U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the question on the verge of insulting
Yes 41 80.39%
No 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 35,508 times

Advertisements

OK, this has gotten very funny. Your first post now has ETA: read post 18 before replying. However, post 18 suggests that reversing the roles makes no difference (and I agree). *funnies*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,057,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Honestly, OP, you both sound a little crazy. Him for being an OCD control freak, and you for taking anything an OCD control freak says or does on a personal level. He's obviously nuts - so why do you care? Does your wife defend him or something or does she know he's also crazy? Limit your contact and view him with tolerance, kindness and amusement when you do have to be around him. What exactly do you want to happen?
Oh, I am a little crazy. It's not taken so much on a personal level, maybe a little more as venting. The things that you have to deal with when associating with people, in general, amazes me.

My wife doesn't defend him, she just blows it off unless he makes a really absurd comment. Like I said, I was venting here on the forum and know that nothing is going to happen or change. Maybe just knowing that others can relate prevents me that flight to the Golden Gate Bridge. (humor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Eh, next time he asks hand him the sponge with bubbles on it and a dish and go sit down, relax and watch television. No need to say a word.

Now that would be fun to do.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,057,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtful_optimist View Post
OK, this has gotten very funny. Your first post now has ETA: read post 18 before replying. However, post 18 suggests that reversing the roles makes no difference (and I agree). *funnies*
Hi Doubtful_optimist, yeah, I had that added by a mod basically so that I wasn't the one that looked like a jerk. (not that it matters on a message board). I like to go through life as, live and let live, and treat people the way you want to be treated.

So many people that you come in to contact with are not that way. It's refreshing when you meet someone who is a truly nice person.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,769,309 times
It's always rude to criticize someone who is trying to do something nice for you. And yes, asking "did you use soap?" is just another way of saying, "I bet you didn't use soap, you idiot."

Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM

295 posts, read 311,802 times
There's something in a man's nature that makes him think his son-in-law can't pour **** out of a boot. I don't care if his little girl married Albert Einstein. I grew up seeing my grandfather treat my dad that way, and now it's everything my dad can do to hide his abject contempt for my brothers-in-law, who are both nice, employed, respectful guys and good fathers.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
Thanks for the replies

Now, does reversing the roles make any difference??? NO , it shouldn't. Put me as the son-in-law. And the anal know-it-all FIL asking the question. His house, his question.

I'm doing dishes, using soap as always, and get this question. This is how he talks to people.

I reversed the roles for a reason, not to mislead anyone, as the situation is still the same. Feel free to keep replying.

I'd just say "of course, I used soap," and look at him like he had a third eye in the middle of his forehead or something.

And if he complained, well, a friend of mine has a saying that I just love: There are two ways of doing this, my way and do it yourself.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,573,036 times
Quote:
The things that you have to deal with when associating with people, in general, amazes me.
Try having dinner with my parents. It's an insane asylum over there. You won't get asked about soap usage but you'll get scolded for using "too much" water, washing dishes "out of order", putting leftovers in the "wrong" container, etc.

Mind you the "kids" in my family range from mid 30s to early 50s. This has been going on forever too.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM

55,581 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Test thread.

Scenario. Relatives over the house for lunch. A dish was washed by hand by a younger in-law that doesn't care for me much, (I'm an anal, know-it-all, yeah, I know).

I ask if he washed the dish with dish soap or just water. They evade the question, answering that "they don't mind washing dishes". I answer that I meant the soap part of the question, and hope they didn't mind me asking the question. They say no.

Insulting question or not??? Or your take on it.

ETA: please read post #18 before voting/replying.
I would have answered you the same way. If you're going to be nasty, I might pretend I didn't hear what you just said just to give you a chance to take it back by providing a neutral response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships