Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times

Advertisements

I know I can't be the only one. I often find a stigma around people who live off the grid, or live on a compound or live removed from society. They're "crazy" or weird. Lately I've found myself getting to the point where I can't stand to be around people. I get almost irrationally angry dealing with them.

Example: Sister in law is having baby today and they thought it would be a great idea to put everyone in group text. I did not ask for that and certainly didn't want it. My phone doesn't give me the option to remove myself. All through the night people texted "is she here yet, are you having contractions, whats an update". I received texts at 12:30 am, 2 am, 3:30 am, 5:55 am and 7 am. I finally had had enough. At 8 am someone texted 5 times within one minute "whats an update" "is she having contractions" and the best "has she remembered to take a big Sh^% before labor?". The father to be updated she was in active labor, in pain and was progressing. 5 mins later another question "how much pain? does she need to walk? Tell her don't be afraid to poop on the table"

So I said very nicely "can we please let them update us as things progress. I know we are all very excited but she is actively laboring and probably cannot reply to texts every 2 mins" . Well I got lambasted for even suggesting something sensible so I finally just told them they're all rude as hell and I hope they never have to labor with a barrage of texts. I mean if you wanted to know so bad why not go to the hospital and ask the nurses? I mean hello?

Its at that point (and others) I realized I just can't stand people. I can't stand their nosiness, they're rudeness etc

Does anyone else get to this point? Its gotten to where I feel this way more times than not. I don't want to hang out, I don't want to have friends at my house, I don't want to go to your graduation etc. I just want to garden, and read, and be with my daughter and enjoy things around my home. Am I the jerk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I totally get it. I am an introvert and have to deal with a lot of people everyday at work and sometimes I just want to scream at all of them... SHUT UP!!! TOO MUCH TALKING!! I don't answer my phone, cell or landline unless it is my mother or very close friend and even then it depends on my mood. When I get home from work I don't answer it at all. It is my time to decompress.

I have a friend who has twins and for the past 5 years she sends a video about the twins as a "year in review"!!! They generally run 45min!! I delete them and figure I will keep having to do this as she will be sending the damn videos until they are in college.

I too, generally find most people clawing and have to turn them off. I feel your pain, really, I do.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I'm not sick of people, but I despise group texts under the type of circumstances you mentioned. Fortunately, my phone does allow me to opt out.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I know I can't be the only one. I often find a stigma around people who live off the grid, or live on a compound or live removed from society. They're "crazy" or weird. Lately I've found myself getting to the point where I can't stand to be around people. I get almost irrationally angry dealing with them.

Example: Sister in law is having baby today and they thought it would be a great idea to put everyone in group text. I did not ask for that and certainly didn't want it. My phone doesn't give me the option to remove myself. All through the night people texted "is she here yet, are you having contractions, whats an update". I received texts at 12:30 am, 2 am, 3:30 am, 5:55 am and 7 am. I finally had had enough. At 8 am someone texted 5 times within one minute "whats an update" "is she having contractions" and the best "has she remembered to take a big Sh^% before labor?". The father to be updated she was in active labor, in pain and was progressing. 5 mins later another question "how much pain? does she need to walk? Tell her don't be afraid to poop on the table"

So I said very nicely "can we please let them update us as things progress. I know we are all very excited but she is actively laboring and probably cannot reply to texts every 2 mins" . Well I got lambasted for even suggesting something sensible so I finally just told them they're all rude as hell and I hope they never have to labor with a barrage of texts. I mean if you wanted to know so bad why not go to the hospital and ask the nurses? I mean hello?

Its at that point (and others) I realized I just can't stand people. I can't stand their nosiness, they're rudeness etc

Does anyone else get to this point? Its gotten to where I feel this way more times than not. I don't want to hang out, I don't want to have friends at my house, I don't want to go to your graduation etc. I just want to garden, and read, and be with my daughter and enjoy things around my home. Am I the jerk?
You are certainly not. People can be rude, inconsiderate and most people have few they can trust in these times. Having an inclination to want to be left alone for some peace and quiet especially after stressful events or situations is normal.

Sometimes needing peace and quiet away from large populations without a situation is felt. I myself prefer quiet natural areas to a large city-And I live in one. I actually got a new job not dealing with the general public at large for the first time in almost 20 years, And I did not even dislike that job but am looking forward to not being in crowds constantly (I worked a lot in Times Square NYC)

I also feel that getting a break mentally is important so that we can take time to enjoy the little things, And learn about ourselves and recharge.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

Example: Sister in law is having baby today and they thought it would be a great idea to put everyone in group text. I did not ask for that and certainly didn't want it. My phone doesn't give me the option to remove myself. All through the night people texted "is she here yet, are you having contractions, whats an update".

I received texts at 12:30 am, 2 am, 3:30 am, 5:55 am and 7 am. I finally had had enough. At 8 am someone texted 5 times within one minute "whats an update" "is she having contractions" and the best "has she remembered to take a big Sh^% before labor?". The father to be updated she was in active labor, in pain and was progressing. 5 mins later another question "how much pain? does she need to walk? Tell her don't be afraid to poop on the table"

Wow, I'm the grandmother and even I would have been pissed off at so many texts waking me up in the middle of the night. IMHO, it was pretty inappropriate for everyone to be texting back asking for updates.

When our second grandchild was born seven months ago, my son sent out a group email/text to us, her parents & his sister. A grand total of texts to three phones. He also said "Don't text back. I'll text when there is news". They did not email their friends or extended relatives until after the baby was actually born (heck, I believe that it was a few hours after the baby was born).

I think that you will calm down after you catch up on some sleep.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
The simple solution would be to turn off notifications for that text message.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM

258 posts, read 299,469 times
I am not an introvert, but I am getting to be this way as well. I place a large part of the blame on moving to an area that has a different tone/culture/vibe/etc than what I grew up with. I have tried to assimilate here, but I find my current city to be pretty joyless. I find the Midwest to be bland and people have no sense of humor (just my opinion, ymmv). But people have gotten ruder, in general. I find my peak irritation times to be whenever I drive or have to walk in a mall. (Mall walkers- oh my God!)

Old 08-10-2016, 11:32 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
You're definitely not alone on this. I would be upset getting all of those text messages all through the night too. It's annoying that people are so attached to their phones 24/7. You weren't out of line for suggesting that they just wait for the updates instead of texting constantly. I wonder sometimes how people managed to function before smartphones became ubiquitous. Everywhere I go, even at work. there are people walking around with their faces in their phones, completely oblivious to everyone around them, blocking aisles and all kinds of stuff. I want to take their phones and throw them out the window.

I know that people were inconsiderate before smartphones, but I think that the technology just made it that much worse.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Side note ... a suggestion to anyone who ever wants to set up or be part of a "group text" situation: Have everyone download the "WhatsApp" app. Everyone gets all the texts, but they also get to control whether or not they get notifications. My cousins can sometimes get very "chatty", and if we were using SMS, my phone would be dinging every few minutes. I don't want to turn off my ringer or text notifications or I'll miss other messages. By using WhatsApp, I can turn off the notifications, and when I see that there are a number of messages (indicated by a number on the icon), I can choose to go into the app and get caught up.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
We grew up in a world were etiquette was expected. Those days only exist in our foggiest memories. I sometimes seek to avoid the cultural by-products of the past few decades. Plenty of good kids...sure. You know the rest.

Dogs....now there are some first class friends. As well as "most" senior citizens. I feel a bit sorry for most kids born into this culture. They are in for a rough time.

When we were kids....we lived to have fun. That we did 99% of the time that school was in recess. We also lived in fear of our parents and teachers. Generally no problems to be found if one followed reasonable rules.

Watching todays, and yesterdays news, all I can think is "Are you kidding me?" How did such a great land and great people fall so far and so fast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships