U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,661,021 times

Advertisements

For me, I have noticed other posters have the same inkling as well, sometimes people just give me bad vibes. I just get a sense from people that this person isn't right or something about them is off. So I may become a little more reserved around them and might even come off as rude to them because I have caution. Luckily what that instinct or sense has been helpful and then I find out that these people are not good people. I am not a psychic by any means but I do have a pretty good read on people and I agree you gotta listen to your body and what it is telling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,638,972 times
The perfect litmus test? How that person treats someone who can otherwise do him no good.

Here's how it works. After the first initial couple of times you're with that person, go to a restaurant and watch how that person treats the waiter. In six months, that's how that person will be treating you.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM

8,223 posts, read 10,752,555 times
What does eye contact have to do with anything?

I don't look at people in the eye because I just know they are going to judge me instantly,which almost always happens 100% of the time when I do look people in the eye.

Also,beware of looking certain cultures in the eye. To the Arab doctors around here,that's very disrepectful.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,276,158 times
I don't think anything makes me instinctively dislike a person at first impression. Dislike (or worse, hate/loathe) is a strong word. I generally don't dislike someone without a very good reason, and that almost always requires more than a first impression. That said, I've met one or two people who gave me a sufficient reason very early on.

On the other hand...I have encountered the occasional person who immediately gave me a bad vibe. Sometimes it's in their eyes; sometimes it's their body language or demeanor; sometimes it's because they are overly forward/intrusive/personal; sometimes it's because the person looks, dresses or behaves oddly "out of place" compared to others in the establishment...and not in a good way; sometimes it's because the person seems to try too hard to act or look "perfect" 100% of the time (and thus I feel like I'm seeing a disguise instead of the real person..."flaws" can make a person feel more human and genuine). I didn't outright dislike them...I was just a little uncomfortable and wary and - if I had to interact with them - tended to tread a bit more carefully and keep my guard up. In cases where I had to interact, most of the time my initial gut feeling was well-founded, but sometimes the person actually turned out to be decent and somewhat likable...he was just very socially inept/awkward and poor at projecting an "aura" that's conducive to making others feel comfortable around him.

Lastly, regarding eye contact. Yes, many people who avoid making eye contact are just shy. (Note that an introvert who is not shy tends to have no problem maintaining eye contact at all.) However, a perceptive person who can read others well can usually sense the difference between someone isn't making eye contact due to shyness or bashfulness...and someone who's avoiding eye contact b/c he or she has something to hide.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 AM

321 posts, read 521,752 times
People who have these automatic b*tch faces. Even if they haven't said anything to me, there would be something about their facial expression that gives away the fact that they're not very nice.

By b*tch face, I mean kind of like a permanent sulky look.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,110,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Not sure if you were joking or not; however, it is true that the traits we dislike in others are usually our own worse faults.
People who explain what others have said... a huge turnoff.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 9,706 times
People who enjoy not liking others.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,326,733 times
It's all energy. Sometimes I feel an irritated feeling after meeting someone. Or it's a sadness. I've met met people where I get a picture in my head of a black hole - they're an energy zap.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,189,450 times
It's all about energy and intuition, the ability to look past appearances.

For example, a sociopath can come across as happy, outgoing, energetic, and charming - and many people fall for that, thinking he (or she) is the greatest, most entertaining person ever. But, an intuitive person will see past that facade and feel the rage and contempt that is actually at the core of that person.

For me, I can deal with sadness in a person, that doesn't bother me. What makes me dislike someone off the bat is a tangible malicious nature, in other words, a mean person. Someone who isn't "right" within themselves is, in effect, lying to themselves, and I can feel that. It's a feeling of dis-ease.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 6,563,823 times
People who treat others in a rude or disrespectful way. Even in a store when I see customers that are rude to the employees it really bothers me. People who talk about others behind their back. People who take advantage of others. This is more of annoyance but people who are loud and obnoxious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships