U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,031 posts, read 19,983,761 times
Reputation: 12911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The surrounding area of UCLA is not safe?????? I worked at UCLA in the 90s, you have Westwood Village, West LA, and than to the east you have Beverly Hills.

USC is not in a good area.

Any college campus especially at night can pose danger, but to say UCLA is not in a good area is simply not true.
Gee, I lived off the campus, and have you walked at night ? If you want to argue with me on this one, USC is just as safe as UCLA.

 
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 29,418,537 times
Reputation: 19624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, hopefully we have differing views on what a redneck is.... cause I certainly don't think of you as a redneck, unless of course you're just joking around....

I grew up around a few rednecks.... not nearly as cute as Jeff Foxworthy makes them out to be....
Well I guess I'm just one of those high-class red necks! =)

In all seriousness, I come from a family of very many rednecks. Maybe they are country boys. When everyone gets together, it all comes out.

When we are apart, you can see that we have obviously grown into different people.

Not all rednecks are "bad people who are lazy and racist," as some tend to believe.

My family came from Europe, obviously, but once here, they were farmers, and they were poor. They worked hard for the living that they had.

This is on both sides of my family. The generation that changed from being farmers was my parents generation. Both of them came from families who farmed.

They both farmed as children. I will have been the first generation who never farmed, except for gardening, which I do not consider farming.

The beliefs that were instilled in my parents were also instilled in me. The importance of family, and doing well and taking pride in whatever work I do.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times
Reputation: 26387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
True true.
However, not all gun owners are trashy-looking fat ladies with tattoos though.
LOL, I can guarantee you I am not a redneck lol

I have to say that I agree with you, almost 100% of your post.

I got my first gun when I was in UCLA, 70% of the girls in our water polo team got a gun because we all had to walk late at night. The surrounding area of UCLA is just not a very safe place in general.

Anyway, the girls and guys I know who own guns are more like this,

Sexy Gun Woman | Stock Photo Jason Stitt #3570340

Woman Holding Gun | Stock Photo Jason Stitt #2401178

Woman holding gun | Stock Photo Roman Podvysotskiy #8633101

handsome soldier holding gun | Stock Photo Aaron Amat #19515187

Man with pink rose and gun | Stock Photo Yulia Borovkova #2921196

but then again, of course i am biased. I just hope I don't make people uncomfortable.

I do agree with what you have to say though. Thank you for your answer.
These photos are just as dumb as the stereotype of all gun owners being fat, tattoed women. A gun is not a photo prop, and having a gun doesn't make someone sexy. Life is not a movie. A gun is a tool that you hope you'll never have to use, and not something to brag about with your friends. I can see discussing guns with one or two friends with a common interest, but telling everyone you know that you have a bunch of guns is foolish.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,031 posts, read 19,983,761 times
Reputation: 12911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
These photos are just as dumb as the stereotype of all gun owners being fat, tattoed women. A gun is not a photo prop, and having a gun doesn't make someone sexy. Life is not a movie. A gun is a tool that you hope you'll never have to use, and not something to brag about with your friends. I can see discussing guns with one or two friends with a common interest, but telling everyone you know that you have a bunch of guns is foolish.
sigh. I guess you just need to put me down by calling me a fool. Do you feel powerful now?
 
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,271 posts, read 39,797,477 times
Reputation: 41742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well I guess I'm just one of those high-class red necks! =)

In all seriousness, I come from a family of very many rednecks. Maybe they are country boys. When everyone gets together, it all comes out.

When we are apart, you can see that we have obviously grown into different people.

Not all rednecks are "bad people who are lazy and racist," as some tend to believe.

My family came from Europe, obviously, but once here, they were farmers, and they were poor. They worked hard for the living that they had.

This is on both sides of my family. The generation that changed from being farmers was my parents generation. Both of them came from families who farmed.

They both farmed as children. I will have been the first generation who never farmed, except for gardening, which I do not consider farming.

The beliefs that were instilled in my parents were also instilled in me. The importance of family, and doing well and taking pride in whatever work I do.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,031 posts, read 19,983,761 times
Reputation: 12911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: mainland but born oahu
6,657 posts, read 6,404,814 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
We live in a dangerous world, there are ppl out there who are not nice. So i have no problem having a gun for protection.

Sooo lily u own 5 guns huh? U know what this means guys right? It means u better be good looking if u come to her door and ask for a date and u better be on your best behavior Rflmao!
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,031 posts, read 19,983,761 times
Reputation: 12911
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
We live in a dangerous world, there are ppl out there who are not nice. So i have no problem having a gun for protection.

Sooo lily u own 5 guns huh? U know what this means guys right? It means u better be good looking if u come to her door and ask for a date and u better be on your best behavior Rflmao!
You own more guns than I do. You know it.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times
Reputation: 26387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
sigh. I guess you just need to put me down by calling me a fool. Do you feel powerful now?
Why post a thread asking what people think, and then take offense at their responses? "Do you feel powerful now?" might work on a man, but I'm talking to you as one woman to another, and I'm not going to feel guilty for telling you that you need to be more sensible. I'm telling you the same thing I've told my own daughter, when I was teaching her how to shoot. A gun doesn't make you sexy. It doesn't make you glamorous. It is a tool, like a hammer or a mixer. Learn to use it and respect it, but don't go around bragging about it. To me a gun is like a jack for changing a tire...I have one in case of emergencies, but I would be happiest if I never need to use it.

If you tell a lot of people that you have guns, you increase your risk of someone breaking in to steal your guns. If you're telling people who say, "I'll have to be careful not to make you mad," or however you put it, you're telling many more people than your closest friends. Not everybody you know is your friend, and sometimes the people who you think of as friends end up making bad choices and then trying to take advantage of everyone they know.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, MD
3,241 posts, read 3,277,443 times
Reputation: 3010
Excessive gun ownership is a product of deranged American culture. I do understand and respect hunting, since it gives people meat in a more responsible way than buying it in a store. I think freaks who own assault weapons are compensating for smaller reproductive organs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top