Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,784,634 times

Advertisements

If I could, I wouldn't live with any family member where I had to obey their house rules. Eventually, it will lead to conflict. If I had the money, I would buy some land in the sticks and camp on it. And I would avoid loans. Anything that traps you into long term servitude to anyone else is bad news, IMO.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,724,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
If I could, I wouldn't live with any family member where I had to obey their house rules. Eventually, it will lead to conflict. If I had the money, I would buy some land in the sticks and camp on it. And I would avoid loans. Anything that traps you into long term servitude to anyone else is bad news, IMO.

But that's just me.
Um yeah, because a 17 year old can totally just up and buy property on their own??

OP, I also moved out at 17. Thankfully my mother didn't fight me on it. I don't know what I would have done if I'd had to stay with her another year but if it comes to that, I can only advise staying as busy as possible to stay away in general.

I hope you are able to convince her it is for the best and avoid a conflict. At any rate I wish you the best.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 AM

3,638 posts, read 3,764,195 times
You can do it, Radioactive99.

I hope transitioning to your grandmother's house go smoothly, but either way, I hope you get somewhere safe. And peaceful. I left home while still under 18 and completed high school while supporting myself. There were lots of temptations that can distract and de-rail teens, but I kept my focus and didn't go those ways. You can, too.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,016,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So, if you move out who is going to take care of the animals. Or don't you even care?

20yrsinBranson
Now, that was just nasty.

I'm an animal lover; I'd take a bullet to save my pupsters; but in this case, the young woman's welfare comes first. THAT many animals sounds like a hoarding situation, anyway. Once out of harm's way, I would suggest that the OP contact local animal welfare to check the situation out. If her mother has to rely on someone else or expects other people to care for the animals, it's clear that she shouldn't have them.

To the OP, your mother sounds like she's in the grip of a deep mental illness. I feel advised to warn you that she'll probably try to stop you from living with your grandmother. It's not that she doesn't want to lose you; she'll likely not want you to slip from her control. Expect her to ramp up her already awful behavior. If it turns out that you are not able to escape her until you are 18, just keep your head down, detach yourself emotionally as best you can, and look forward. At 17, it seems like a year is forever, but it will pass.

Please keep us updated.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,646,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive99 View Post
Also, my stepdad helps out when Im not there. She cares more about the animals than she does me so I know they will come to no harm and will be properly cared for.
Your mother is an animal hoarder. You need to contact Animal Control and the ASPCA so they are alerted to the situation.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,559,037 times
It's not your job to take care of that many animals, and I doubt they are all getting the care and attention they need. I'm sure you try, but that's just too many, and sounds almost like a hoarding situation. If I were you I'd start with a call to animal control, and ask for help. After they take the animals I'd pack my bags, and go to grandmas house. If your mom calls the police just tell them what happened.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM

24,180 posts, read 10,503,835 times
I would start with the student counselor at school to get information.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM

18 posts, read 22,851 times
Well the thing is, my mom is buddy buddy with our SPCA and Animal Control shelter. And as much as i hate to say it, they know how mentally ill she is and wouldn't do anything to take her animals away from her for fear shed come after them.

And Ive spoken to my school counselor and Principal and they know the conflicts in my life and what happens at home but they have never showed interest or tried to help.

And yes thats the thing Im afraid of most. That she will feel like shes losing control of me. Because she lives off controlling other people. Its her way or no way. Thank you, I will definitely try to update and find some help with the situation.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,684,735 times
You just go. Pack your bags and leave when you are legal age and have a place to stay (which you do).

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,714,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive99 View Post
I was hoping at least someone would know something. I guess im shooting in the dark here. Can I talk to a lawyer for free?
In California, the Office of Public Counsel may be able to help you. Their services are free, starting with an assessment of your case. If you live in other states, you may be able to find a pro-bono attorney/or advocate under your city's Legal Aid Foundation. Good luck, don't give up,

And, GOOD WORK! You are a youngster, keeping your wits about you, and keeping yourself together in the face of what sounds like are very difficult/challenging circumstances for you. Be encouraged. Things will get better. Maybe slowly, but they WILL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships