Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times

Advertisements

I own a very boring Toyota compact that is 8 years old and only has 38k miles. When I purchased the car, it took me five minutes to pick it out. It was the showroom car and I bought it on the spot, lol. I just wanted something functional and reliable. Although I do take care of the car, it is a mass of scrapes, scratches from time spent outdoors, stray shopping carts, other drivers opening doors into my car, etc. The poor car shows quite a bit of exterior wear and tear. MY two kids have really banged up the car as well.

Think that I'm going to wait a few more years and then buy myself a nice compact mini SUV at some point. At this point, I just feel a bit blah about owning a nicer car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 AM

210 posts, read 708,073 times
We drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Wonder what that says about our family?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I drive a 96 Suburban, very well taken care of and very clean. If you saw me, a 39 year old guy driving around in a Suburban like that, what would you think it says about me as a guy?

Just curious.
If it were a newer one, I'd get the impression you were a snob. But an older one, and properly cared for, I'd picture you as a responsible person.

So - if you bought it 17 years ago new when you were 22, I would picture you as a snobby drug dealer that has since reformed!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:32 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
In summation, what have we learned here? To the person who thinks I am an internet billionaire who is environmentally friendly ... that was a good one, but way off. Then the other person who couldn't figure it out unless I am driving an old Porsche ...nope, it is 1 year old.

This has been an interesting exercise in labeling people and/or trying to pigeon hole someone based on the car they drive. Either way, it was an amusing exercise and a sad comment about our society.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
In summation, what have we learned here? To the person who thinks I am an internet billionaire who is environmentally friendly ... that was a good one, but way off. Then the other person who couldn't figure it out unless I am driving an old Porsche ...nope, it is 1 year old.

This has been an interesting exercise in labeling people and/or trying to pigeon hole someone based on the car they drive. Either way, it was an amusing exercise and a sad comment about our society.
I would think you're someone that loves a fast car, but either has a long commute or is on the road a lot (due to work?) and wants to be "practical" too. And of course, someone that can afford both.

I say that because if I could afford anything, I'd have a sports car, cuz I love driving, a truck or SUV to haul stuff, go off-roading if needed, take my dogs places, and a fast, but fun commuter car. Variety is the spice of life!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Well I would assume you had a kid or was broke, and i'd run the other way because those are the two worst things. I don't like SUVs, trucks or "mom" vehicles. Two doors cars only, pref sports cars or luxury cars. If the car can fit a baby seat in the back of it, the car stays on the lot for me. I flat out refuse to ever own a 4 door vehicle.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
This question is directed to the ladies...

I've driven many types of cars from older VW Beetles, mini vans, hatchbacks, sedans, trucks, SUV's....you name it. I'm curious what my current vehicle says about me to the ladies.

I drive a 96 Suburban, very well taken care of and very clean. If you saw me, a 39 year old guy driving around in a Suburban like that, what would you think it says about me as a guy?

Just curious.
A family man.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat70 View Post
I somehow doubt that. That makes no sense. Unless it is an old Porsche.
My husband used to have a Prius and a Porsche Turbo S. The Prius was his primary commuting vehicle and the Porsche was an impractical fun vehicle he used to use on weekends to get his hair cut. Both have since been replaced with a Land Cruiser.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
This question is directed to the ladies...

I've driven many types of cars from older VW Beetles, mini vans, hatchbacks, sedans, trucks, SUV's....you name it. I'm curious what my current vehicle says about me to the ladies.

Just curious.
I'm a bit biased because I've always loved large trucks & SUVs. (We have 2 Excursions, one of which was my primary vehicle pre-kids so I don't make the assumption of large SUVs and having children. In my neck of the woods, the family vehicle tends to be a Range Rover, Mercedes M/GL, Porsche Cayenne, etc.)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM

39,227 posts, read 27,597,823 times
this is my ride.

It says I like speed / I am practical and I like electric blue.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships