Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

I know married people who have kids that still aren't family oriented. Unless you ask someone what they mean by "family oriented" you really don't know what they are talking about.

And I agree, that has nothing to do with the work issue. I also work weekends and have been doing so for the last year with no relief because the second position couldn't be filled. Now they are interviewing again and, while I'll be flexible when scheduling, they will be working every other weekend on average. That's the job requirement.

Luckily I can be "family oriented" during the week, not just on weekends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Family oriented means liking to spend lots of time with your family (either spouse or children or parents/siblings). So if you're single and don't spend time much with your family, then you're not family oriented. But if you do spend time with your family regularly (like on weekends) then you are family oriented.

Maybe she knows that you don't regularly spend time with your family.

Or maybe it had nothing to do with you at all, she was just explaining why she chose not to work on weekends.
Neices and nephews aren't family?

As I said,the term is too broad.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Anything "gay"...including gay families.... is not 'family friendly'.
Why not?
According to you and others...
It....family friendly only means a mom and dad who are married with kids.
It excludes singles, neices,nephews,cousins,and also excludes childless couples,and gay couples with or without kids.

I don't have a problem with the 1st definition I read online.
I understand that one...if a restaurant calls themselves "family friendly" it means kids are allowed,and there is fun for all ages.
Got it.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Going back to your OP, why did you ask the woman the question in the first place?

I guess what I'm not understanding is, how is that if weekends are required, people get a choice (and can use the excuse that they are family-oriented)? If this woman is not working weekends using that excuse because she CAN, it's not her you should be annoyed with. It's whomever is in charge and not mandating that the work be equally shared/rotated. My sister was a nurse with a young child, and she certainly had to work weekends and holidays.

The woman you are mad at is merely stating a fact--she wants her weekends with her FAMILY. There's nothing wrong with that and no reason that you should take offense over that.. What you do need to take offense over is that your management isn't distributing the weekend work fairly. How can it be up to the EMPLOYEES to decide whether they will work or not?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM

I guess I got mad because she is the type of person that talks about her familiy all the time,whereas I'm quiet. I rarely say much to anyone,because I figure its nobody else's business. I also figured she was making an Assumption that I don't have a family,or I don't want to spend time with my family.

We were asked to work weekends,but work it out amongst ourselves how we were going to do it.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess I got mad because she is the type of person that talks about her familiy all the time,whereas I'm quiet. I rarely say much to anyone,because I figure its nobody else's business. I also figured she was making an Assumption that I don't have a family,or I don't want to spend time with my family.

We were asked to work weekends,but work it out amongst ourselves how we were going to do it.
That isn't right to take advantage by using her kids as an excuse. Just because you don't have kids (or even if you did but didn't talk about them all the time like she does) doesn't mean you don't have a life.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Oh gawd, I hate that, it leads to so much squabbling.

I'm currently in a job where one person thinks seniority matters, and tries to run over people when it comes to divvying up off time. The ***** is such an abrasive person, she has cowed a number of people; even caused them to just up and leave the job. Finally, someone went to management and said "look. there is a diva here who makes life hell because she is allowed. someone needs to do something about that before HR is brought in." Supervision stepped in and leveled the playing field, saying that no one person has more rights to the benefits; this is not a union shop. It hasn't entirely resolved the issue, but people do speak up.

To be absolutely fair, it's usually best that management lays down the protocol, evenly balancing the time off and not allowing any but the most dire reason to deviate the fairness.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Puddles♥ View Post
I responded to the OP before I saw this and I pretty much said the same thing. The word "family" has been loaded with all sorts of social baggage. It's used as a badge of higher moral authority.
I totally agree with that. Just turn it around and think about what "NOT family-friendly" implies. Most people would say it refers to something rude, overly sexual, alcohol- or drug-oriented, etc. And that in NO WAY describes even the majority of people who don't have spouses or children. The term is used to imply that people who have intact families are superior in some way to those who don't. And yet I know many people with spouses and children who are lewd, sexually promiscuous, alcoholic, and many other negative characteristics. Go to a strip club and how many people there will be married.

In the town where I live a local business advertises on the radio constantly. At the end of their spiel about the business they add, "Not open on Sunday, which is reserved for family and worship."

Why do they need to tell me that? They don't mention any hours of operation. Can go on Thursday at 9pm or is that their bowling night? I can't interpret that as anything except code to the tens of thousands of Evangelical Christians who live in this community. And my gut-level reaction to that statement is I wouldn't go there just because they're being self-congratulatory prigs.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Yeah, this. Military was big on that. Family friendly was the thing, and it meant married with kids. You were either married with kids, or you were single, young, and in a dorm room drinking (that was the perception, I'm not saying I agree) and I agree with Boxus - the military's "family-friendly" was boring as HELL ...
I've heard it said many times that having not only a wife and children, but also church membership (and often even specific KINDS of churches), is an absolute requirement for being promoted in some branches the military. I guess General Petraeus blew that theory all to pieces. But now he's working for the New York investment giants Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. The captains of industry on Wall Street are about the farthest thing from family-friendly, so I guess he'll fit right in.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Why would I be envious? Where did it say I was envious?

I must have read the definition wrong,even though when I looked up the word,there were 2 definitions.

Btw,does family oriented include gay couples with kids? On one board I went to,it said NO!

How is that family oriented?

I do resent the word in some ways...
When my coworker said that,she made it seem her family was more important than me having some time off on weekends,as if I just stare at walls all damn day.

If you're resenting the word is just a minor little blip, then I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but if it is more than that, it just sounds childish and petulant, at least to me.

I don't have kids, it's just me the SO and a fat old cat, but I consider that to be my "family" and I guess I'm "family oriented" because they are my priorities.

I don't take issue with gays, they can be a family unit too.

I think because you are single you are probably feeling slighted.... that is fine, I just wouldn't take it so personally is all.

Being single is fine, nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships