Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM

501 posts, read 932,531 times

Advertisements

My MIL, who I'm pretty sure suffers from undiagnosed mental health disorders, is currently my Facebook friend. Our relationships has declined over the last three years, and she's barely on speaking terms with me. It's not been anything that I've done, but her mental health issues prevent her from having a normal relationship with my spouse and I. Essentially, it boils down to she has to be in control of her life and everyone close to her, and I don't allow anyone else to control our life.

I'm the photographer of the family and take lots of pictures of my family at the various activities that we do. I usually post a set of pictures every week at various things that we've seen and done. While I know my MIL enjoys the pictures, it also keeps reminding her that she has no control over our lives and I'm sure that brings a little frustration to her.

Do I need to keep her on and sharing our pictures with her? I'm midly perplexed at my options. My wife has no time for Facebook and my MIL won't get the pictures if I stop sharing with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
You don't need to do anything. it also pains me to have my mil as a fb friend. I have to keep my privacy settings locked tight because she likes to share the photos I post. You could probably set it up so she can't see all the pictures. You can make lists of people.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

501 posts, read 932,531 times
Do you think it makes sense to limit the access to our family pictures of activities and events in this situation? I'm concerned that a person who has a hard time with me is given so much access to seeing that things that we do and love.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Well, what are your reasons for wanting to limit the info? Does she talk to your wife regularly? Does she know what you do w/o the fb photos? Is she otherwise out of touch so she doesn't "deserve" to see what is going on in your life?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
From personal experience having in-laws on FB is not a good idea. I have tried it a couple of times but it never turns out well. My husband has mental illness on his side of the family and I never really know what will happen. My MIL doesn't have any mental problems but she is incredibly judgmental. You can create a webpage to share photos if that helps.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,581,875 times
Rather than drop her as a FB friend, I'd first start by not allowing her to see the photos that you post. If that doesn't work out for some reason, no need to keep her as a friend.

Good luck with her.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
If letting her see the pictures online makes her feel like she's involved in your lives without you having to interact with her in person, then keep her as a Facebook friend. It's less hassle than dropping her and the drama that will come from that.

If she's posting snarky little comments on the photos, then consider not sharing them with her. Otherwise, what harm does it really do for her to see the things that you do and love? It will actually help her form an idea of you and your wife as adults who do not need her advice.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If letting her see the pictures online makes her feel like she's involved in your lives without you having to interact with her in person, then keep her as a Facebook friend. It's less hassle than dropping her and the drama that will come from that.

If she's posting snarky little comments on the photos, then consider not sharing them with her. Otherwise, what harm does it really do for her to see the things that you do and love? It will actually help her form an idea of you and your wife as adults who do not need her advice.
I agree with this.

There are also ways on fb that you can limit what you see of hers and limit what she can see of yours. If there are some pics you don't want her to see, like if she is stalking your page, you can block her from seeing them.

She does not have to see everything you post. Now if she knows other people that you know on facebook they may say, "Oh, did you see that picture blah blah blah?"

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Use "Groups" on facebook and put MIL in a group that doesn't get to see all the photos. Put everyone you want to see the photos in a different group. You can post a few photos to the MIL group once in a while so she doesn't feel "banned" or "blocked". She will probably never realize she's only getting a few of the photos. Most people do this anyway so work friends and parents don't see all the pictures of them doing questionable things that will bring about problems if widely viewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships