U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 5,864,592 times

Advertisements

Not every store has self checkout lines.

In a store I frequent there is a gentleman who has got to be the sloooooooowest cashier I have ever seen.
He just moves in extreme slow motion.
Nice enough guy, but I rarely get in his line.
He just talkes about three times longer to get things done than the other cashiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

5,472 posts, read 8,156,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
due to the worker? Like you got unfriendly vibes on a regular basis and you don't want the person to poison you?
No, I don't think into this issue this far. This to me is small fries & I have many more things on my mind than this. If I knew a worker to be unfriendly before, but they have the shortest line, I don't care, I'll still go in their line, do what I need to do & get outta there.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM

6,069 posts, read 9,533,605 times
Quote:
Very good question. And I do make sure not to always take it personally.

Okay, here is an example that drives me a bit batty: I used to frequent this one cafe and the owner or manager would always be cool to me. I am not concerned with that too much; it's a fact of life. But it was funny that some people would come in and he'd be like "Hi!!!" and start being really friendly to these other people and with me he wouldn't even greet me. I wouldn't stop coming for that silly thing. It was more like I didn't feel so welcome and so I was more motivated to go to cafes where the workers were friendlier, seemed to appreciate my business more, etc. What made me smile was when I went on Yelp and looked up that cafe and someone said the exact same thing that I thought: they were regulars, the owner was not friendly and yet managed to be friendly to other customers...So I saw that it was not just my perception .
How do you know those people the manager was friendly with weren't already good friends of his? The manager may be foolish to offer more graciousness to his friends than to his other paying customers, but that still doesn't mean anything against you personally.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,100,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
That is why I use the self checkout lines.
You must be one of those people who goes to self checkout with a big cart full of stuff. Either that, or you have no idea what it is like to shop for a whole family with a couple of kids tagging along.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM

658 posts, read 1,297,970 times
Yes. In fact, always. If the person is gross or appalling then I will choose another line, if available.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 PM

78,767 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
due to the worker? Like you got unfriendly vibes on a regular basis and you don't want the person to poison you?
I avoid creepy or overly-forward cashiers. If they stare at me even when I avoid them, I avoid their shift. If this issue ever comes up again, I'll complain to management. I live in a very strange town for service personnel.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Quote:
I am NOT a grump!!! No way!!! It pisses me when people are grouches. I just don't want to be a walking, talking cliche.
Maybe some folks have a reason to be grouchy. You never know.

I can think of worse things to be than a "cliché".

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,531,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe some folks have a reason to be grouchy. You never know.

I can think of worse things to be than a "cliché".

No kidding. I sense the OP may grow up to be one of those insufferable people who walk around telling women to "SMILE!"

You know, until one turns around and says, "My mother just DIED so eff you!"

Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
No kidding. I sense the OP may grow up to be one of those insufferable people who walk around telling women to "SMILE!"

You know, until one turns around and says, "My mother just DIED so eff you!"
Oh gads, I hate that! I'll be busy doing something, concentrating on what I'm doing and not even looking at anyone and someone will say "Smile. It can't be that bad". I'm thinking "What???"! I'm supposed to smile at the cash register, the clothes I'm straightening or, as in the case of making coffee in a restaurant, the coffee pot?? Stupid. lol Yeah, I think those kinds of people NEED a reality check! We don't walk around with a constant smile for nothing. Although I have to admit I'm normally a very 'smiley' person. I've had people tell me they came to my register just because I smiled at them.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,046,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Oh gads, I hate that! I'll be busy doing something, concentrating on what I'm doing and not even looking at anyone and someone will say "Smile. It can't be that bad". I'm thinking "What???"! I'm supposed to smile at the cash register, the clothes I'm straightening or, as in the case of making coffee in a restaurant, the coffee pot?? Stupid. lol Yeah, I think those kinds of people NEED a reality check! We don't walk around with a constant smile for nothing. Although I have to admit I'm normally a very 'smiley' person. I've had people tell me they came to my register just because I smiled at them.
Yeah, I've gotten annoyed a time or two by those words. "Oh SMILE, it can't be THAT bad!" Um, just kind of concentrating on what I was doing, not realizing I was on display and expected to perform for you at all times! Worst case scenario, I was in the middle of counting or adding something when they shared their "words of inspiration". In that case, I give them a , then a ...then say, "Thaaaaaanks...I was counting", just about as deadpan as it gets.

I wanna make sure they know just how effing irritated I am with them at that moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships