Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times

Advertisements

your guy friend wil love it!
His wife will hate it,and will never let him out the house with you unsupervised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
How about something off the wedding register for the wedding and swords for his birthday?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I think that would be a really thoughtful and awesome gift for his birthday sometime, but a bit odd for a wedding gift.

It really depends on his wife though...my BIL is into swords and things like that, and my sister doesn't mind him decorating the house with swords.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Then again...perhaps since she is "The Bride"!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
How about take a look at the register and see what has been chosen then go from there. If there is something on the register that she likes you can perhaps get one set of swords and have your family send you something similar to an item on the register that is geared more toward the bride. That way you have covered both the Bride and the Groom with a unique gift.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
I'd give what you want to give. I don't buy into everyone having to launch the couple into their domestic life via the register concept. I think it is great for those who want to. Particularly family who are interested in setting them up in a nice home. But friends who know the couple well enough to pick a personalized gift should do so. The best gifts I got for my wedding were the off register ones because they were individually picked by the person who thought I'd like them. I have two displayed in my home right now. I don't know what I'm still using from the register. In fact I only did the register thing to make it easy for people. If I had it to do again I wouldn't register as I'd rather see what people come up with on their own.

What is your sense of the couple? Are they on a cash call or gift acquisition mission with the wedding? If not go with a personalized gift.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
But getting more rare every day. Don't jinx it. Never give newlyweds knives, etc. Cutting tools cut the bonds. I am not superstitious but why "temp" fate?
My wife's uncle gave us a set of knives for our wedding. My wife's mother wondered about it, but we used those knives for 15 years without tempting fate.

To the OP, a lot would depend on her tastes for decor. How does he decorate his place? Will the swords fit in? If they do, then some of it will likely stay, even if it doesn't fit her style. While swords wouldn't be my first choice, they would be a unique gift that the families would talk about. I think I'd have my relatives get the swords. In the meantime, try to meet the bride to see where her tastes lie. If the swords don't fit, you can always send them to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
What about looking for a decorative Japanese scroll, fabric wall hanging or framed print? A set of Japanese swords is just too masculine a gift for a couple, plus the possible bad luck connotations of giving a gift of knives.

Otherwise, I love Japanese culture also, and another reason I am not keen on this gift is because those swords you pictured are brand new. Had they been a set of rare antique swords, then I'd be more for them as a gift... because of their high value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If all of you think this is a bad idea, I guess I will just go with the more traditional gift. Like bed in a bag or a cooking set. boring yet practical I guess.
^^^ Otherwise, this is extreme in the completely opposite direction. How many wedding gifts have you purchased in your lifetime?

And what is your budget for this gift?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I can't see how it could be wrong, especially when you "KNOW my friend would love it'...maybe you could also include something Japanese that his wife would love to have as well, unless of course she's into swords too.
Give him the samurai sword and her a set of ginsu knives! ginsu knives - Google Search

Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I would not give that. A wedding gift is supposed to be something they can both use in the new life they are starting together. Something only he loves would be better suited to Christmas or a birthday, and really it's kind of dissing her as part of the couple. If you want to give something different, look on their online registry to get a sense of her tastes, then give something (not on the registry if you prefer) that fits in with her tastes as well as what he likes.

One of the fun parts of starting a new life together for a woman is getting to decorate their home, and IMO she'll end up stuck decorating in a theme that fits with the swords, which would not be fair to either of them, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships