U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a past tormentor of you was terminally sick, how would you feel?
I would feel vindicated and not sorry for them at all 22 18.03%
A part of me would feel satisfied, another part would feel pity 17 13.93%
I'd feel nothing, I wouldn't care 52 42.62%
I would feel sorry for them and would tell them I forgive them and make peace 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,854,726 times

Advertisements

I guess the votes on here were pretty predictable since the majority of people here are Objectivists and Libertarians :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,735,856 times
I'd just feel nothing. It would be like an everyday person having cancer. Life goes on. However, if I were friends with the former bully then I would feel sad and probably try helping him/her out in what I can.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,392,748 times
I would feel bad to be honest. I have forgiven all of my school bullies, it's stupid to walk around and carry such hate towards another person like that over something they did when they were younger. Really by not forgiving them you are still letting them bother you.

People who are bullies do so because they learn it elsewhere. I met one of my bullies families once, talk about a disaster They were terrible people, his Dad was a drunk and abusive, his mom was addicted to heroine. His sister got pregnant at 13. I felt sorry for him, him and I became good friends after all that.

Also people kids need to stand up to bullies. No more of this "tell a teacher " crap. No, teach kids to defend themselves by any means necessary, the bully will stop once he gets hurt or stood up to.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,166,365 times
If this is a person who I never eventually became friends with & that person was only in my life during the bullying period, I'd just be thinking, "Woah!" but not much else. I won't be sending flowers or a get well card.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,180,081 times
To the OP, Cancer IS NOT punishment for anyone b/c of bad behavior (well, perhaps lung cancer in a person w/a hx of chronic cigarette smoking, but that's secondary to poor health choices, not a moral sentence).

Irrespective of how/why someone gets cancer, it's not anyone's place to assume/justify that it developed b/c the person committed sins xyz. The fact is, it has nothing to do with that.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:39 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,477,891 times
I would feel awful for them. Also some of the nicest people I have ever know have died from cancer, and they did nothing to deserve it. Bad things happen to good and bad people. I once had a boss that I believe was dishonest and cruel, and she has had horrible tragedy in her life recently. She lost a son and a daughter, and I find myself praying for her nightly. Yes, she was unkind, but no one deserves what she has been going through, and if I could make it better I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships