U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,897 times

Advertisements

I am currently because we moved and I closed my business. He makes more than enough for the 2 of us, so any work I do is just for the sake of working really, and the income is not needed. I do plan on getting a part time job once we buy a house here, simply to meet new people and get out more.

Main benefit is that DH has had an epic reduction in stress. When we both worked full time, we were both constantly tired, unhealthy because we were too tired to cook at night after work, so we ate out too much and ate too much fast food - we were overwhelmed and had to split all of the chores after work. Now I am able to cook organic homemade meals each day, keep up on all the laundry and iron his clothes so he looks better at work; I basically do all of the household work now and he can focus on his job, then actually relax and unwind after a stressful day at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM

451 posts, read 624,795 times
I'm going to be one, just as soon as I get liberated from this stupid cubicle! We have five cats, and I'm really looking forward to being able to stay on top of the cleaning so our apartment isn't such a disaster all the time.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,891,051 times
I was one, and I knew 2 others - it was because we were military spouses, living overseas. When in a foreign country you can't really work, and on the post it's very hard to find a job. The husband's jobs were crazy and often just having one car made it impossible as well. I went to college during that time. Made it nice because you could be available to travel during your spouses off-time and see parts of the world you never would. There were lots of things to be done that you normally didn't need to do (paying road/tv taxes or driving 30 minutes one way just to check your mail) so it was very easy to keep busy. I often walked 30 minutes one way to the market, too, when I couldn't go to the post.

It was very beneficial to him too. He often worked 12 hour shifts, overnight, and if he had business on post such as getting something for his uniforms, picking up medications, errands, etc, he would have had to hang around on post for 2 hours waiting for things to open after working all night. This way he could just come home, and I could deal with everything. His work was physical and stressful. I handled everything in the household - yard, car, pets, cooking, cleaning, errands, bills, etc. He was more than pleased with the set-up.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
I have a couple people in my family that are. My mom has been for most of my adult life and I am 35. In my opinion if a person has a lot of hobbies, volunteers, and friends that are also not working it can be a nice thing. If a person just sits around and does not interact or use their brain it can send a person into depression. I have seen both in my family.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 PM

10,619 posts, read 4,921,743 times
Not sure if I'm a "homemaker".
I'm on disability & am a starving artist, childfree by choice.
I don't like doing housework and I'm divorced.
It's more like I'm *not* X Y or Z, so that only leaves "homemaker" left as a descriptor/role.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
I am sort of and have been for 10 years. I have my own business but I don't have to leave my home to do what I need to do for my company.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:51 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,162,347 times
In the past it might've been common, but only for the year or two between marriage and having children.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, if I didn't have kids and didn't need to work, I'd write a novel every six months.
I keep telling my SO that. "But honey! Think of how awesome it would be to be the companion and confidant of a New York Times best-selling author! And I'll still bake cookies!"

He's not biting.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 AM

24,641 posts, read 9,573,036 times
I'd love to find a woman who would support me financially so I could be a homemaker. Doubt it's going to happen though.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM

451 posts, read 624,795 times
What I find hilarious is that I grew up in the uber feminist view that a real woman should have her own career and look down her nose at housewives and homemakers. Then I discovered that I really, really hate working for a living, and I really like being at home. The Universe will have its little jokes lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships