U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM

238 posts, read 1,038,226 times

Advertisements

I do not know many men who have real close friends. I see men who have drinking buddies, activity partners (golf and bowing) and groups of work friends who have lunch and talk about sports. But none of the men I know are really true friends who you could:

Call in the middle of the night crying
Have lunch with one on one and spill your heart out to
Spend hours on the phone talking to
Write long rambling emails or letters to

I think women have closer friendships and I am envious about it. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

4,270 posts, read 13,947,692 times
Well that's the problem sweetie ... what man do you know that cries, spills his guts, talks long hours on the phone or writes long emails? I cannot name one!!

On the other hand, my husband has a good childhood buddy that he's know for 20+ years. They hang out every time he's in town. that don't have a relationship like you described but that's as close to a 'best friend' as I can think of for him!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,945,048 times
My best friends are my 5 and 8 year olds. My wife comes in second, and I have a few CD friends. I guess that's what works for me. Don't get me wrong, I have some friends, co-workers, and neighbors that I associate with, but I don't really trust too many people enough to have a real close relationship. Call me sad or paraniod, but I've seen too many backstabbing people in my days. I guess that I like to play it safe. Many of the people that I do associate with are all over 70 years old. My wife says that I'm a young old guy, but I've learned that most of the time these friends aren't going to get you in trouble. They are really good to listen to and have a lot of wisdom.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM

176 posts, read 1,042,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I do not know many men who have real close friends. I see men who have drinking buddies, activity partners (golf and bowing) and groups of work friends who have lunch and talk about sports. But none of the men I know are really true friends who you could:

Here's how it is with my best friend:

I'll call him in the middle of the night drunk to let him know what a great time I'm having or that I hit the jackpot in Vegas.
I'll have lunch with him one on one and feel like everyone thinks we're gay (that's why we eat at the bar).
I spend hours talking to him over the XBOX360 wireless headset while we play video games together.
We write long rambling emails back and forth talking about XBOX360 or what our weekend plans are.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM

223 posts, read 637,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

I have several good friends with whom I can talk to - you could say we've spilt our hearts to eachother. The other instances you list are usually specific for female friends (I have called a female friend in the middle of the night crying - I'm male). Men usually dont put much emotion into talking with other men.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times
My boyfriend has two best male friends. One he went to college with. However we consider each other our dearest best friends and we talk about much more intimate and sensitive topics than he ever talks about with his male friends. Guy talk is definitely not equal to girl talk. And men aren't supposed to show any weaknesses in front of other males.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,543,575 times
I have many close male friends, one i've kept in close touch with since I was 19, i'm 49 now. But if they or myself ever cry over the phone, someone real close better have died. My guy friends and I feel a closeness from either years of knowing each other or we click on a sport or everyday comedy. I'm not real emotional person unless its real bad.
My wife is the same way, if she were real honest with me she'd say she prefers her male friends.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,311,468 times
I don't really cry about things to other guys (and I am gay) but I do like talking or complaining about who annoys me and I sometimes like to make fun of other people who annoy, hurt, or irritate me on purpose.

Concerning sensitivity. I think some guys are pretty capable of being sensitive. They should be IF they are really good friends. Sometimes people need to be related to or understood and that makes the friendship all that much more powerful. BUT is that now starting to sound like a female friendship????? just curious!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,119,644 times
Goodtype: Your question seems to have been answered most succintly thus far. Your feedback/response?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:56 PM

468 posts, read 1,514,078 times
I have a friend like that. I've known this person for around four years...one of the only persons i could tell my whole life story to, or any dark secrets I have in my life. Actually, it's kind of funny...everything you talk about I've done...most recently he's been abroad and I'm here in the states, and we keep in touch by either typing long rambling emails or through AIM...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships