U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,543,825 times

Advertisements

I don't mind anyone using the self check out that actually KNOWS how to use the self check out. I can't tell you how many times I'm waiting for some moron that doesn't know how to use it and has no clue what they are doing and just stands there looking like an idiot when the machine is telling you to PLEASE PLACE SCANNED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA and they just don't know what to do. I wish I could say it was just the elderly that have a hard time with this (which I would totally expect) but I've seen all sorts of people have trouble which only proves that HUMANITY IS DOOMED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
I hate using the self checkout. I tried the one at Walmart for the first time the other day and discovered that it isn't good for purchasing spray paint or clearance items. I would never bother using it when I had a bunch of items, I can think of other ways to add frustration to my day if it feels like it's going too smoothly.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM

20,305 posts, read 16,471,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I don't mind anyone using the self check out that actually KNOWS how to use the self check out. I can't tell you how many times I'm waiting for some moron that doesn't know how to use it and has no clue what they are doing and just stands there looking like an idiot when the machine is telling you to PLEASE PLACE SCANNED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA and they just don't know what to do. I wish I could say it was just the elderly that have a hard time with this (which I would totally expect) but I've seen all sorts of people have trouble which only proves that HUMANITY IS DOOMED.
I leap in and try to help them, especially when they are scrolling through the alphabet looking for their plums, when the code sticker is staring them in the face.."you know, you can just hit "key code" and put this number in".

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM

2,350 posts, read 4,455,762 times
I take it one step further:

When I have $200 worth of groceries in my cart and I'm behind someone buying a gallon of milk and bag of chips, I tap them on the shoulder and say "Excuse me, I'm in a rush, would you mind if I cut in front of you?"

Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Sometimes people check out a bunch of stuff at the self check-outs because it is easier to steal stuff.
Bingo!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,245,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
what you think of the person who decides to use the self-checkout...

with a gazillion items in the cart--like full of stuff

What is the psychology of that? I have already talked to the clerks about the whole point of having self checkout and it being very zippy when it's just about 10 items or less.

One clerk told me they used to have '15 items or less' signs but took them down. I can't fathom why but perhaps it has to do with "the customer is always right."

Please help me with this. I am so not receiving.

I prefer the self checkout no matter how many items I have. I prefer to just scan my items, pack them the way I want them packed, pay, and get out.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,245,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Sometimes people check out a bunch of stuff at the self check-outs because it is easier to steal stuff.

Not really. There is a scale underneath the bagging area. If you put, say, a large bag of cat food in the bag and you only scanned a roll of TP, the scale is going to detect the difference in weight and alert the sales associate who is overseeing the self checkout area. You also aren't going to be able to scan 1 item and put 2 in the bag --- the scales are sensitive and will automatically know. There are also scanners at the bottom that will detect if you have an item underneath the basket of the cart.

In addition to that, many stores do "spot checks" on the self checkout and will ask for your receipt as you're leaving to ensure everything was scanned. (and let's not forget about the cameras that are above the self checkouts to watch for potential theivery)

Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM

5,407 posts, read 8,103,583 times
If I had a bazillion items, I won't be using the self-checkout personally because that's a lot to bag myself, but I never really noticed people in the stores in my ares using the self checkout if they have a ton of stuff...probably because they're thinking like myself that they don't want to bag all that either. I've just never been in a lengthy line at the self checkout section.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:27 PM

15,917 posts, read 12,703,320 times
I always use self checkout if I have the opportunity, because the slow cashiers drive me nuts. I am faster than them.

But I am single, so no maybe up to 40 items.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
None of my groceries have limits on self-check lines.

Have you seen Wal-Mart's new scan-n-go? You scan and bag each item as you take it off the shelf then check out by electronically transger it to the cash register. Super fast!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships