Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Summer is chugging along for me. I just turned 22, I'm saving money the absolute most that I can, I want to leave for graduate school in August 2014. No dating prospects, however. Well, anyway, I have to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the whole next school year to meet the standards of most the Graduate Schools that I want to apply for, for example two of which are Ole Miss and Vanderbuilt, there are others to be certain because they have programs that work for me.

But, of course, what with my little sister about to get married after she graduates (I don't understand this, my sister has worked months shorter than me and has successfully moved out and got proposed to, while I can't even get a date or get up the money to do much of anything around here), my dad doesn't want me doing what I want to do. Now he's got my other grandmother "greatly concerned" about me going to a Southern school for college. The guy who used to verbally harass me late at night to scream "change your major or GET THE HELL OUT!" at me, now since cooled down since he has retired and recently became diabetic, wants me to stay living here for graduate school and doesn't want me to go to "N*ggerville" (Mississippi, in this instance) for college.

It's not as if he's even paying for my college anymore, I get financial aid for it, but he complains in and out about how I'm pissing college away and that I'll get stabbed if I leave town for college. I don't believe it for a minute. Some fun the college years are, huh?
Desert Kid...go for it...if you want to go to a southern school college, you should...whatever YOU want. Your dad doesn't need you to stay home (he's got your sis next door)..so why not give yourself a taste of freedom, and do what YOU want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;30459760]Getting married too young, like your sister, is not a sign of success. It tends to be more a sign of a young woman who thinks marriage is her only option for a future, or for status in society.

Only thing I totally disagree with.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
I don't know about California, place doesn't appeal to me, sorry Ruth. I'm trying my best, I get a little disheartened sometimes. Thank you.

It was nursing at first in 2007, dad forced me into that "your going to college to get a job that makes good money" he said, thus my college years began at the age of 16. I was terrible at nursing, I didn't want to be in it, I failed the CNA program and it is still a blight on my records. I changed over to history, and for 3 solid years that went very well.

Then around 2010 I graduated and walked with my class, got sent my degree in the mail only to learn that the Universities I was applying to back then (NAU and UA) were not accepting it. Turns out the CC I was going to forwarded me my degree by mistake, dad all of a sudden didn't like my history degree and bugged me relentlessly for months on how useless and godawful it was.

Didn't help by the end of the year we were forcefully moved from the house by the government (lucky us, we restored a HUD, we get to move into it). And I'm spinning my wheels in my final math class that is giving me trouble, one afternoon in April 2011 he comes home fuming pissed off from his Administration job at the city he sees me sitting at the computer and calls me a useless M-F'ing POS this-and-that with a POS useless major, I tell him where to stuff his opinion, and we pretty much shout the F-word at each other until the early morning hours where it all ends with a "NO HISTORY BULL****!!! CHANGE YOUR MAJOR! NOW!!!", I was unconfident and emotionally drained from the whole thing, didn't help I was into a girl that didn't like me back and I had a sweet little encounter with her earlier in the day.

We battle again a few months later when I fail the class, and it ends with me moving in with my grandma, getting no emotional support for the whole thing and not passing the math class again. Grandma had alzheimers, night terrors and everything. In 2012, a friend of mine dies, and I don't take it well. I pass the math class, get my degree and a couple weeks later grandma dies.

Here I am now, going to the same CC, but the CC now is an ASU satellite campus and I'm less than a year away from my BA in IDS (Interdisciplinary Studies, business basically). And I want to get back into history for graduate school. And as I said above dad doesn't want me going to Mississippi or Tennessee, Texas, etc (N*ggerville, as he puts it).
Have you fully investigated the career opportunities for someone who has a degree in History? I have not waded through the posts on this thread sorry. But you have to try to take an objective look at what you want in your life. What are your goals?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Thanks for the update, Kid. With this additional info, here's what I'd like to know:

You're doing a business-related major. How do you like it? Do you have an aptitude for it? Can you take accounting, and get certified as an accountant? Then if the history gig doesn't work out, you'll have a very useful skill--CPA--to fall back on, career-wise.

Why the southern states for a history MA? That's very conservative territory, you know. Do you think you'd fit in? I'm more inclined to see you in a more liberal environment. Say, New York, Boston, or the West Coast. Or even Michigan or Wisconsin.

I'm also wondering if you have the coursework you need in order to get accepted into a history MA program. Have you looked at that?

Kid, you're in a situation where you have to be your own rock. You have to stay chipper, stay motivated, keep putting one foot in front of the other, and finish with good grades. And don't think you're missing something by not having a relationship. Those can be quite the double-edged sword. They can be an emotional roller coaster, and turn your studies upside down, if they don't go well. Keep on keepin' on, and you have us to lean on.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the update, Kid. With this additional info, here's what I'd like to know:

You're doing a business-related major. How do you like it? Do you have an aptitude for it? Can you take accounting, and get certified as an accountant? Then if the history gig doesn't work out, you'll have a very useful skill--CPA--to fall back on, career-wise.

Why the southern states for a history MA? That's very conservative territory, you know. Do you think you'd fit in? I'm more inclined to see you in a more liberal environment. Say, New York, Boston, or the West Coast. Or even Michigan or Wisconsin.

I'm also wondering if you have the coursework you need in order to get accepted into a history MA program. Have you looked at that?

Kid, you're in a situation where you have to be your own rock. You have to stay chipper, stay motivated, keep putting one foot in front of the other, and finish with good grades. And don't think you're missing something by not having a relationship. Those can be quite the double-edged sword. They can be an emotional roller coaster, and turn your studies upside down, if they don't go well. Keep on keepin' on, and you have us to lean on.
In the South? I think I'd fit in better than most. I am pretty conservative myself and I would rather stay to warmer climates. Check over at how I am received in the Mississippi and Tennessee forums, it that is any indicator (although wouldn't really be a good representation of real-life).

Yesterday was my dad's 50th birthday. So I'm gonna be nice and take him and mom out to dinner tonight.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
You will fit in. Most large universities in the South are like most large universities in other states. You can find whatever you are looking for. As far as you being stabbed, you will be much safer at Mississippi, not much crime in Oxford, than where you are now. Come on down. I would choose Bama or Georgia, but I am biased.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
You will fit in. Most large universities in the South are like most large universities in other states. You can find whatever you are looking for. As far as you being stabbed, you will be much safer at Mississippi, not much crime in Oxford, than where you are now. Come on down. I would choose Bama or Georgia, but I am biased.
I got a couple Mississippi friends that would contest your preference.

When we went to MS, Vicksburg specifically a few years back on July 4th, yeah Vicksburg has a majority black population and my dad was not happy about what he saw. So his whole image of the state of Mississippi is the rather beat-down and unhappening city of Vicksburg (it was a pretty city, just not much for revitalization, or prospects). So when I say things about Oxford to him, I get a classic eyeroll and "don't come crying to me when one of them stabs you, specially since you got that flag".

Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
I got a couple Mississippi friends that would contest your preference.

When we went to MS, Vicksburg specifically a few years back on July 4th, yeah Vicksburg has a majority black population and my dad was not happy about what he saw. So his whole image of the state of Mississippi is the rather beat-down and unhappening city of Vicksburg (it was a pretty city, just not much for revitalization, or prospects). So when I say things about Oxford to him, I get a classic eyeroll and "don't come crying to me when one of them stabs you, specially since you got that flag".
What flag?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Chipper. I haven't heard that term in a long time. It's great.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Have you been to Oxford? It is a very beautiful small town with a huge literary history. The campus of Ole Miss is one of the most beautiful in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships