U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a past tormentor of you was terminally sick, how would you feel?
I would feel vindicated and not sorry for them at all 22 18.03%
A part of me would feel satisfied, another part would feel pity 17 13.93%
I'd feel nothing, I wouldn't care 52 42.62%
I would feel sorry for them and would tell them I forgive them and make peace 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,407,233 times

Advertisements

Has happened a couple of times. I wasn't happy about it, just figured that Mother Nature and Father Time do catch up to us all, as a PP said.

Had one man I'd served with in the Army pass away much too young. Many people who spoke of him always said And he was always so wonderful to women. It would appear I was the one exception to that rule. I never told anyone, thought nothing positive could come of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 AM

4,064 posts, read 3,096,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

I could be a mean kid, too. You can't celebrate because someone bullied you WHEN THEY WERE A CHILD. I could see where you were coming from if they were an adult at the time, say if they were 18 then and are 50 now. Children cannot be judged like adults.

I outgrew my mean streak when I was about 8.
I would put the age cut off at 14. If 14 and up then they knew what they were doing. Under 14 the proper judgement just isn't there.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,085,728 times
I certainly don't condone bullying, but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone and would feel bad for the person.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,050,683 times
Quote:

I could be a mean kid, too. You can't celebrate because someone bullied you WHEN THEY WERE A CHILD. I could see where you were coming from if they were an adult at the time, say if they were 18 then and are 50 now. Children cannot be judged like adults.

What? So, 18 is the magical number when people suddenly knows right from wrong? What about high school bullies? 15, 16, 17?

So you are responsible enough to hold a job and drive, but you don't know that it is wrong to taunt another person?

These excuses baffle me.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,043,055 times
I would feel terrible for them. People are in pain and they lash out in strange, hurtful ways. A true bully gets satisfaction from someone else's pain and misery. If bullying is such a terrible thing...why would we take any satisfaction in knowing that someone has contracted a horrible disease/disorder? If someone bullies you or hurts you, to continue living in that hurt, throughout your entire life, simply means that you GIVE them the power to continue to hurt you. You're also becoming a toxic waste dump, that's destroying itself from the inside out.

Is it normal to get that twinge of relief, when we see someone who has been a truly evil person, get hit with something awful? Yeah....it is. The thing of it is....it is also normal, to feel guilty, when you have those joyful feelings, after hearing of someone's affliction.

In the case of molesters and abusers, there should be a measure of relief, that they're not going to be able to continue in their wicked ways...that they've finally been stopped, but we should never allow ourselves to become heartless monsters ourselves.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What? So, 18 is the magical number when people suddenly knows right from wrong? What about high school bullies? 15, 16, 17?

So you are responsible enough to hold a job and drive, but you don't know that it is wrong to taunt another person?

These excuses baffle me.
Try that "just kids" logic in a courtroom in Virginia. Virginia has tried kids as young as 14 as adults knowing there is no parole in this state. Apparently Virginia feels 14 is the age you should know what the hell you are doing. I agree with Virginia and not just bc I live here.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

33,280 posts, read 20,098,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Would you feel sorry for them, or would you feel like they were being punished for what they did to you/for being a horrible human being?
I would feel sorry for them, but I definitely would not feel like they were being punished for what they did.

There are a lot of good people suffer from cancer as well, is it some kind of punishment for them too?

Cancer is a horrible disease. It is not some kind of punishment.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 AM

878 posts, read 774,831 times
Quote:

Of course you make excuses, since you were a bully, yourself.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
Yeah, I couldn't choose "vindicated" because to me that would imply that he got cancer because of what he did to me. If people ever got what they deserved we would be living in a very different world. I'm also not sure the punishment fits the crime. Now, if they got some sort of public humiliation as a result of their bullying tendencies, that would rock.

I would, however, enjoy a bit of schadenfreude at the bully's expense. I did when one of my bullies died of cancer.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 PM

517 posts, read 1,471,903 times
I wouldn't gloat over anyone getting cancer.

But I would a little happy that a bully got it this time as opposed to a nice person.

I'm trying to imagine if this happened to the worst bully I encountered in school... I'd probably think to myself "bye bye a******" and get on with my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships