Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times

Advertisements

Write a note and put it on his car. Have it say "Sorry, only my wife is allowed to give the Now! command."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
Write a note and put it on his car. Have it say "Sorry, only my wife is allowed to give the Now! command."

Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
GAH! Aside from the correct term being "brakes," not "breaks," I would wonder if the brakes squeal and annoy the crap out of everyone in the neighborhood. So I would get the brakes checked and fixed if they need to be. Don't be that neighbor who wakes people up and makes their fillings hurt.

FWIW, I left a note like that when someone with a bad belt parked behind my apartment a few years ago. This person left for work at 6:00 a.m., and woke me up every single day with the squeal. I (very politely) pointed out the problem and suggested that he either look into it or not park in the alley between buildings because all of our bedrooms faced the alley and a lot of us did not have to get up until at least 7:00 a.m. He just started parking out in the main parking lot.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
i would take it as "your car is freaking loud do something about it before i actually get annoyed enough to speak out my anger in person" then i would possibly do something about it.... why the hell would i want to be driving around in a shriek machine?

as for the whole "is it rude, is it not rude" stuff implied with the thread. you are both being rude for different reasoning's.

suck it up and understand you're both at fault over the incident and get the car looked after.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-21-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
I wonder if the brakes are squealing so loud that it is pretty obnoxious?
Or the neighbor is being quite snobby, god forbid someone's car make a lil noise.

It also sounds like your husband is being sensitive.
If I was your husband, I would ask the neighbor if he wants to do the brake job. Maybe the neighbor is really good with cars. Would be kind of cool to make a new car-guy friend.

If the neighbor isnt, then I would blow it off and say "thanks for your concern, I'll take a look at them when I get a chance." But I know a lot about cars, and I would already know if the brakes needed replacing, way before the neighbor left me a note.
I cant tell if your husband knows anything about cars.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I think you're overreacting.

If it's been years since you last had your brakes worked on/looked at, probably wouldn't hurt to have that done...especially if they don't make noise normally.

Worn-out brakes are a hazard but loud squealing brakes are really annoying especially when someone's rolling past my house at 4am with them.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
A few months ago my husband found a note on his windshield that said "Your car needs new breaks. Now!". It wasn't signed so he had no idea who wrote it. A few days ago a neighbor we don't really know came up to my husband and asked him if he had gotten new breaks yet. In the short conversation he found out that it was this neighbor who put the note on his car.
The hubby is sure that the neighbor is being a jerk and a snob but I think that he may just be trying to be helpful. The hubby thinks because he finished the note with "Now!" the note was not meant to be helpful. He thinks the note was meant to say something like "Get your breaks fixed now before you go out driving in that unsafe car, you *******". I don't know though. Ending the note with "Now!" is a bit odd. I'm curious how others view the note.
There is nothing worse than a nosy neighbor. I hate neighbors like that. Nosy and think they run the neighborhood. I can't stand them, I would love to move to the countryside where I am not too far away from the city from far enough away where I can own a piece of land with nobody nearby so I wouldn't have to put up with crap like that.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I'm severely hearing impaired. Because I cannot hear issues like this, I would thank the neighbor profusely for alerting me to a problem before it grew into a more serious problem. I take brake issues very seriously and I wouldn't fart around with this issue.

Nosy, neighborly, caring, snobby - does it really matter if there's a problem and him alerting you to it saves yours or someone else's life?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
On the other hand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
There is nothing worse than a noIsy neighbor. I hate neighbors like that. NoIsy and think they run the neighborhood. I can't stand them, I would love to move to the countryside where I am not too far away from the city from far enough away where I can own a piece of land with nobody nearby so I wouldn't have to put up with crap like that.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
A few months ago my husband found a note on his windshield that said "Your car needs new breaks. Now!". It wasn't signed so he had no idea who wrote it. A few days ago a neighbor we don't really know came up to my husband and asked him if he had gotten new breaks yet. In the short conversation he found out that it was this neighbor who put the note on his car.
The hubby is sure that the neighbor is being a jerk and a snob but I think that he may just be trying to be helpful. The hubby thinks because he finished the note with "Now!" the note was not meant to be helpful. He thinks the note was meant to say something like "Get your breaks fixed now before you go out driving in that unsafe car, you *******". I don't know though. Ending the note with "Now!" is a bit odd. I'm curious how others view the note.
I had a neighbor liked that. She was an elderly woman and she though things had to be done her way. She got into it with a couple of other neighbors including me. I was younger then and too nice, now I would be happy to give her a nice piece of my mind, but she moved several years ago thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships