U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a past tormentor of you was terminally sick, how would you feel?
I would feel vindicated and not sorry for them at all 22 18.03%
A part of me would feel satisfied, another part would feel pity 17 13.93%
I'd feel nothing, I wouldn't care 52 42.62%
I would feel sorry for them and would tell them I forgive them and make peace 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM

563 posts, read 678,704 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that to become like them, is no better. Both virtuous and sinful people suffer regardless of what they've done. It's amazing to think that we all go through the same trials, and never get to understand each other that the other person can suffer as much as we do. Most people don't however, which is why I'm not condemning any of you for voting for the first three options.

~never-more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,708,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Would you feel sorry for them, or would you feel like they were being punished for what they did to you/for being a horrible human being?

I wouldn't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,185,298 times
I would feel relieved, because I still have several enemies from childhood and HS days

I would have no pity for them

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM

281 posts, read 374,527 times
Depends on how much of a "bully" the person was.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,674,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Would you feel sorry for them, or would you feel like they were being punished for what they did to you/for being a horrible human being?
Illness isn't a "punishment." Years ago my elderly aunt told me that AIDS was God's way of punishing gays. At the time, her sister-in-law was suffering from unbearably painful bone cancer. This other aunt had lived about as saintly a life as humanly possible. So I asked aunt #1 what aunt #2 had done to be "punished" by God. That made her realize her remark was completely illogical.

You can feel however you want to feel about this person, but I know far too many wonderful people who have had cancer to accept your attitude.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM

134 posts, read 290,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Why would any sane person even spare a single second reflecting on a past bully? Do not let them even rent a space in your head.
This^ I would feel totally indifferent

Old 08-26-2013, 01:09 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,496,882 times
A woman I went to high school with was the typical mean girl - my friends and I strongly disliked her, but we didn't really think that much about her. She just didn't signify to us. But I remember watching her just randomly verbally attack some girl in the hall one day. The exchange indicated that this was an ongoing kind of thing. I ended up speaking to the bullied girl later in the day and thought she was a pretty nice person - it was the day before spring break, and I was going to see if she wanted to hang out with me and my friends when we got back. We didn't share any classes, so I had never met her before.

Spring break came and went, and on our return an assembly was called to announce the death of the the bullied girl. She had apparently taken a deliberate overdose of the medication she used to treat her severe health problems.

20 years later, I heard that the high school mean girl's toddler son was battling a form of cancer that could easily kill him.

I'm an atheist, so I don't really believe in karma. And I sure as hell don't like hearing that a toddler is suffering. But I did find it ironic that so many people were expressing their compassion and best wishes for a woman who - when she was well beyond the age of knowing better - had no problem kicking a very sick girl when she was down.

I felt no satisfaction at learning her kid was sick, but part of me thought that if I HAD to learn that someone's child was deathly ill, I'd rather it be the child of someone I didn't particularly like than the child of someone I cared about, if that makes any sense. Primarily for the sake of her child, I hope she became a better and more caring person though.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,292,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa
No. You forgive and try to understand. They were going through something too.
Yes most ppl who do this ARE GOING THRU HARD TIMES AND THEY DO THIS TO MAKE THEMSELVES FEEL BETTER.......

Its not right but thats what the human animal does Im afraid

Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Why would any sane person even spare a single second reflecting on a past bully? Do not let them even rent a space in your head.
Depending on how much they tormented you easier said then done.

Personally I doubt that I would know if any of the bullies I ran into were terminally ill since I really don't know or don't care to even look them up.

As for all the people who excuse bullies for their behavior because they were just kids, well guess what, I was a kid too and I know I never went around harassing people. and I'm pretty sure a lot of people never went around raising hell and bullying others when they were kids. So there's no excuse.

There are a lot of kids who have rough times in their life but don't go around picking on others to make themselves feel better.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,101,538 times
There was this kid I knew in high school. He was a terrible bully. He put one kid in the hospital, cracked his skull open. Popular jock football player...When he went on to prestigious university he bullied through violent hazing, would rush dorm rooms more violently than typical. I think he put another kid in the hospital as a result. Anyway, he graduates gets an awesome job making big bucks driving a really expensive car and I would see him driving around town and being all young and wealthy and a part of me felt jealousy because he was such a d--k. Well, one night he was driving drunk and crashed into a tree and literally died in a fire. So, I guess it didn't matter how well off he was or how popular he was, karma got him back. I was not happy to hear he died, but wasn't sad either. I felt nothing, but thought how what goes around kinda comes around in a way. Just like the molester priest died of prostate cancer and that cadaver bone thief from Newark died of bone cancer. Erie stuff..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships