Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM

96 posts, read 194,266 times

Advertisements

Just to wrap it up. She has decided to take divorce and move out because even if MIL lives in a nearby place, her husband's money and time would go there and sooner or later MIL will get sick and son this moving in issue would rise again. in the mean while he'll resent her for putting him in a difficult position because mum and siblings would make sure of it. She thinks that she has made enough sacrifices for her husband and if he keeps putting his family first then he should do it on his own. She wants to live her own life and rather go live with her parents once boys are gone to college. Her boys support their mother, after all they are their father's sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Wow, if my MIL had come to live with us. Couldn't imagine that scenario. Luckily, my husband wouldn't have ever considered that one!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger G View Post
Then again, he is not the only child. Why would parents and siblings take advantage of emotional push overs? She can live with or near another child. He is already supporting financially, why can't another one support logistically? Single one doesn't have a spouse who needs to be consulted, so better position then other siblings.
I think because often in those cultures, only one child is groomed to be the caretaker. I've seen that very close up -- the others are encouraged to have their lives, their careers, their families, just one is expected to give up everything to live out her/his life as a caretaker. More often it seems to be a daughter that is selected and groomed.

Why does anyone have to have her come live with them? She's not incapacitated it sounds, she can take care of herself I assume.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Just to wrap it up. She has decided to take divorce and move out because even if MIL lives in a nearby place, her husband's money and time would go there and sooner or later MIL will get sick and son this moving in issue would rise again. in the mean while he'll resent her for putting him in a difficult position because mum and siblings would make sure of it. She thinks that she has made enough sacrifices for her husband and if he keeps putting his family first then he should do it on his own. She wants to live her own life and rather go live with her parents once boys are gone to college. Her boys support their mother, after all they are their father's sons.
Maybe that's the best since he would probably never be happy if he's not catering to his mommy's wishes. How sad -- but the mother in law is most likely very delighted and will have her son back taking all his orders.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM

170 posts, read 373,959 times
That was my point of view, handing over everything to MIL is accepting defeat. However, she is sick and tired of this stressful life and being painted as the bad guy. She says let MIL win, I don't care.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Something else, too, is that she's "only" 70, and she could be around considerably longer (if she doesn't put everyone else in the grave first).

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Talking Huh?

Quote:
She wants to live her own life and rather go live with her parents once boys are gone to college. Her boys support their mother, after all they are their father's sons.
I fail to see how that is living her own life, but hey, that's just me.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM

170 posts, read 373,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I fail to see how that is living her own life, but hey, that's just me.
She is not moving in with her parents but her stance is that IF she EVER decided to be a long term care giver then she rather do it for her own parents who have no other child. They dont want her to do care for them and already have their long term care plans sorted out.Both her parents and her sons want her to enjoy life and find someone who doesn't have a prophecy to fulfill.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Oh, I see your point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships