Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times

Advertisements

Late 50's, no kids never ever regretted it. In fact Im very glad. I have a very fulfilling life, and kids wouldnt have changed anything for the better. After seeing all the problems my friends have had with their kids, Im doubly glad I didnt have kids. There is nothing easy about it. It should be a law that only people who really truly want kids and are financially able to support them would be allowed to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
BRAVO--I applaud this post. It's certainly a roll of the dice when one chooses to have a child; or even to adopt a child.
I have 2 very close friends raising handicapped children. One is in her 40s with a husband and a full time time, the child is 12. My other friend is 65, "raising" her 32 year old totally handicapped daughter (who is mentally about 6) on her own. I feel so sorry for her that it just hurts me. This "child" is severely handicapped, can't walk on her own, can't talk. She has never complained, but Im sure this is not how she thought her life would be.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
My experience is women 45 and older who haven't had kids will say (whether sincere or not) they are glad they didn't have kids, that they never wanted kids (whether that is true or not).
It is sincerely true for me at least.

I am so very thankful everyday that I chose to be child free in this lifetime.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Married my wife when she was 29. I was kid neutral. She was anti-kid. She turned 36 and had a change of heart. Asked me if we could have a baby. Being 41 at the time I said she had until my birthday to get pregnant (7 months away). It took 3 months.
I am very happy and proud to be a dad to a healthy boy today and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
... Unlike others, I've known so many miserable women who continually complain about their kids, husbands & having no time for themselves. They look outstandingly unhappy & far older than their ages. I don't know if they wish they'd never had them (maybe they'd be miserable no matter their situation), but once they're born, a woman's life is decided for the next 18-yrs ...
I once had a therapist tell me that the most unhappy people she treated were middle-aged women with husbands and children who weren't satisfied with the way their lives had turned out. They didn't believe their husbands loved them anymore but they felt required to keep their marriage vows, and/or they didn't really like their now-adult children, and/or they were crushed by the fantasy of what they had missed in life while devoting themselves to others. NOTE: I am NOT suggesting this is the majority of women. I personally know many women who adore the results of the marriage and children they dedicated their lives to and who don't covet the single life in any way. But what I am suggesting is for every woman who regrets not having had kids, there are those who regret they did. Unfortunately, the choice a woman makes to become a parent, or not to become a parent, is pretty much irreversible. But for women, it pretty much is. For men, less so, given that society is much more able to forgive a man who abandons his family than a woman who does so.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:31 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I once had a therapist tell me that the most unhappy people she treated were middle-aged women with husbands and children who weren't satisfied with the way their lives had turned out. They didn't believe their husbands loved them anymore but they felt required to keep their marriage vows, and/or they didn't really like their now-adult children, and/or they were crushed by the fantasy of what they had missed in life while devoting themselves to others. NOTE: I am NOT suggesting this is the majority of women. I personally know many women who adore the results of the marriage and children they dedicated their lives to and who don't covet the single life in any way. But what I am suggesting is for every woman who regrets not having had kids, there are those who regret they did. Unfortunately, the choice a woman makes to become a parent, or not to become a parent, is pretty much irreversible. But for women, it pretty much is. For men, less so, given that society is much more able to forgive a man who abandons his family than a woman who does so.
This...

I read some article a while back that some British columnist wrote on this exact subject. She did a brutal self assessment and came to the conclusion that marriage and kids in her opinion were "terribly overrated".

I remember thinking it must have been awful if her hubby and kids read it.... I was a big deal, it was all of the parenting sites and magazines... I forget when it was, but it was fairly recently.

I don't have kids and as I posted earlier in the thread I, every once in a great while, give it a thought and it seems like I might have missed out, but it recedes just as quickly as it came... so I'm 99.5 percent certain that I made the right choice.

As I type this, I'm gonna turn 44 this month... one thing I feel like.... I feel like if I were to have been a dad... I know, know... that I would have been a great one...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
"Now, don't get me wrong. I don't like children. Babies specifically repulse me."
Just another data point.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 PM

112 posts, read 308,672 times
I decided at 30-something not to have a baby. I revisited the concept when I turned 40. I realized deep down inside I did not want to have a baby. Now I am, well, let's just say older, and now I can't change my mind. And I have no regrets. Go with your heart. It will lead the way.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I'm going on 37 so far no regrets.

I see way too many parents regret it. A lot are honest with me and not others, because they feel they can't be with other parents. They feel they will be shamed for it, but me not wanting kids, they tend to tell me the truth.
I see way too many parents who think they have to give up a retirement and go for broke when their kids want to return to the nest after college, or later in their 30's, live in the basement and slack. Or, they have to bail their kids out of jail, trouble, drugs, unemployment, debt. Or, they have to raise their grandchildren and they can't stand it.
I know a lot who tell me they wished they had done things different.

I do know many parents who do a great job and wouldn't have it any other way, though. But they seemed to know from day 1, that was the path they should take. The ones who regret it often questioned things or had accidents. I dunno, I think some are made for it and know in their heart that parenting is for them.

The ones that question it might go on to parent for the wrong reasons. I think people should maybe not have kids if they are just having them to please others, or have them just because they think they are supposed to or are bored, afraid of regret, or think these kids will take care of them later, etc. The successful happy parents seem to be the ones who chose parenthood for the right reasons; the ones where both parties are in it and commited to the work of parenthood as well.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM

166 posts, read 300,182 times
Default Wow you got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
I just regret that so many other people did have kids.

Why Don’t Kids Make Us Happy?

And before anyone starts in with the 'responsibility of raising the next generation' thing, I'd like to point out that there are now over seven billion people on the planet. One or two would be just fine, thank you.

Raising kids is an important job to be sure, but too many do it and too few do it well.
Like what you said about you just regret that so many other people DID have kids--it's funny,profound,sad and true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships