Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times

Advertisements

I am sorry about this and can relate. I have been dealing with medical problems for awhile and have a close family member who will say hurtful and uncaring things. He even told me my diagnosis was my fault and if I tried I could get better. My condition is chronic and I cant will myself better. Anyhow it makes me feel alone, hurt, and judged. I had to separate myself from this family member because I end up in tears and feeling worse. I did state though before I did this how it made me feel about the hurtful comments and tried to explain my condition and symptoms. Some people though never get it regardless of how educated they are.
I am not saying to cut ties with this friend or stay friends. Only you know what is healthy. I will say using your voice and telling someone how hurt you feel can help. Even if they don't change just getting it off your chest.
I hope you feel better and get the support you deserve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Default A friend of mine told me today that I don't have a certain medical condition....

I'm sorry your friend has distressed you by her thoughtlessness. Perhaps one day she will understand she has hurt you, and will ask for forgiveness.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
With friends like that, you don't need enemies. Ignore her or just stay away from her. A friend of mine's child was diagnosed with epilepsy and like you she had the Grand Mal seizures which as a child this is a total nightmare to the child and parents.

Apparently your friend has never witnessed a seizure!! Please don't get stressed out and have a seizure. My friend's daughter married and everything was going well for a period of time with medication. The marriage fell apart stress, depression and forgetting to take her meds brought the seizures back.

She is fine again now that her life is back in order. She hasn't had a seizure since 2007.

Don't listen to this know it all quack medical adviser. You and your doctors know your health conditions not some person that has known you for such a short time.
That is exactly brought my seizures on the last time. Separation. My ex taking my daughter and me not being able to get her back except by way of the police and him taking her again, and on and on. Him coming to my house with the police and his mother and sister all the time.

I can't even remember how many seizures I had during that time. It was going on from the time I left him for probably nine months later that I had his harassment.

I found myself in an ambulance one time and had no idea how I got there. =/ I had a seizure walking up to the drugstore from my house. A very short walk. The mechanics across the street saw me and called 911.

It's pretty scary....

Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm sorry your friend has distressed you by her thoughtlessness. Perhaps one day she will understand she has hurt you, and will ask for forgiveness.
Macrina, I doubt it, because she never thinks she is wrong about anything. I think it would take me having a seizure right in front of her for that to happen.... maybe.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thank you. Its been a while, almost 13 years, and about 18 years for my dad.... it doesn't go away, but time helps....
Sorry, I misunderstood what you had said. Truth is, we carry them with us.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Pik, you are in a really good place now and don't need this $hit from anyone. Just don't get into it with her ever....just re-direct the conversation or get up and walk away. Stress will do you more harm than good. Hang in there!!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Pik, you are in a really good place now and don't need this $hit from anyone. Just don't get into it with her ever....just re-direct the conversation or get up and walk away. Stress will do you more harm than good. Hang in there!!
This is true, Tas. Thank you!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:25 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I wouldn't consider this person a friend. A friend wouldn't be acting this way about a medical condition. This could be a liability. I would distance myself from the "friendship" slowly and replace her with someone who has a clue and can care about a person. People like this can be toxic but in your case, I'm guessing, you are smart enough to not buy into giving up medications and such. Some of these people get these crazy ideas because they read something on the internet. Replace the friend with someone that is compassionate.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I wouldn't consider this person a friend. A friend wouldn't be acting this way about a medical condition. This could be a liability. I would distance myself from the "friendship" slowly and replace her with someone who has a clue and can care about a person. People like this can be toxic but in your case, I'm guessing, you are smart enough to not buy into giving up medications and such. Some of these people get these crazy ideas because they read something on the internet. Replace the friend with someone that is compassionate.
Yes, I would never stop my medications. I don't spend a heck of a lot of time with her. Every once in a while we will run errands together. Usually every Sunday we have breakfast and go to Sunday School.

My SO and her husband have been best friends since they were in school. Neither she nor I are from this area and both moved here to be with our SO/husband.

I do have other friends I see on occasion and will be starting college this month, so I may meet some other people. I stress the word may because I will be older than all of the other students.

I know that she has no idea about many medical issues. I have worked in the medical field for 12 years or so. She is just one of those people that thinks she knows everything.

I am pretty sure someone will put her in her place one of these days but for now, it will not be me.

I do like her and we do do things together and for one another. I just have to understand the type of personality she has.

In all reality, I am better friends with her husband. When we all go out together, the four of us plus one of his other friends, much of the time it is pretty stressful, because she is always arguing w her husband..... very easy going and fun when she is not there. =/

Ah well. Yep, I know better than to change any of my medications or stop them. I have been taking them for 28 years now...

Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
This is not a "friend". This is a toxic person in your life. Dump that toxin down the sewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships