U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,455,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Why are you against tipping?

Because I lose money by tipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Back in the 1970s you could make close to free phone calls from phone booths.

Let's say you wanted to make a long distance call that would cost $0.45. You need two public phones side by side to do this. You stick a dime in the phone and dial the number. The operator comes on and asks you to deposit $0.35. You get the other phone's earpiece and stick it next to your phone's mouthpiece. You stick the thrity five cents into the other phone; the operator is listening for seven dings (one ding equals five cents). She hears the dings and enables your call. You hit the change return on the other phone.
I don't know why this reminds me of an old trick EVERYONE did in college back in the 80s. Use old pantyhose/tights to keep your quarters when you did the laundry with those machines that you lay the coins in and push. It took some skill, once in a while the stockings would rip and you would lose a quarter or two.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,334,934 times
Quote:
Hope you don't eat at the same place more than twice. Wait staff remember people that don't tip. You may get the "special sauce."

Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,050,730 times
Quote:
So does the person working hard for you who, through no fault of their own, relies on tips to make ends meet.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,018,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
So does the person working hard for you who, through no fault of their own, relies on tips to make ends meet.

Posted with TapaTalk
This is the thing that p*sses me off about non-tippers. That waitress is probably making $2.65 an hour. Yes, the system sucks, but that is the way it is. Only time I will not tip is if I know the owner keeps them.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM

290 posts, read 296,539 times
Quote:
You also lose money by eating out. If you are concerned enough about your budget to not tip your poor wait staff, I highly recommend eating at home. Saves you cash

Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,050,730 times
People should just figure-in an extra 20% when they make the decision to eat at a place where tipping is REQUIRED.

Go to McDonalds or something where people don't already have tips calculated in their low wages!

Waitresses, cabbies, valets, and ushers all get tips from me. It's an insult not to.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
I have a well-off relative who gave my son a re-gifted birthday gift.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
Still, I think I'm cheaper than she is. I am MR. CHEAP.

Here you go: Mail a letter for three cents, right? On the envelope, place the destination address in the top left corner and the return address in the middle (in other words, you switch the TO and FROM addresses on the envelope). Stick a three cent stamp on the envelope. Post office looks at it, insufficient postage -> RETURN TO SENDER, or the place you want the letter to actually go.
That is basically stealing. My office just got a "return to sender" envelope that was mailed 6 months prior. There is a good chance your envelope won't ever make it to its destination.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 AM

718 posts, read 1,543,549 times
You guys remember a commercial from a few years ago about this guy calling his parents after the birth of his son and placing a collect call and when he had to say who was placing the call he would mutter "It's a boy" real quick so his parents knew it was a boy and then decline the charges but the information was already stated? Now THAT'S cheap!

I remembered a few other instances of some of the things my family did to save money:

My grandmother and some of my aunts would do this. When the rare event occurred that they took a vacation somewhere and had to stay at a hotel they would always take the towels and the shampoo and conditioner and soap and pretty much anything that they could get away with. I'll never forget staying the night at my aunts house and seeing "Holiday Inn" embroidered towel and using "Motel 6" shampoo.

In Mexico it is tradition that when you cook an animal you don't waste a thing. Go to any Mexican supermarket and take a look at their meat department and I guarantee you will see whole heads of pig along with parts of the animals you never considered eating. I was horrified the first time I saw my grandmother cooking her delicious chicken soup and I saw a chicken foot sticking out of the pot and then see one of my uncles just gnawing on it at the table.

To this day my father will never ever throw anything away. I mean he obviously throws away trash and stuff but anything of remote value to him he will keep.He is what I like to call a meticulous hoarder. He's not like the extreme hoarders you see on T.V. with crap all over the place. His garage is an optical illusion of sorts. You see all these clean panels along the wall but of you remove a panel you will find his collection of everything from xmas lights that don't work to a set of encyclopedias from the 70's. I urge him to get rid of some stuff but he refuses saying that he might need it someday. It's not so much that he's cheap which he totally isn't but he certainly doesn't like to waste anything.

When I worked at a video store years ago we had this little known policy that if you didn't like the movie for any reason you could come back and exchange it for another at no charge. There was this one particular customer who knew this policy and would rent one movie and then return it the next day stating it was "too boring" and then get another movie which predictably would also be "too boring". He kept this up for a while until the manager finally stepped up and told him he had abused the policy and was no longer entitled to more than one free rental per month. Never saw him again after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or