Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 22,855 times

Advertisements

Okay so at the moment I am 16. Ive been waiting to turn 17 for 4 years now because my mother is bipolar and has kicked me out her house numerous times calling me unimaginable names. Verbal and mental abuse has always been involved and I take care of all our animals including 20 dogs, 30 cats, 17 horses, 4 goats, 2 pigs, 50 chickens, and various others. Now you get the picture? Now Im not saying it will be easy but I am planning on moving in with my grandmother whom my mother does not get along with at all. Her own mother that she hit...I have a job and am saving for a car and I plan on going to high school online and continue to college. Im a great student and just need to get away from my mothers mood swings, bad behavior, and uncontrollable mouth. What do I need to do? Get emancipated? Somebody please help, I need advice on how to get away from her. Not how I should rethink my decision. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,842,172 times
You need advice from a lawyer in your area. This message board cannot be a lot of help since we do not know the law.

Also, it sounds like you are leaving a farm and would need to figure out what will happen to the animals when you leave.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 PM

I was hoping at least someone would know something. I guess im shooting in the dark here. Can I talk to a lawyer for free?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,074,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive99 View Post
Okay so at the moment I am 16. Ive been waiting to turn 17 for 4 years now because my mother is bipolar and has kicked me out her house numerous times calling me unimaginable names. Verbal and mental abuse has always been involved and I take care of all our animals including 20 dogs, 30 cats, 17 horses, 4 goats, 2 pigs, 50 chickens, and various others. Now you get the picture? Now Im not saying it will be easy but I am planning on moving in with my grandmother whom my mother does not get along with at all. Her own mother that she hit...I have a job and am saving for a car and I plan on going to high school online and continue to college. Im a great student and just need to get away from my mothers mood swings, bad behavior, and uncontrollable mouth. What do I need to do? Get emancipated? Somebody please help, I need advice on how to get away from her. Not how I should rethink my decision. Anyone?
So, if you move out who is going to take care of the animals. Or don't you even care?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,842,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive99 View Post
I was hoping at least someone would know something. I guess im shooting in the dark here. Can I talk to a lawyer for free?
You should be able to talk to a lawyer for free. Try legal aid services in your local yellow pages or call a law office and ask about a free consultation.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 PM

501 posts, read 799,390 times
You can Google "Legal Aid" for your area, they are lawyers who usually provide free consultations and also takes your cases free of charge or for a nominal fee (at their discretion). In the event you are able to be emancipated have you designated someone to care for your animals since your mother isn't dependable?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:18 PM

Of course I care. My mother is already planning on adopting out the majority of them because we do run our own rescue, but of course when I leave she can get out the bed and take care of her own animals. Ive been taking care of the animals she brings home ever since I was 8. Dont get me wrong, I love the animals with a my heart, but after a while it gets exhausting.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Also, my stepdad helps out when Im not there. She cares more about the animals than she does me so I know they will come to no harm and will be properly cared for.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,190,606 times
Best of luck to you, OP. I agree you should google legal aid in your area; you will be able to talk to someone for free. Also google emancipated minor for the state you live in. You would either have to be declared an emancipated minor or maybe have your grandmother become your guardian. Is your dad in the picture at all?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,894,489 times
The animals should be the least of your concerns. If you are already working and attending school, I'm not sure how you managed to take care of them all along.

Do you have a decent relationship with your stepfather? Ideally, you would be able to just tell your mother you're moving out, that you have another place to stay. Do you think she will try to stop you?

I have to warn you though, it will not be easy completing high school and working. You have to make sure you keep yourself motivated to finish school. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships