Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a past tormentor of you was terminally sick, how would you feel?
I would feel vindicated and not sorry for them at all 22 18.03%
A part of me would feel satisfied, another part would feel pity 17 13.93%
I'd feel nothing, I wouldn't care 52 42.62%
I would feel sorry for them and would tell them I forgive them and make peace 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

If you want me to be completely honest, it depends. If he/she was a little child when he/she bullied me, then I would feel much more pity and no satisfaction in what is currently happening to him/her. If he/she was much older, though, then I would feel some pity but also some satisfaction (assuming that he/she had a chance to think about and regret about what he/she previously did to me and refused to do this). If he/she was an adult (I'm not talking about school/college here) when he/she bullied me, then I would feel less pity and more satisfaction (again, assuming that he/she had a chance to think about and regret about what he/she previously did to me and refused to do this).

No offence, but I am simply saying/stating what I actually feel and think in regards to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
It all depends. If they were a child - the last option. If they had gotten their life together - the last option. But a part of me would still feel vindicated if they were at least about 14 at the time and were still a mean person. So the second option for them.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
What I would have chosen would be in between 2 and 3, although I probably wouldn't actually contact them to forgive them.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Someone who bullied me quite a bit died during our senior year of high school in a motorcycle accident.

They had a funeral and over half of our class attended. I didn't bother going.

I wasn't glad that he died. I just didn't care.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
There was a man who at one time I was going to hurt very badly for some things he did during my marriage. At the time I said I would dance on his grave some day, but recently I heard he had died of cancer and surprisingly I felt nothing...........no joy, no sadness, just nothing. It didn't mean anything to me any more, I guess time had healed some of my anger and hurt, or maybe I have just grown as a human being.

Don

Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM

878 posts, read 942,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Would you feel sorry for them, or would you feel like they were being punished for what they did to you/for being a horrible human being?
Karma's a b****...

Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How old was the person at the time? Are we to hold children responsible for ignorant, childish behavior for the rest of their lives? Should they be punished by disease or death?

No. You forgive and try to understand. They were going through something too.
No. Just no. They knew better at the time.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Those b*stard people don't "exactly" choose to be nasty.
Yes, their true selves , the pure spirit, innocent child is in there...but they have been
so victimized, hurt, neglected , swatted in their play pens...I mean, come on....
They are stuck, unable to crawl out of their dark pit...all they know is to protect themselves
as the immature, emotionally stunted personalities that they have become.
Honestly, I don't care. Know what I got bullied for? Using "big words," and making the rest of them look stupid. Which they were and to the best of my knowledge, still are. There is NO excuse for this and you making excuses...makes me dislike you very much.

If I knew one of them was suffering, I'd buy a nice bottle brandy and have a couple snifters, big ones, in celebration.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
No. Just no. They knew better at the time.

I could be a mean kid, too. You can't celebrate because someone bullied you WHEN THEY WERE A CHILD. I could see where you were coming from if they were an adult at the time, say if they were 18 then and are 50 now. Children cannot be judged like adults.

I outgrew my mean streak when I was about 8.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I would like to be one of the "high road" people, but I know I would have at least some feelin of satisfaction.

These people were the kind who would be aholes to others their entire lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships