Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,129,326 times

Advertisements

find other friends or interests yourself,,,keep yourself busy...

you shouldnt be on his clock, and he on yours,,,just enjoy or value the friendship when together,,

5 yrs from now,,none of this will matter- unless you blow up on him..you will regret it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,066,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
It doesn't mater to me. I guess what bothers me is how I feel like I've been left in the dust, only used when absolutely needed. It's not so much who he hangs out with, although the way the people he hangs out with conduct themselves is not preferable to me.
If you relationship makes you feel that way, it's not a good relationship.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,129,326 times
you are young,,,this is a good lesson,,,you need thick skin in the real/working world,,,

Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM

933 posts, read 1,475,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
find other friends or interests yourself,,,keep yourself busy...

you shouldnt be on his clock, and he on yours,,,just enjoy or value the friendship when together,,

5 yrs from now,,none of this will matter- unless you blow up on him..you will regret it...
Two years from now this won't matter. But, the younger you are, the more amplified situations such as this can be.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,925,841 times
If your friend wanted to, he could call you and say, "Hey, we're headed to the beach, we'll pick you up at 10." Or, "We're at the coffee shop; come on over."

Since that's not the case, time for you to get over your "hurt" and move on. Be congenial. But find your own group and enjoy life. Since you're young, you'll find many acquaintances as you age - some will be true friends and some will be on-again-off-again. That's the continuum of life.

When the "cool crowd" drops your sometime-friend, you can welcome him back, but in the meantime, you'll have developed your own circle. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 AM

933 posts, read 1,475,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If your friend wanted to, he could call you and say, "Hey, we're headed to the beach, we'll pick you up at 10." Or, "We're at the coffee shop; come on over."

Since that's not the case, time for you to get over your "hurt" and move on. Be congenial. But find your own group and enjoy life. Since you're young, you'll find many acquaintances as you age - some will be true friends and some will be on-again-off-again. That's the continuum of life.

When the "cool crowd" drops your sometime-friend, you can welcome him back, but in the meantime, you'll have developed your own circle. Good luck.
Thanks. I guess you are right, it's time to move on. Makes me sad, but it would be foolish to be hanging around waiting for him, when he ain't sure as hell waiting for me.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,796,653 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone in advance. I have had a friend since I was very young. We used to hang out all of the time, and for a while, we were best friends.

Well, as life goes on (I will not specify my age), people move apart. I believe that is what happening here. He is now hanging out with the "popular" guys and has left me in the dust. He only calls me when others are not available. Now, I know he really likes me, but it seems like he is just too caught up in his own image and in this "clique" so to speak.

I'm just at a loss as to where to go from here. Part of me just says screw him, but the other part wants to do something, anything, to rekindle the friendship.

What do you all think I should do? Keep in mind, I am a VERY loyal friend.
It appears that that your friend has fallen into superficial gay culture. "He is just to caught up in his own image" and you from your title are a male it appears. If what I surmise is accurate - better get used to that part of the culture...it is what it is. I would forget about attempting to KEEP this person as a friend.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,964,144 times
Best off just letting your friend go, I was in a similar situation with an old friend of mine. Ever since I let the whole thing just go and moved on to other friends, I've had less drama regarding the whole thing.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,124,234 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone in advance. I have had a friend since I was very young. We used to hang out all of the time, and for a while, we were best friends.

Well, as life goes on (I will not specify my age), people move apart. I believe that is what happening here. He is now hanging out with the "popular" guys and has left me in the dust. He only calls me when others are not available. Now, I know he really likes me, but it seems like he is just too caught up in his own image and in this "clique" so to speak.

I'm just at a loss as to where to go from here. Part of me just says screw him, but the other part wants to do something, anything, to rekindle the friendship.

What do you all think I should do? Keep in mind, I am a VERY loyal friend.

eh, let it go and see where his path takes him. This is a natural progression of getting older chronologically but some not getting wiser. He may eventually tire of the new group and come back but he may not. When he contacts you if you want to spend time with him do, otherwise don't just don't feel guilty about not wanting to be the last call if you do decide not to visit with him.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:14 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,796,653 times
I had a best friend for 20 years. Then he disappeared - for 20 years...Then he pops up on Facebook and suggests that he buy a beer for an old friend................No thanks....Where were you for 20 years? I expect honesty and loyalty from "friends" In the last 10 years - I can say I do not have any close friends..my family and extended family are my friends. The other people I know are associates. Mature adults do not need "friends" - it's the real world now and this is not high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships