U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:44 PM

21,652 posts, read 14,239,850 times

Advertisements

I suspect that business owners greet customers because they want the customer to know that they are seen. It is part a friendly gesture and part a warning against theft.

If this person does not greet you, he may be introverted or antisocial. How does he treat you when you do make a purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 04:20 PM

40,276 posts, read 39,837,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beads108 View Post
I realize that "should" might turn off some people but I mean is it good business practice to say hello when someone enters your space?

I am really SO not a prima donna but there is one place I frequent (this meaning once a week or so) and the owner will not say hi when I enter the establishment. I am wondering if it is because I always order something that is lower in price than most of the items. In any case, I don't feel comfortable there to the point of feeling awkward. It's a small place so it's not the sort of space that one can feel anonymous.

I think a greeting is appropriate, to not ever say anything to you is odd, especially if you're a regular customer.

I tend to find the opposite to be true, I find that sometimes sales clerks and other similar positions that the people get too friendly and chatty, I don't always like to make small talk, a lot of times I just wanna get my stuff and move on. I'm never rude or unfriendly to them, I just sometimes don't like to make small talk. I know that makes me sound a bit like a jerk, but I'm really not, I swear.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:11 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,810,651 times
I have never gotten anywhere with complaining to a store manager about anything wrong, rudeness of clerks, etc. It goes nowhere. In one ear and out the other. They don't apologize and don't seem to care. I think it's better to not patronize their business anymore if you don't feel comfortable in their store.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:28 AM

325 posts, read 206,369 times
Sometimes the store associates at stores like CVS and Radio Shack go, "Hello, how are you today?", "Find what you are looking for?", "Have a nice day!" I rather be ignored than to be hearing all this. If I enter such store, it's only what I'm looking for. I am not worried about the loss prevention employees. I find such greeting actually rude than polite since I am assuming the retailers require them to greet customers like that. Sometimes I would say "Shut the hell up" or "knock it off, please" but I don't want to be that rude to the employees.
Another thing. At a local Barnes and Noble store, the employee says "Do you have a membership card with us?" and "Would you like to sign up for one?" each time I check out. It's getting kind of annoying and if I do get a membership card, I may end up getting lots of ads from the retailer when I check the emails.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,252,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I especially hate when I'm checking out in some self-service store and the clerk says (which I'm sure they are forced to do), "Did you find everything you need?" Try saying no. They give you a deer-in-the-headlights look. And while some will say "sorry," I have yet to encounter a single one who DOES anything.
I'd rep you 10 times if I could. No one ever has tried to help or solve the problem if I say no.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 2 days ago)

10,405 posts, read 14,253,901 times
Quote:
I'd rep you 10 times if I could. No one ever has tried to help or solve the problem if I say no.
Depends on your expectations I guess.
We don't have a produce dept where I work yet we have had people tell us they couldn't find what they wanted in the way of fresh broccoli or limes!??? Or the guy who complained because the product he bought had plastic parts instead of metal, as if that is something we can change? Really, all we can do is apologize (and wonder what they are smoking)

OTOH if it's something along the lines of saying they couldn't find a particular sale item, or something we could reasonably be expected to have, it's pretty easy to fix those problems with a raincheck, a substitution, or a call to another location.
If you don't get a satisfactory answer from the cashier ask to speak to a supervisor. In my experience a lot of cashiers rarely get the chance to work away from the checkouts and often don't have a very good idea of what their stores actually carry.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:45 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,191,833 times
By greeting your customers, you nevr know when you shall be just the bright spot they needed at that time. Helping them out with your store's offerings goes along way to letting them know you want their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships