Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 22,895 times

Advertisements

I will definitely look into that, thank very much. And honestly Im hoping I can plead with my mother to let my grandmother recieve custody of me which would be amazing yet I highly doubt it. And no his interest goes as far as the child support he rarely pays. Yet, if it came down to it, he would help if I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
This page has a good overview of the subject of minor emancipation- Emancipation of Minors | Nolo.com

Another option might be to contact the local Department of Child Welfare/Human Services (its called different things in different states). There are states that allow a teenager to request to be placed outside of their home when there is either abuse, neglect, or long-term serious family conflict. Since you have a family member who will let you live with them, this might be an option. This would not be the same as emancipation, but it could be an alternative path if emancipation isn't going to be possible for whatever reason.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM

Yes my stepfather and I get along great though he'd never stand up for me because he is scared of what my mom would do. Im positive she will try to stop me and Ill deal with that as best as I can. As far as working and school, Ive handled more so Im very confident in myself and will definitely stay motivated. My plans for the future is what keeps me going.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Find out the laws for your states age of consent. If you are not considered an adult until you are 18, you either need to get legally emancipated or consent by your mom (and I would have her sign papers) to live with your grandmother. I really admire that someone your age is taking on so much responsibility, yet is trying to finish high school and go on to college. I wish you luck!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM

Thank you, everyone has been helpful! @KittenSparkles, that site was very helpful. Hopefully soon I can get in touch with a lawyer.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
If you are able to get out, do it. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and you are motivated to create a better life for yourself. If it turns out you have no choice than to stay with your mother until you are 18, then make the best of it and realize that it's only a year and after that you have the rest of your life to live life on your terms. I know a year sounds like a long time, but I promise you it will go by before you know it. I don't even know you and I'm very proud of you! Above all, finish high school and don't let yourself get sidetracked when it comes to college. That is your path to the life you want, which you already know.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So, if you move out who is going to take care of the animals. Or don't you even care?

20yrsinBranson
Who cares about the damn animals when we have a person who is getting mental, emotionally and possibly physically abused? Op, I was in the same spot, get out while you can. I moved in with my grandma as well and it was the BEST thing I had ever done. I actually felt LOVED for once in my life. She passed away 8 years later unfortunately, but she did get to see me graduate college and I could not have done it without her. For me, she WAS my mother, she encouraged me and gave me advice, something that my own mother was not able to do since her method of giving advice was yelling, cursing and hitting me. Just do what's best for you and get out while you can.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 PM

Thank you. Its nice to hear someone say theyre proud of you when they dont even know you. If it does turn out I have to wait until Im 18, i guess Ill have to just grit my teeth and focus on school.

And @Blackscorpion, Its nice that you understand. Not many do. And like you, my grandmother has always been my true mother. But she was taken away from me when I turned 13 an tried to get away from my mom then, thats when my mom hit her and banned me from seeing her. I love my mother to death. But I do not like who she has become. In my opinion, a parent shouldn't constantly yell, curse, and hit their child to get a point across, but my mom is just one of many. And I dont know how many years my Grandmother has left, but you better be sure Im gonna spend and cherish each moment. Shes already missed 4 years. But im doing my best to make it up to her.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Once you get emancipated as an adult you will not/nor should you be concerned about having your mother "let" you go live with your grandmother or anyone else, she will no longer have any rights to any decisions regarding your life.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So, if you move out who is going to take care of the animals. Or don't you even care?

20yrsinBranson
Are you kidding me? The animals are not a priority in this case. The OP needs to remove theirself from this situation by any way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships