in general (time to sit at home in a quiet room and read a book, surf the internet, etc). Or my routine is way out of whack and has been for awhile. I'm not the type that really has a routine, but when it's really out of whack, I need to find some sort of routine again. And depression. Most men express depression as anger. My BF is great example. He's not super happy outgoing anyways, but when he's depressed, he hates the world. The worse the depression, the more hatred/anger there is for everyone and everything.

I will say this though....trying to squash anger rarely works. It usually makes it worse. So I'd suggest talking to someone about it. Your partner would be a good choice. Talk about why you're angry. What is triggering the anger. Is the anger due to depression, fear, anxiety, feeling out of control? Usually talking about it helps to diffuse it. I know when I get my BF to talk a bit about his anger, which he hates doing, he feels a bit better. Kinda like getting some of it off your chest.

Good luck. If you can't talk to your partner, I'd second a therapist. But that can take awhile and also depends on how much you'll open up.

ETA: Do you exercise? A good hard run, weight training, etc would probably help burn off some of the anger and it'll trigger your endorphins and hopefully help with the happiness side.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,421,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I just feel like I can't regulate it or control it and its becoming really disruptive. Do you have any ideas about how to calm down?
Yeh, you could give something green, and gold, and glorious a try.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM

40,423 posts, read 39,951,648 times
I get like that sometimes when I watch the news too much, or when I'm CD too much.... LOL.....I feel like throttling someone half the time anymore....

Not a good place to be.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,821,569 times
Sounds like you're stressed over your job, the possibility of a big move and the tension in your relationship. If you're the type to always put on a happy face, the stress may just be bubbling out at inopportune times. Maybe try journaling some to clarify what's got you down, or talking to your SO, a friend or a therapist. If you can get your worries out in the open and address them head on, they're less likely to sneak up on you unexpectedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships