Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times

Advertisements

OIC = I don't care what your talking/texting/typing about but I have to be polite and answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'm not sure why, but I have always been bothered by the "OIC" or "I see" responses via email/text/IM.

I guess I always feel like the person is just blowing me off. It is always a conversation killer. Once a person says that, it's like all talk just stops.

I always tell myself I'm over reacting, but I have always felt that way. It seems so insincere and rude. If I get something someone says, I'll say "oh, that makes sense" or "thanks for explaining" or something beyond "I see".

For those of you that say that, do you mean it sincerely. Why do you say "I see"? Do you say things like that in real life? And for the most part, does it stop a conversation in its tracks?

For everyone, is it just me that this bothers me? I noticed on certain people tend to do this. And it has nothing to do with their in-person conversation patterns. They never say it to me IRL, just online/text. Then, there's other people who never say it ever.

Thoughts? Discuss?

That was my grandmom favorite response when she felt you were talking foolish and she would just say

"I SEE"

LOL

In other words, whatever makes you happy

Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 681 times
It bothers me too. Thing is I'm not sure why. Maybe because I dont know what the person means and to me it sounds cold. I would just want a more understanding response, but then that's putting expectations. So I try to just let it go.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why, but I have always been bothered by the "OIC" or "I see" responses via email/text/IM.

I guess I always feel like the person is just blowing me off. It is always a conversation killer. Once a person says that, it's like all talk just stops.

I always tell myself I'm over reacting, but I have always felt that way. It seems so insincere and rude. If I get something someone says, I'll say "oh, that makes sense" or "thanks for explaining" or something beyond "I see".

For those of you that say that, do you mean it sincerely. Why do you say "I see"? Do you say things like that in real life? And for the most part, does it stop a conversation in its tracks?

For everyone, is it just me that this bothers me? I noticed on certain people tend to do this. And it has nothing to do with their in-person conversation patterns. They never say it to me IRL, just online/text. Then, there's other people who never say it ever.

Thoughts? Discuss?

Context matters a great deal.

If my wife says, "Oh, I see" in upbeat tones, then it's one thing. If she says, "Oh......I see..." trailing off, I know that I need to get in the car and start driving until I run out of gas, then start hitchhiking.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

Thoughts? Discuss?
I don't converse by email/text...but do in person or by a good ole landline....but here's my take....

I don't consider it rude...but sometimes it does come off insincere to me.
I guess it depends on the context it was used in....but I have to agree with you...and it is for me (also) a conversation stopper. But only in that subject...I'd just change the conversation to something else.

Sometimes I feel that when someone I'm conversing with says OIC, it's because, they really DON'T see...and thus hoping to change the conversation they say "OIC".

I just let it go.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Ha ha ha -- anyone here remember ICQ?

I've never had someone text me "OIC" or even "Oh, I see". The one that irks me is "K". Actually any text speak words at all - Ugh. Right up my spine.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
This is an old thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. Being in business, whenever I had to converse with someone of an Asian language, usually they always said "Oh, I see" when they didn't actually understand what I was talking about, they just didn't want to be rude. I would then always follow up with "do you understand what I'm saying?" and they would say no.

I don't know if you're talking with someone with a language barrier, but it's not always to just stop a conversation. I personally use it as a condescending way of say "ok" when I disagree with the person and don't want to argue it.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:14 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
Whenever someone is rambling on and on about themselves and boring me, I will say "Oh okay". That ends it right there. Go bore someone else. LOL

Old 10-03-2018, 04:04 PM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
To a friend/someone who I don't care to know more about that problem I'd reply with "ok", "ic" "uh huh" because I'm tired to hear about that problem all the time.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
It was used a lot in ASL (sign language) handspelling “oic” and I have gotten very used to it from my deaf friends. Never thought otherwise about it. Haven’t really noticed it in the hearing world. Maybe it’s used in texting more than I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships