Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:32 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Thanks for helping me process this all out. One of my "half brothers" died the other day, and that is what brought this out. I never really knew him. I guess I am supposed to feel something, like a loss? I had a brother? but I never really knew him, so...who was he to me? I don't know.

I just wonder, if all these men, who have kids, wonder the havoc they wreck in their kids lives. Tons of kids, with different women, and just move on...it is messed up.

We have all "friended" each other on FB. I am good with that.
This is a way reminds me of adoption. Our son has a sibling and a few half-siblings and I wonder if they knew about him would they care, want to meet him? He has DS and wouldn't really understand. I don't think there would be a "connection", maybe they would want to meet him out of curiosity.

We lived in a town where "sperm donors" weren't that unusual and most of their "recipients" ended up on public assistance. I think every girl/woman thought they would be the one to change the guy and, of course, the guy tries to find the most vulnerable of the women or the ones that want to save someone, which doesn't work. The guy, when he can get away with it, swears to his next victim that the other kids aren't his and/or that what he feels for her is different. I think that mentally they have some sort of disorder probably along the lines of narcissistic personality disorder or some other self-centered issue. The worst of them are proud of having all of these children like it makes them a "stud" and those should be neutered for sure.

Do you think that maybe "curiosity" is a reason they all want to get together? I think FB with them will be good so you can explore your differences and similarities from a distance and maybe choose to know one or more later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
This is an interesting thread. My niece's father saw her once when she was a few days old. We know he married and had at least two other children, boys, after that. My niece is 34 years old I always wonder why she has never made an attempt to meet her natural half brothers, because I would want to, but I am not in her position (she has never met her father, either) so I can't say. I would never bring this subject up to her. The curiosity is all mine. I think it would bug me to know I had siblings out there somewhere and would want to at least see what they look like.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
We adopted our oldest child, who is now in her 40's ... a sealed adoption. We had two more children and all three were raised together. When all this adoptees came about searching for their biological parents we had long talks with our oldest daughter. Do you want to find your biological mother/father? We will help you if that is what you want. In addition only our daughter can petition the court to have the sealed records opened.

Her reply has always been, no you are my mother and dad is my father and I have a brother and sister. I guess it just depends on the individual. My niece was adopted and located her biological parents. It was hello and goodbye with the mother as she was married to another man and literally met my niece on the front porch of her house and didn't even invite her inside. Her biological father wanted to borrow money from her.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I have input from three different situations that are similar to yours.

First, me. My father was married three times, with my mom being his second wife. He legally adopted my older brother (who is biologically my half sibling) because he was just a baby when my parents met. Prior to meeting my mother, though, he had four kids from his first marriage. So I had four half siblings from his first marriage. One, a brother, died young. The other three all live within an hour or so of me and they are all a minimum of 11 years older than I am. I have met my half brothers on a handful of occasions, and I didn't meet my half sister until our father died 10 years ago. My father was very insistent on keeping his "other kids" separate from us and us from them. I don't know his reasons but that's how he was. I think he felt guilt about re-marrying and having more children.

I always felt sad about this, knowing I had other siblings close by geographically but that they are virtual strangers. I think it was, in part, because I grew up basically as an only child. The brother I grew up with was nine years older and moved out when I was just nine. Technically my "half" brother but never anything besides brother to me. He and I were (and are) very close but I always longed for a "big" family. I was VERY sad when he moved out (he got married). I never had cousins that I was close to, or much extended family at all. It was just me and my mother from early on. My Grandmother lived across the country and I wasn't close with my Aunt or Uncles (father's siblings). I spent minimal time with my father. I also always REALLY wanted a sister. My half sister does not want to have a relationship with me though. She hasn't come out and said it but my attempts to contact her have proved fruitless, even though I am in contact with her son (my nephew) who is actually close to me in age.

My half brothers are "Facebook friends" and that is it. It has always left me with a sense of having missed out. I still kind of wish we were close, that our kids knew each other, that my kids had them in their lives as Uncles / Aunt and vice versa but oh well. I spent some time with one of my half brothers when I was a kid; it was just a weekend but he was really loving and kind towards me and I always remember that weekend. He is the most "friendly" to me now but it's still just limited to saying Happy Birthday on Facebook or whatever. The other one is too much like my father.. ugh. I don't think there's a future for a relationship there.

Next, my wife; she has a very similar situation to yours, in that her father has, that she knows of, something like 15 kids with at least 13 different women. He even gave two of his daughters the same name, years apart! Creepy! And my wife also grew up as an only child, even though her mother also had kids -- six -- who were raised by their father. So, all total my wife has something like 21 (!!) half siblings and she grew up an only child. She would really like to know more about them but hasn't even managed to track them down or sort them all out. She did meet one half sister and an Aunt, but it kind of "fizzled" after the initial excitement. I think she would definitely go to a "reunion"/meetup if she could, but only if it was easily affordable. I know she wouldn't want to do it if it was a financial strain. There is still a strong desire to eventually know her half siblings though. And again, maybe it is because, like me, she grew up with just her mother, mainly, and she didn't have the greatest childhood. Maybe for us both it is about some fantasy about big, happy families. Who knows.

Now, my oldest son has half siblings as well, that he has never met. His father was one who "got around", and there are four half siblings that he claims but I suspect there are more around town that he denies! I joke with my son that he should make sure any girl he ends up with knows who her father is or she could end up being a half sister! Anyway my son is 21, but when he was 18 his father (after 15 years of totally ignoring his existence) let me know that he'd like him to meet his younger half siblings (all younger -- they live with him and he is married to their mother) and wanted me to pass on the contact info to my son. I was kind of surprised but my son has zero interest in meeting them. The way he put it, it would just be weird. He said "I have a brother already, it's hard to think of someone else as my sibling.." referring to his half brother that he grew up with (my younger son). So for him, there's just no desire, but I think (I hope he agrees!) that he has had a pretty emotionally fulfilling upbringing and a good relationship with his brother, and maybe that's it. I don't know.

As others have said, it is obviously a very individual decision and you shouldn't feel bad one way or the other. I don't expect or want my half siblings to feel bad because we don't have a relationship... I mean, it makes me sad but I am not blaming them for it. I think they possibly picked up negative attitudes from their own mother about their father's "new family", meaning me and my mom and brother, and that probably has an influence now that they aren't even aware of.

Finally; yes, it is sad when people just procreate willy nilly without regard to how this affects children all in different homes.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to CONCEIVE!"

Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We adopted our oldest child, who is now in her 40's ... a sealed adoption. We had two more children and all three were raised together. When all this adoptees came about searching for their biological parents we had long talks with our oldest daughter. Do you want to find your biological mother/father? We will help you if that is what you want. In addition only our daughter can petition the court to have the sealed records opened.

Her reply has always been, no you are my mother and dad is my father and I have a brother and sister. I guess it just depends on the individual. My niece was adopted and located her biological parents. It was hello and goodbye with the mother as she was married to another man and literally met my niece on the front porch of her house and didn't even invite her inside. Her biological father wanted to borrow money from her.
I have another niece who is adopted and is now 24. My sister and her husband left information at the adoption agency so that my niece can be contacted if the birth mother ever wants to reach out, and my niece can also attempt to contact the birth mother if she desires. Over the years, my sister sent photos to the adoption agency, but the birth mother never picked them up. My niece does know that subsequent to her birth, another baby was given up for adoption, and then her birth mother had and kept two more kids, but lost custody of them to her own mother. She has drug problems. My niece was conceived in a one-night-stand in a rehab, and the only information she has about her natural father is "dark-skinned black male named Jim."

My niece said she would like to do a drive-by just to see what her birth mother looks like, but she is afraid to get in contact with her for fear she'll have this needy drug addict on her hands looking for money and help. I haven't heard her ever mention her half-siblings, though.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Of course I would want to see them. I would want to see if we could open a gate for the future relationship as relatives we would be. I like to see my relatives time to time, but only those I like of course

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 AM

438 posts, read 660,280 times
i have siblings, half siblings and 3/4 siblings ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships