U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 AM

10,803 posts, read 8,018,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Its not a biggie. But I was a little offended. Was at a retail store, during the purchase I asked for the maximum amount of cash they accept via eft-pos. Service was all good up till then. So I entered my pin and pressed enter.
As it was processing she was noticeably fretting for whatever reason. It was uncomfortable.
You must be very young. Through the years to come, you'll encounter oh-so-many folks who don't meet your expectations of how you think you should be treated.
You'll either learn to get over yourself or you'll wallow in your 'uncomfortable' feelings every time someone, for reasons of his/her own, doesn't bow to you. The choice is yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,500,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You must be very young. Through the years to come, you'll encounter oh-so-many folks who don't meet your expectations of how you think you should be treated.
You'll either learn to get over yourself or you'll wallow in your 'uncomfortable' feelings every time someone, for reasons of his/her own, doesn't bow to you. The choice is yours.
lol not young 35. Was over it 5 minutes after it happened.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM

8,572 posts, read 9,629,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I used 50 as example. A grocery store I go to and a chain by the way, the cashier has to put in the changes if I get money over on the bill using a debit card. Bill is 82.65 and I ask for 20 over, she has to change the total to reflect the 20 dollars over. Simple math yes, but I have seen people struggle over it.
I'm glad we only have to do that with personal checks. I hear people gripe all the time about how cashiers can't count out change anymore because the register tells them how much to give back. I don't think that's a bad thing though because I'd be willing to bet there are far fewer mistakes. The other day I accidently put one to many zeros in my cash tended so had to figure out real quick the proper change. My boss just happened to be standing behind me and said that a lot of people wouldn't have been able to do it that quick and I can't help but wonder why not.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

575 posts, read 828,919 times
Quote:
Its not a biggie. But I was a little offended. Was at a retail store, during the purchase I asked for the maximum amount of cash they accept via eft-pos. Service was all good up till then. So I entered my pin and pressed enter.
As it was processing she was noticeably fretting for whatever reason. It was uncomfortable.

So the transaction is accepted and she gives me my cash. Can think of a few possible reasons she was fretting.
But in my mind its not very professional or a good look.

I used to be a cashier, so I can tell you, most cashiers rarely, if ever think about their customers. She was most likely worried about personal issues.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 AM

10,391 posts, read 14,230,723 times
So why would you go to a retail store and not a bank? That seems like an awfully large amount of money to ask for as cash back. I think the clerk probably was uncomfortable doing it as it is probably not a very common occurrence.

A lot of people treat our small store as a convenient bank. After the third person or forth person of the morning has asked for a large wad of cash back, or bought a twenty cent item to break a hundred dollar bill, and the register is deep in the negative, yeah, it's kind of annoying, especially as there is a full service bank next door. I can't say how much it is appreciated when a customer takes a few seconds to ask first if there is enough money in the register to break said bill, or cover the amount of cash back. It prevents them from getting frustrated at having to wait for a manager to bring more cash, prevents holding up the line, etc.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,537,395 times
Quote:
I don't know if it was about me or not and I don't really care. Its just not good customer service to make the client feel uncomfortable during the transaction.
Were you shopping at Nordstroms? Honestly, customer service in most stores aren't as good as in decades past.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,687,533 times
Quote:
lol not young 35. Was over it 5 minutes after it happened.
So why are you posting about it?

What country did this happen in?

I went to Hong Kong and Vietnam and I was happy to get back to Australia, enter a store at Melbourne Airport, and be ignored by all the staff. I knew I was home.

All that obsequiousness gets annoying after a while.

I'd rather they sweat, stare, glare, sniff, than follow in your footsteps around a store straightening everything you've brushed against, like in Asia.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,611,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe her register hadn't been open that long and she was worried you'd 'clean it out'. I've had this happen a gazillion times. We open with $200 and my first customer wants $100 cash back. Yes, it makes me a bit nervous sometimes because if the next guy wants $80 cash back I'm in trouble. The good thing is that I CAN get a 'loan' to my register so it's not that bad. I doubt very much it had anything to do with you personally and maybe you are over thinking it.
This would be my theory too. Many moons ago I was a cashier and Murphy's Law dictates that one of the first customers the cashier has, will want cash back greater than what she has in her drawer. Now as a customer, I know it is still a problem because most of my local stores limit cash back to $20 - $40, which is not very much! I suppose if she looked particularly "fretful" you could have nicely asked her if she were okay... no, I would not take offense to someone looking "fretful."

Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
Was over it 5 minutes after it happened.
You certainly were not over it. Otherwise, you wouldn't have posted this odd question.

"noticeably fretting"? Can you describe what you mean by this? Wringing her hands? Muttering "oh, dear! oh, dear!" over and over? Wrinkled brow? What, exactly, was she doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Its the end of August...report card? college application? No excuse for poor service and no excuse for the OP to even worry about it.
I've yet to read anything about poor service? Where was it?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 9,629,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This would be my theory too. Many moons ago I was a cashier and Murphy's Law dictates that one of the first customers the cashier has, will want cash back greater than what she has in her drawer. Now as a customer, I know it is still a problem because most of my local stores limit cash back to $20 - $40, which is not very much! I suppose if she looked particularly "fretful" you could have nicely asked her if she were okay... no, I would not take offense to someone looking "fretful."
Well, nobody can get cash back greater than what I have in my drawer but taking half of it isn't a good deal either. I just hope that the next 10 customers either pay cash or use a debit or credit card and no cash back! We have a bank in our store but people seem to prefer getting their money from us. It gets to the point where I just want to say "Welcome to Bank of ___________", but I don't, of course. I just smile and say "Here's your cash back. Have a good day!". lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships