Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,561,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
A few men I grew up with and were friends with in the past have recently come out of the closet and are now openly gay. I know in theory my relationship with them should not change, but it has. I like many men are uncomfortable around openly gay men. In the past when I befriended gay coworkers people assumed I must be gay also. All the other straight men in the office kept a distance from the openly gay men. Women on the other hand seemed like they preferred the friendship with gay men over straight men.

How about Lesbians, do other women who are straight feel uncomfortable about being their friends?

Lets not be PC but honest now.
Just a friendly reminder what the question was here!!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,912,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Sorry, but it just ticks me off when religious people try to draw a parallel between gay people and pedophiles. That is just insane. One case is a relationship between two consenting ADULTS. The other is abuse and rape of a innocent CHILD. There is no comparison. If there is a God, I'm quite sure he/she sees a drastic difference.
I agree! This is the same logic my mother-in-law applied to me once. After giving birth to my last child and being finished up with the breastfeeding aspect of parenting I decided to have "the girls" put back where they belong. MIL flipped out and said that anybody who has implants or otherwise has "boob surgery" is a wh-ore! Needless to say, hubby was chastised for telling MIL my business.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:33 AM

7,394 posts, read 19,276,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I agree! This is the same logic my mother-in-law applied to me once. After giving birth to my last child and being finished up with the breastfeeding aspect of parenting I decided to have "the girls" put back where they belong. MIL flipped out and said that anybody who has implants or otherwise has "boob surgery" is a wh-ore! Needless to say, hubby was chastised for telling MIL my business.
Wow, did she think the same thing about women that had breast cancer and HAD to have surgery or reconstructive surgery?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM

7,394 posts, read 19,276,472 times
My youngest brother is gay and when I first moved to Texas, I lived with him for almost a year.
Over that year, I met some of the nicest and genuine people I've ever met in my life.
I asked my brother one evening why everybody is so nice that he hangs out with. His answer has stuck with me for years. What he said was, 'Gays are used to being treated badly and looked down upon; so what they do is treat others the way they want to be treated.
Personally, I would rather hang out with people like this (I'm a straight woman in a relationship)
than a phony. I don't care what race, religion or sexual orientation anyone is, if the person is not hurting anyone, let them be.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
I have close friends and relatives who are gay/lesbian. I always thought sexual orientation didn't really mean anything unless I wanted to have sex with them.

MOST of the gay/lesbian people I know have told me they didn't fall in love with a particular brand of genitalia. They fell in love with the person.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM

261 posts, read 951,578 times
My best friend from high school is gay and it has not changed my relationship with him. It actually explains alot about him! He's a great guy and we are still the best of friends regardless of him being gay.

In fact, he was visiting in April and met my husband and son. We had dinner and talked for hours about school and our lives since graduation. The last time I had seen him was in 2001 when his mom died. He told me in Nov 2006 that he was gay but had know at least since 1999.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

768 posts, read 2,095,365 times
Who is N.B.? I looked but didn't see a post by anyone with those initials?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM

989 posts, read 3,511,182 times
I have some friends who are gay. Doesnt bother me. Once my wife and I were holding hands and we noticed the two gay guys were holding hands too. It was a little strange at first but Im use to it now. Most of the gay people I have known have been very very good people-- Im glad we are becoming more open about this in America.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
A few men I grew up with and were friends with in the past have recently come out of the closet and are now openly gay. I know in theory my relationship with them should not change, but it has. I like many men are uncomfortable around openly gay men. In the past when I befriended gay coworkers people assumed I must be gay also. All the other straight men in the office kept a distance from the openly gay men. Women on the other hand seemed like they preferred the friendship with gay men over straight men.

How about Lesbians, do other women who are straight feel uncomfortable about being their friends?

Lets not be PC but honest now.
I live in San Francisco, so my answer is probably fairly obvious. I'm a straight female with MANY gay friends, both male and female, including a young man whom I've considered my brother since teenage-hood... no, it doesn't make me uncomfortable at ALL, considering I live with a gay man and a bisexual woman currently. It's not like every gay man/woman wants everyone of the same sex, so it would be ridiculous to be "afraid" of them - otherwise I should be afraid of every straight male, right??

As for the off-topic comments on religion & tolerance, I think whoever said "should all religious people be friendless because we all have sins?" hit the nail on the head... nobody is perfect, especially when the Bible is your guide, so I don't let that stand in my way of friendships. All you need is a good heart and soul for me to be capable of loving you. And in regards to the OP's comment about others thinking you're gay, who cares? I've been mistaken for a lesbian soooooo many times, and it doesn't bother me at all. Let them think what they want, and personally I feel it's a good way to weed out the closed-minded folks.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,047,707 times
I am friends with a wonderful Lesbian lady who is the most caring person I have ever known. I would rather be friends with her than many straight person I know. We worked together for several years. Many times, I will be thinking about calling her and she will call or vice versa. She invited me to her house to meet her partner and we took them sailing. When my husband died, she was the one person I could talk to who cared about how I was handling everything.

I also have a gay friend who is young enough to be my son. He didn't tell me for years he was gay (although I knew) until he moved to SF. We still email each other from time to time. If I ever need a good laugh he is the one who can put a smile on my face.

I agree with Gizmo, I don't care what anyone thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships