U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,206,557 times

Advertisements

To laugh at the hot girl who wouldn't go out with you because you were too much of a loser. Now she's a single mom with 3 kids and fat.

You on the other hand, are successful and handsome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM

452 posts, read 570,927 times
What Dayton said...

Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM

5,280 posts, read 3,488,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
MOST people enjoyed high school. I did. That does not mean it was the best time of my life.

Facebook is not a substitute for real life conversation. I guess some think how many kids, who the wife is, and where they work is conversation. Being with a group of people you haven't seen in 10 years is enjoyable for MOST people.

Every time a reunion thread is on CD the social misfits show up. MOST people have fond memories of high school. MOST people were not bullied. MOST people did not move 3 times in those 4 years.
You posted this the last time and I asked how precisely you know that most people enjoyed high school and you had nothing, just as you will have nothing now. Frankly, your fantasy stereotype of folks who aren't interested makes you sound kind of pathetic and a bit like the fantasy stereotype others have created of the person who "peaked" in high school. Let me just let you in on a little secret from someone who has been on the other side of the equation in high school: You have no idea who is unloading on a teacher or administrator about how they aren't fitting in, are depressed and who is being bullied.

For the record, I would encourage everyone who wants to attend to do that. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I have zero interest in knowing what the gang is up to these days.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM

883 posts, read 927,549 times
I imagine in the past it was to catch up with old friends/acquaintances that you may have fallen out of touch with and talk about what you've done in life so far (marriage, kids, job, house, etc) but with FB you can find all that out. I would be curious to know if there have ever been earth shattering conversations or friendships rekindled from a high school reunion. I doubt that a small talk type conversation you may have at a reunion will be any different or offer you anything more than FB chatting. Anyone I was going to have a deep conversation with, or rekindle a friendship with, is someone I am already in contact with and thus I don't need to spend $$ on mediocre food and cheap drinks to do it (the reunions for my high school are typically at a banquet hall type of place rather than the school itself).

I also imagine there is a fair amount of judging going on, all of which you can do on FB nowadays in the privacy of your own home.

I did not hate high school, or love it, I was indifferent to it and simply saw it as a stage of my life I had to go through to reach the point where I could just live my life doing what I wanted to do career wise and being independent of my parents (just like college was). Also, I moved far away, as did many of my classmates, and going home to visit is expensive--I don't want to waste a trip on going to a reunion. I'm not even sure I would go if it happened to coincide with a trip back home. I am already in touch with everyone I want to be in touch with and I simply don't care enough to go. Sure, I have fond memories, but I greatly prefer my life now to my life then.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM

15,988 posts, read 12,766,324 times
To show the balding fat guys and nasty skanks who made my youth like hell, that the ugly duck turned into a pretty swan. Conquering the world while they were busy breeding and never left their tiny town.

That would be my only reason to go there. But since that would involve a looong flight plus the costs for a luxury rental car, I would rather spend that money on a nice vacation somewhere in the opposite direction.

I am still in contact with my first bf's through facebook. They saved my life back then and I am sure we will stay friends forever.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,212,463 times
My 30 year HS reunion was recently held. I wanted to go but didn't make it a priority so therefore missed it again. We have had 3 reunions over the years and I have yet to attend any of them. I would like to.. but real life seems to get in the way every time. I am as close to my home town as I have been since moving away after HS so I had little excuse other than I had other things to do..

I think one of the reasons you go is to show off.. let others see what you have done with your life and although my life is not as exciting as it used to be I am still very proud of who I am and what i have done.. and I am especially proud of the lovely lady I (tricked) into marrying me!

I know that if my wife had wanted to go or expressed interest in going, we would have gone but she works most weekends and was away that weekend and I certainly didn't want to go without her. That sounds a little codependent I know but it is what it is!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 2,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewarrior View Post
I don't understand what the point is, unless you are one of those (very) few people who peaked in high school and thought it was the time of your life, why would you bother going? I'm sure most people had the times of there lives after high school. What i'm saying is, high school really is not that significant.
Furthermore, most of us have kept in contact with the people from high school that we wanted to keep in contact with. Thanks to social networking sites, its easy to find old friends and keep in touch. That being said, if you went to your high school reunion, who exactly are you going there to see? Apparently your former classmates that you weren't friends with because you had nothing in common with them back then, and probably don't now either. So again, what's the point?

It seems to serve as an annual judge and compare competition, to see who's got the best job, who got fat, who's a loser....etc. I mean what else would you talk about? what else is the point of seeing all your classmates you never liked?
The point of them is to see how far the mighty (jocks and cheerleaders) have fallen over time. Their prime was during high school. Chances are they're mostly unemployed, married and miserable, or miserably divorced with children, and have worked nothing but minimum wage jobs since getting out of college. You can either take pity for their misfortune. You can also sit at the bar laughing.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,326,969 times
In full agreement, OP. High school was one of the worst times of my life. I'm SO happy I never have to relive those moments!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

23,588 posts, read 33,352,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
In full agreement, OP. High school was one of the worst times of my life. I'm SO happy I never have to relive those moments!
I second this. I have never even gone back to the same community my HS in Southern VA was in. It was that traumatic for me.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,417,238 times
Why is this such a common thread? Making a very simple issue into something complicated...

You didn't have a good time in HS? Don't go.

You had a neutral or good time in HS? Go.

You just flatly don't feel like going? Don't go. You don't need a reason.

The anecdotes and un-supported generalizations about the HS experience (usually based on a sample size of one)...oy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships