U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,123,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
There is nothing worse than a nosy neighbor. I hate neighbors like that. Nosy and think they run the neighborhood. I can't stand them, I would love to move to the countryside where I am not too far away from the city from far enough away where I can own a piece of land with nobody nearby so I wouldn't have to put up with crap like that.
Yep, nothing worse than a noisy neighbor. So selfish.

Thst what you meant right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,735,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yep, nothing worse than a noisy neighbor. So selfish.

Thst what you meant right?
no that is not what I meant.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
GAH! Aside from the correct term being "brakes," not "breaks," I would wonder if the brakes squeal and annoy the crap out of everyone in the neighborhood. So I would get the brakes checked and fixed if they need to be. Don't be that neighbor who wakes people up and makes their fillings hurt.

FWIW, I left a note like that when someone with a bad belt parked behind my apartment a few years ago. This person left for work at 6:00 a.m., and woke me up every single day with the squeal. I (very politely) pointed out the problem and suggested that he either look into it or not park in the alley between buildings because all of our bedrooms faced the alley and a lot of us did not have to get up until at least 7:00 a.m. He just started parking out in the main parking lot.

I had a car that made a sound like that whenever it had been raining. It wasn't something that could be fixed, just the sound of a wet Ford Taurus.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,199,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Its probably your neighbour being a tool. As long as you get your brakes checked at 15,000 and 25,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles after that. Or if there is an issue. You will be doing the right thing.
You should not need to get your brakes checked at 15K and 25K unless you are tracking the car or drag racing...

Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM

15,919 posts, read 12,703,320 times
I don't get it - people are ignorant and obnoxious with their loud squeeking car, and when you tell them, you are the bad guy? Really?

Reminds me of my neighbor. Dogs barking all day all night. I tell them in a nice way that we like to sleep at night, they say I am rude, IT IS JUST DOGS (whatever that means). Next day same barking again. I call animal control. Neighbor now hates me and I am the bad person. I don't get it. Should I have sleepless nights forever because my neighbor is ignorant?

Fix your car and be courteous to people living in your neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM

15,143 posts, read 12,004,212 times
People generally have not taken etiquette classes and just say what they think...
They don't even think how something sounds.

If your brakes are squeaking and are a nuisance (sorry if I missed a post on this)
then that was his reason for saying, Now!

I wouldn't spend my mental time on caring too much about it, personally.
But, I understand the initial feeling of some strangeness...I wouldn't go so
far as to say he was a tool...esp if the squeak was bothering him.

Ah, if we could all be more diplomatic, things could be so much nicer.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM

319 posts, read 381,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Get them checked. Get a slip from the car shop that it's good. Take it over to your neighbor. Then walk away . Smile. You won over the nosey neighbor. If the brakes are bad you thank him. He saved your life or others.
I second this.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,157,156 times
It's simple - get the brakes checked. If "squealing" might have been the reason for the note .... come on, squealing brakes are annoying particularly if it wakes you up in the middle of the night.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM

238 posts, read 185,142 times
I am truly surprised at how many of the responders automatically put the worst possible interpretation on it. My first thought was how thoughtful, he's looking out for you. He may have seen, heard whatever something that made him think the brakes were going out. If I could I would have them looked at, if I couldn't afford it or whatever I would ask him what made him think there was a problem so maybe I could learn something.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,766,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'm severely hearing impaired. Because I cannot hear issues like this, I would thank the neighbor profusely for alerting me to a problem before it grew into a more serious problem. I take brake issues very seriously and I wouldn't fart around with this issue.

Nosy, neighborly, caring, snobby - does it really matter if there's a problem and him alerting you to it saves yours or someone else's life?
Huh? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships