U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 AM

16,794 posts, read 14,438,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I would have opened the wine, taken out some snacks along with the hour along chat. Even if you and your wife no longer drink, unless you are recovering alcoholics, I would have made an exception to be sociable. I would also have shown them around parts of the inside and outside of the place, talked about our plans for it, etc.

Perhaps overall they got the feeling you and they didn't click, as you said. Maybe they realized you weren't drinkers and then felt foolish bringing over the wine. It made them uncomfortable. Same as if someone brings over cupcakes or a cake, polite to offer it around, even if you're on a diet. Although they turned you down for dinner or lunch, maybe try again at a holiday. Offer to have them over for refreshments, holiday cookies, whatever.
Exactly this. The wine was brought to be opened and shared. You are in California, not Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,041,515 times
Perhaps but there are a lot of people that do not drink alcohol. I would never bring alcohol to new neighbors.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,041,515 times
Funny, i got new neighbors about hree weeks ago. They bought the house directly across the street. As i said in my prior post, its not an unfriendly neighborhood but everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. I have seen them when i got into my car and we have exchanged waves.

The people who bought that house before the last owner moved in and iwent over to introduce myself when i saw the guy in his garage. He gave me a look like i was ready to mug him. That couple turned out to be very strange and unfriendly. They wouldnt even give a neighborly wave. They soon sold and the prior owner moved in. He was friendly and would chat. But again, it was just being a nice neighbor, not a friend.

Ill jist stick to waving at the new people. If they feel like introducing themselves, fine, i will be friendly. But if they dont, i dont care.

Different areas different ways.

Reminds me of a funny incident that happened to a friend of mine about thirty years ago. New neighbors moved in next to him. They came over with cookies and introduced themselves. My friend and his wife offered them drinks, they sat and chatted for awhile. My friend was into smoking pot at that time and he was ready to roll and offer them some. He decided not to. Good thing, the new neighbor turned out to be an FBI agent.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 AM

9 posts, read 11,155 times
Thanks for all the responses. Perhaps there was a faux pas on our part by not opening the wine, but as I said, we don't drink. I don't think where you are changes that.

Perhaps I read too much into it. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM

15,142 posts, read 12,004,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
They simply wanted to meet you and introduce themselves.
Very nice of them to do that. But, they clearly are not looking to make close friendships.

Dont make a big deal about it. Just smile and wave when you see them.
Close to my first thought.
Smart people, pie, wine, cookies...wanted to meetcha, say hi.
But, we all must know at our age...don't get too close to neighbors bec
they could start walking in the front door asking for coffee everyday...we never know.
So a wave with a smile is enough for me and casual chatting about the
cute foxes around ....no lunches...cause if there ever is a political, religious conflict
or any other issue...gee, ya live next to 'em for years!

I never have neighbors fix anything in my house, work on my car or cut my hair.
For obvious reasons...keep it simple and friendly at arm's length.

(I've finally learned after a decade...and never loan anything ...never has it ever come back
UNbroken!!!!!!!!! An amazing phenomenon...truly amazing...but I just laugh.)

Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM

20,298 posts, read 16,471,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Perhaps but there are a lot of people that do not drink alcohol. I would never bring alcohol to new neighbors.
They could have opened it and just allowed the neighbors to drink it, though, while drinking something non-alcoholic themselves. People do expect it to be opened during the visit, IMO, although I think if that's why they are staying away now though, that it is a silly reason.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,183,634 times
some people dont like being bothered , I would never accept food if a person brought it over to welcome me to the neighborhood, I would say no thank you

just a friendly wave or hello is enough

and it's really none of your business to ask them where they work or what they do for a living etc, unless they tell you first

one thing I dont like is a nosey , snoopy neighbor that thinks they need to know everything about you, sometimes you should just mind your own business

and respect their privacy

Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 AM

16,794 posts, read 14,438,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
some people dont like being bothered , I would never accept food if a person brought it over to welcome me to the neighborhood, I would say no thank you
Seriously? You would reject their gift and send them home with it? Wow.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM

12,770 posts, read 9,809,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Exactly this. The wine was brought to be opened and shared. You are in California, not Utah.
No, I completely disagree. The wine was just a gift, there is no expectation of opening it and sharing their gift with you. It's a kind gesture. Put it on the shelf and save it for company another time.
This was an introduction, simple as that. They don't want to go on social outings with you, they simply want to meet you.
They were being polite, something people use to do routinely. Think no more of it.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM

14,260 posts, read 7,860,746 times
Just because they are busy doesn't mean you can't be friends. They seem like nice people, just let nature takes it's course and go with the flow. We had a nice young couple move in recently and they haven't been in our house yet but his mother has. We clicked because we're in the same age group, but I'll bet you the new neighbors will be at our Halloween party and their dog will be in our yard playing with my boys soon. Sometimes these relationships take years to evolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships