Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times

Advertisements

He sure did not learn anything in AA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If I were the manager at the Independence Center, I would be VERY concerned that one of my employees was a pothead.

How can he even focus on one document, let alone wade through stacks of paperwork on someone's behalf?

I wouldn't trust him with my grocery list.
This is one of the major reasons I'm so fed up with Tim. Folks come to him for help and he either blows them off or else does a half assed job. If he can't do the job he needs to quit. His disabled clients need help, not a ringside seat to Tim's fight to the bitter end with his supervisor. This thought apparently doesn't even cross Tim's mind. He even blew off the group for folks with brain injuries that he's supposed to have been facilitating for the past few months. "Oh, those people never remember anything. They won't even notice if there's a meeting or not," was his excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachmel
I'm so sorry to hear about this latest dilemna with Tim. Perhaps it's time to find a new advocate with the organization. Hopefully, he will realize just how thin the ice is that he's skating on and get some professional help.
Well, I hope Tim will do that, too. Doesn't seem like he will any time soon, though. I'm going to have to find an outside advocate. It's too messed up for me to go to the Independence Center as long as Tim still works there. Small town = small staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious
OP: What do you see in this person? What positive influences or experiences does he bring to your life? I get the feeling you may like the drama a little bit too much. I would find another hobby, if I were you - other, more positive ways to fill your time.
I'd send that feeling back to the store and ask for a refund, since it's wrong.

a) If I want drama, all I need is to do is lead my own life. It's more than exciting enough for me.

b) When I met Tim four years ago, his pot habit was nothing like it is now. He did me many kindnesses and helped me out of a couple of major jams. He was a very good friend, so I tried to cut him some slack. I'll admit that I let this go on too long, but I'm finished with it now.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I think this is excellent advise, cheryjohns. The more I think about it, the more clearly I see that Tim came over ONLY to let me know how "stupid" I am. Tim was supposed to be my official representative on a serious matter relating to my disability. The paperwork surrounding this issue has left me feeling overwhelmed and baffled. I don't know what all that legalese means. In theory, Tim was going to help me fill it all out so I could mail it off last week and be done with that part of it, anyhow. Needless to say, Tim never even so much as mentioned THAT. I'm going to have to write them and get his name taken off my stuff, and attempt to wade through all those documents on my own, since I know of no other agency around here that will help me besides the one Tim works for. What a mess!

Call your local Legal Aid. I'm sure you'll be able to find a paralegal or even attorney that will go over the paperwork carefully, then sit down with you and explain it in layman's terms.

If this is paperwork for disability, he may just be offering to help and hang around hoping you'll pay him...gotta keep that weed coming in ya know...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Kelly is that you?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Kelly is that you?
Was that addressed to me?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I think you should entirely back off with any contact with this guy. What comes to mind come to mind immediately is he is not stable, he is targeting you, at the same time he is using you to enable him to keep rationalizing.

In short, rather than take a look at himself, and his problems, he is targeting you. As long as you allow him to do that, he will stay stuck. Whatever emotions he vented on you, satisfied him...then he went home to smoke.

Turn your back on him. It isn't a bad thing to let folks like him hit their own bottom, and he will.

Personally, I might warn his supervisor, anonymously. But, that is your decision..you are a better gage of this man's propensity towards threats and his demeanor.

It is amazing that in your post, you mention he is an IT and where ever you work their is case management involved. You also mentioned his "leading groups" That really concerns me, as it should you and anyone aware of this man's inability to perform his job functions.

I certainly hope it is not a situation that involves life decisions for your clients. As you mention many aware co-workers are obviously involved, know this man's behaviors...it would be negligent to not intervene.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think you should entirely back off with any contact with this guy. What comes to mind come to mind immediately is he is not stable, he is targeting you, at the same time he is using you to enable him to keep rationalizing.

In short, rather than take a look at himself, and his problems, he is targeting you. As long as you allow him to do that, he will stay stuck. Whatever emotions he vented on you, satisfied him...then he went home to smoke.

Turn your back on him. It isn't a bad thing to let folks like him hit their own bottom, and he will.

Personally, I might warn his supervisor, anonymously. But, that is your decision..you are a better gage of this man's propensity towards threats and his demeanor.

It is amazing that in your post, you mention he is an IT and where ever you work their is case management involved. You also mentioned his "leading groups" That really concerns me, as it should you and anyone aware of this man's inability to perform his job functions.

I certainly hope it is not a situation that involves life decisions for your clients. As you mention many aware co-workers are obviously involved, know this man's behaviors...it would be negligent to not intervene.
I only just now saw your reply. Tim tried to call me about ninety-eleven times yesterday, but I refused to answer. He left me some voice mails too, and I haven't listened to any of them either. I don't have the energy for all this drama. I've got plenty of stuff of my own to worry about. Maybe I'll listen to the voice mails tomorrow if I'm up for it. Then again, maybe I won't.

Yes, one of the things that upsets me most is that Tim is doing such a poor job for his clients - if he does anything at all for them. One of the (many) things he complains about is that clients who "should" be coming to HIM walk right past him and talk with his co-worker, Rose, instead. Big surprise. Rose views disabled folks with sympathy and tries to help. Tim views them as an annoyance and tries to get rid of clients as quickly as possible. The only reason he's mad that people ignore him in front of Rose is that he knows Rose will have to tell their supervisor about it.

Rose is now doing her own job PLUS most of Tim's. It's not that she enjoys ratting Tim out, but she does have to account for all the hours she is currently putting in.

Again, I am disabled myself. I don't work for the Independence Center, I am a client there - or was. This is a major disaster for me, and I bet I'm not alone.

Since Tim has officially filed a grievance against his supervisor, I don't know how that works. Apparently he gets to continue to "work" until the issue is settled? I get a headache just thinking about it.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
I only just now saw your reply. Tim tried to call me about ninety-eleven times yesterday, but I refused to answer. He left me some voice mails too, and I haven't listened to any of them either. I don't have the energy for all this drama. I've got plenty of stuff of my own to worry about. Maybe I'll listen to the voice mails tomorrow if I'm up for it. Then again, maybe I won't.

Yes, one of the things that upsets me most is that Tim is doing such a poor job for his clients - if he does anything at all for them. One of the (many) things he complains about is that clients who "should" be coming to HIM walk right past him and talk with his co-worker, Rose, instead. Big surprise. Rose views disabled folks with sympathy and tries to help. Tim views them as an annoyance and tries to get rid of clients as quickly as possible. The only reason he's mad that people ignore him in front of Rose is that he knows Rose will have to tell their supervisor about it.

Rose is now doing her own job PLUS most of Tim's. It's not that she enjoys ratting Tim out, but she does have to account for all the hours she is currently putting in.

Again, I am disabled myself. I don't work for the Independence Center, I am a client there - or was. This is a major disaster for me, and I bet I'm not alone.

Since Tim has officially filed a grievance against his supervisor, I don't know how that works. Apparently he gets to continue to "work" until the issue is settled? I get a headache just thinking about it.
I'm going to assume this is the SW Center for Independence, right? This is not a Union, so he does not get to work until the issue is settled unless the it is in the bylaws of the non - profit.

I would reach out to the Director and ask her to assign you to someone who can better help you. If she presses on why, you can decide to answer or simply just say that you do not feel comfortable working with Tim. If you can't get anywhere, then contact the Board via mail and tell them your story with the intent of getting the help you need first and foremost, and to let them know that Tim needs some attention. Perhaps they will get him help and, of course, remove him from contact with those seeking help until he does.

The Director and all of the staff are accountable to the Board, and the Board are accountable to those who fund the non-profit, including their government funding, so they have some motivation to do the right thing for you.

Perhaps you can ask a friend or other benefits coordinator to reach out on your behalf if you are feeling a little awkward or too close, but I'm pretty sure no matter what someone at least from the Durango office will find someone to help you.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I'm going to assume this is the SW Center for Independence, right? This is not a Union, so he does not get to work until the issue is settled unless the it is in the bylaws of the non - profit.

I would reach out to the Director and ask her to assign you to someone who can better help you. If she presses on why, you can decide to answer or simply just say that you do not feel comfortable working with Tim. If you can't get anywhere, then contact the Board via mail and tell them your story with the intent of getting the help you need first and foremost, and to let them know that Tim needs some attention. Perhaps they will get him help and, of course, remove him from contact with those seeking help until he does.

The Director and all of the staff are accountable to the Board, and the Board are accountable to those who fund the non-profit, including their government funding, so they have some motivation to do the right thing for you.

Perhaps you can ask a friend or other benefits coordinator to reach out on your behalf if you are feeling a little awkward or too close, but I'm pretty sure no matter what someone at least from the Durango office will find someone to help you.
Thanks for your reply! Since you're actually from this part of the world, you know how bizarre things can get in small towns like Mancos and Cortez. Durango is a little better but not much, and the supervisor has her office out of Durango. Since Tim is already in serious trouble at work, if I went to his supervisor the **** would hit the fan here in Cortez. There's no way that a client living in Cortez and driving all the way over to Durango for help instead of walking across the street to get it here wouldn't excite office gossip. Tim would probably know about it before I even had the chance to stop in at the Millwood for lunch on the way home.

I just don't need it.

I'll think of something, but right now all this stress is making me physically ill. I'm giving myself the weekend off from EVERYTHING. Maybe by Monday some bright idea will work its way into my fevered little brain...

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply! Since you're actually from this part of the world, you know how bizarre things can get in small towns like Mancos and Cortez. Durango is a little better but not much, and the supervisor has her office out of Durango. Since Tim is already in serious trouble at work, if I went to his supervisor the **** would hit the fan here in Cortez. There's no way that a client living in Cortez and driving all the way over to Durango for help instead of walking across the street to get it here wouldn't excite office gossip. Tim would probably know about it before I even had the chance to stop in at the Millwood for lunch on the way home.

I just don't need it.

I'll think of something, but right now all this stress is making me physically ill. I'm giving myself the weekend off from EVERYTHING. Maybe by Monday some bright idea will work its way into my fevered little brain...
I totally understand where you are coming from.

I think taking a break from it all is good medicine. The weather is fabulous right now and I hope it holds out to add to the enjoyment of your break from the stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships