U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,084,254 times
Reputation: 6149

Advertisements

I will agree with (Mike930) on 1 thing in particular--the personal interaction thing.

Now people do have the right to interact or not interact however they please, but it is a sad thing, and it's okay to comment on it as a sad thing I think, that for any number of reasons (perhaps the phone being one of them) I have myself found that people aren't as "engaging" as they used to be, in a lot of ways.

I recall growing up & all the family get-togethers we had, and how much fun they were. I try & do the same for my kids, and getting people to come over & spend time is like pulling teeth. Heck, bring your phone, bring your tablet, that's fine, I'm not going to give you a hard time with "can't you put that thing down for one lousy minute?" Even when it's someone's birthday, even of the kids', and you're wanting a good party for them, it's all you can do to get people to actually show up, and stay awhile, and laugh-carry-on and such. If/when they do come, they're always so lame. My wife describes them perfectly, calling them "pretend like we care" birthday parties.

I'm in east TX, and good grief are people here huge on football. Me, I could give a rip. On Thanksgiving Day, it's a tradition to have a football game on that day, and yes people MUST, MUST, MUST watch the game. MUST. Heck I'm into basketball, but even I think that the NBA demanding its players play on Christmas is silly. Even one of the NBA coaches (Stan Van Gundy) once said basically "if you have nothing better to do on Christmas Day than watch a basketball game, I feel sorry for you" (or something like that). I couldn't agree more.

Yes, people have the right to watch football all they want it's not my business, yet at the same time it's okay to observe how sad you feel it is that it's hard to get people to come over on turkey day and actually INTERACT with people vs watching a stupid darn game. It's a HOLIDAY for pete's sake. (One way we sometimes work around it: the game may come on later, say, around 6, and we may have people over from, say 12-4 and by that time we're ready for them to leave anyway, ha ha. When it's like that I'm fine with it.)

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
 
5,621 posts, read 8,556,651 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Outside of law and the rules of a business, I'll determine I am causing others around an issue with my phone use. Ironically I'm eating lunch as I'm typing this and no one around has a problem with it. Now the screaming kids at the table next to me, way more annoying than a damn Galaxy Note II. Where is the outrage over that?
THANK YOU!!!


Those people are SO RUDE and inconsiderate!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,703,964 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I was responding to the anti-cell. But as you wish:


I need my smart phone to provide Internet to my laptop to send in reports/do work from anywhere.
I don't understand why you're protesting so much. The video posted by the OP has nothing to do with people doing business. It has everything to do with people who can no longer appreciate being in the moment with other people.

I am the owner of a Galaxy S3. It's saved my butt hundreds of times. I do text a lot more than call these days (but not while driving - and anyone who defends texting while driving is a facking moron). And there have been occasions when I'm with someone and start shooting a video or take a photo and stop and think, "what the hell am I doing this for?" so I put it away and enjoy the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,084,254 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't understand why you're protesting so much. The video posted by the OP has nothing to do with people doing business. It has everything to do with people who can no longer appreciate being in the moment with other people.

I am the owner of a Galaxy S3. It's saved my butt hundreds of times. I do text a lot more than call these days (but not while driving - and anyone who defends texting while driving is a facking moron). And there have been occasions when I'm with someone and start shooting a video or take a photo and stop and think, "what the hell am I doing this for?" so I put it away and enjoy the company.
I think what people are protesting, at least this is what I'm protesting anyway, is that it's for some reason become fashionable to bash & judge people for the simple act of using a phone. It reminds me a lot of the way people were to smokers 20-odd years ago, & believe me, I don't smoke & I hate the smell etc as well, it's just that I recall how that so much fuss was being made over them that at times seemed disproportionate to the alleged offense. As my mother used to say, you don't see them throwing half as much of a fit over the drinking epidemic, & it's far more harmful. (This was before DUI laws were drafted.)

I have noticed that cell-phone based "offenses" are getting called out in regards that other non cell-phone "offenses" aren't. I recall a job where they'd throw a FIT if someone pulled out their cell phone to show someone a photo of their child or dog etc, but someone showing a 4x6 print of the same thing was just fine. People scream bloody murder about texting-driving but a few years back when a teen KILLED a jogger because he was twiddling with this vehicle's musical sound system, you hardly heard a peep from other people. I have taken photographs of silly everyday things for YEARS with no one saying anything about "put down your camera & live in the moment, quit thinking you have to take photos of your food" etc, but since people now Instagram such, all of a sudden that's all you're hearing. I've had people give me dirty looks when I log my spending in my phone at the grocery store, even when I do it very quickly, but someone writing a check (not as common anymore) or (much more common) buying a bunch of lottery tickets (both activities that can really hold the line up), I never hear anyone complain about that.

To me, that's a form of discrimination similar to racism.

Also, my other point is this--unless it's a safety issue or something that's disruptive similar to how unruly kids are disruptive, it's really not anyone's business how much someone likes to use their phone, anymore than it's anyone's business why someone decided to get a tattoo (although I will be the first to say I much prefer how a female looks WITHOUT them), or why someone drives a station wagon instead of a Ferrari, or why someone likes green shirts vs red ones, or why someone likes mustard but hates mayonnaise, etc. It's just like how, for instance, if someone keeps a messy house, that's fine to complain about if it truly affects you (their mess leads to vermin that are now in YOUR house), but when it's for reasons such as you just don't like it or even if it's because it affects property values of the neighborhood, now we're taking things too far I say.

We can debate such merits & say "I hate mustard, it sucks" or whatever all day long, that's fine, but with cell phones it's to where anymore the outrage is way out of proportion. You'd think people who are attached to their cell phones were Ku Klux Klan members burning crosses on people's lawns or something.

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,352 posts, read 7,833,116 times
Reputation: 18589
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I think what people are protesting, at least this is what I'm protesting anyway, is that it's for some reason become fashionable to bash & judge people for the simple act of using a phone. It reminds me a lot of the way people were to smokers 20-odd years ago, & believe me, I don't smoke & I hate the smell etc as well, it's just that I recall how that so much fuss was being made over them that at times seemed disproportionate to the alleged offense. As my mother used to say, you don't see them throwing half as much of a fit over the drinking epidemic, & it's far more harmful. (This was before DUI laws were drafted.)

I have noticed that cell-phone based "offenses" are getting called out in regards that other non cell-phone "offenses" aren't. I recall a job where they'd throw a FIT if someone pulled out their cell phone to show someone a photo of their child or dog etc, but someone showing a 4x6 print of the same thing was just fine. People scream bloody murder about texting-driving but a few years back when a teen KILLED a jogger because he was twiddling with this vehicle's musical sound system, you hardly heard a peep from other people. I have taken photographs of silly everyday things for YEARS with no one saying anything about "put down your camera & live in the moment, quit thinking you have to take photos of your food" etc, but since people now Instagram such, all of a sudden that's all you're hearing. I've had people give me dirty looks when I log my spending in my phone at the grocery store, even when I do it very quickly, but someone writing a check (not as common anymore) or (much more common) buying a bunch of lottery tickets (both activities that can really hold the line up), I never hear anyone complain about that.

To me, that's a form of discrimination similar to racism.

Also, my other point is this--unless it's a safety issue or something that's disruptive similar to how unruly kids are disruptive, it's really not anyone's business how much someone likes to use their phone, anymore than it's anyone's business why someone decided to get a tattoo (although I will be the first to say I much prefer how a female looks WITHOUT them), or why someone drives a station wagon instead of a Ferrari, or why someone likes green shirts vs red ones, or why someone likes mustard but hates mayonnaise, etc. It's just like how, for instance, if someone keeps a messy house, that's fine to complain about if it truly affects you (their mess leads to vermin that are now in YOUR house), but when it's for reasons such as you just don't like it or even if it's because it affects property values of the neighborhood, now we're taking things too far I say.

We can debate such merits & say "I hate mustard, it sucks" or whatever all day long, that's fine, but with cell phones it's to where anymore the outrage is way out of proportion. You'd think people who are attached to their cell phones were Ku Klux Klan members burning crosses on people's lawns or something.

LRH
I'm trying to figure out if you're deliberately missing the point or if you really don't get it.

If I am in a darkened theater, it is annoying and distracting to have cell phone screens lit up all around me. Even worse, when an actor is on-stage, and after an announcement has been made regarding turning off any appliance that rings, beeps, tweets, whistles or otherwise makes noise, some fool will leave it on and it's pretty hard to hold one's composure when a phone rings in the middle of an 18th. century drawing room scene!

I don't pay for my purchases with a check. I don't buy lottery tickets for everybody in the apartment house. I usually use cash but sometimes a debit card. The stores I shop in have something called a receipt. They hand it to me when the transaction is finished. I enter the amount in my check book when I get home. You could probably do the same, but then, no one would see that you have a cell phone.

I am not "outraged" at your use of your cell phone. But it is pretty outrageous that you refuse to acknowledge that there are abuses. <sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,084,254 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're deliberately missing the point or if you really don't get it.

If I am in a darkened theater, it is annoying and distracting to have cell phone screens lit up all around me. Even worse, when an actor is on-stage, and after an announcement has been made regarding turning off any appliance that rings, beeps, tweets, whistles or otherwise makes noise, some fool will leave it on and it's pretty hard to hold one's composure when a phone rings in the middle of an 18th. century drawing room scene!

I don't pay for my purchases with a check. I don't buy lottery tickets for everybody in the apartment house. I usually use cash but sometimes a debit card. The stores I shop in have something called a receipt. They hand it to me when the transaction is finished. I enter the amount in my check book when I get home. You could probably do the same, but then, no one would see that you have a cell phone.

I am not "outraged" at your use of your cell phone. But it is pretty outrageous that you refuse to acknowledge that there are abuses. <sigh>

What I am getting at is that, yes, there are abuses but (a) even when there are, the level of outrage expressed over them is, I think, often-times way out of proportion to the level of the offense and (b) it's gotten to the point that anymore just using a cell phone at ALL elicits stares & grunts of irritation that are totally out-of-line and (c) often-times there's a special bias against cell phone usage that isn't present with similar situations that DON'T involve cell phones, and to me that's bigotry.

Also, there is the presumption that someone using a cell phone in public is doing so to be a show-off "oh, look at me." In my case, that's not even at all the case, and to assume as much is presumptuous. People text at the table etc for any number of reasons--maybe they were considerate enough to leave their child with a sitter vs bringing their noisy child with them, but the sitter can't find the children's Tylenol & you're letting them know. Regardless of how important or how silly of a reason for them doing that, that's not anyone's business unless, as I've said numerous times, doing such results in a disruption analogous to a noisy child etc, in which case yes you may have a point.

I enter transactions in the check-out line because I've found if I don't do it then, the whole system falls apart and I end up keeping track of nothing. I think whether it's my doing that, or someone using a debit card or check, deserves some grace, so long as they don't up a HUGE amount of time. So, if you're writing a check, have it filled out (but not signed) with things like the "Pay to the Order of" line and the "for" portion and also have those written in the register, so that all you have to do is fill in the amount and sign. If it's a debit card, have your card on the ready, vs having to search through every inch of your pockets or hang bag to find it. The same goes for cash, too.

In like manner, with it being me logging what I spent, I have everything entered but the amount, so as I hand them the money & I await change, I can enter the amount & "save" quicker than they can pass the change to me. (Or if I'm using a debit card, again, I have it ready, I swipe, enter PIN, GO and while waiting for it to go "approved," because that takes 5 seconds or so, I enter the amount in the phone during that window of time. By the time it says "approved," I've done so, saved, I'm done.)

So, yes, I'm quick, my delays are minimal if not downright non-existent, so for someone to take issue with that or make out like I'm doing so to be a show-off, such is the height of arrogance and making improper assumptions. As I'm not delaying anything or holding anyone up, I owe NOBODY an explanation for what I'm doing.

As for the "bigotry," I submit that when a job throws a fit over someone showing a photo of their kids etc on their phone or tablet but someone else showing a photo of their kids etc in physical print form is perfectly okay, that's a double standard that's nothing less than a form of bigotry. It's not any different than making African-Americans ride in the back of the bus or drink from their own fountain. Yes, really, I am serious, it's the exact same thing--maybe not as outrageous or as worthy of movies decrying the practice, but it's still the same sort of thing.

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Big Bear City, CA
43 posts, read 151,211 times
Reputation: 71
It depends on the scenario for me. If I'm at some place I don't really care about then I'll whip out my phone and keep myself entertained that way.

I was at a little house party on Saturday and I noticed some people were like this. I did take out my phone on occasion either to check the time or to text/call a couple of friends to see if they were coming, but other than that I tried to socialize with some of the people because I really did want to talk to them. Since moving away from my group of friends I don't see them that often so I considered this night to be rather special.

When it comes down to it. If I'm around people I know and like then I won't use the phone. If it's a bunch of strangers or just places I care not to be, I'm whipping it out. My phone that is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
 
1,410 posts, read 1,815,375 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Cell phones are the umbilical cord of the Millenial generation.

I find it so odd that many of them in my office building have to hold them in their hands looking at them constantly while going down the elevator to get lunch. Bet they sleep with them too
Kind of like the way adults in the middle of the last century were always smoking. Cigs were the older generations' umbilical cords. We used to be exposed to their 2nd hand smoke, and now we're exposed to all the noise from having to hear others' cellphone conversations wherever we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM
 
1,410 posts, read 1,815,375 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
To be honest its not just the phone thing its the whole need to be looking at a screen 24/7 that makes me wonder. I see kids of 3 or 4 playing games on their parents iPhones while sitting in the cart in the grocery store, SUV's have the option of dvd players 'to keep the kids entertained' even my grandkids seem to spend way too much time on either the pc or their leapfrog games. Have we really lost the power to entertain our children ourselves ? is it too much effort to talk to your child about what you are buying as you do your weekly shop ? or is it all about keeping them quiet ? a very Victorian principle where children were seen and not heard. To me its all very sad.

If I owned an iphone or other gadget like that, I wouldn't trust them in the hands of today's tots - they'd probably reprogram the danged thing without me knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
 
1,410 posts, read 1,815,375 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm one of the nutters who starts tripping out when the realize they don't have their phone. Ironically I was also someone who resisted having a cell phone until '07 and only did I get one then because I had a lot of person business going on outside of work. I like to have it on me more because I just want to know WHERE it is, or incase an event arises where I would need to report an accident or something. Its insane the way some people are about taking every call right now...if I am out to dinner or otherwise entertained I don't check it. Also pretty frustrating that many people just get irate when their call isn't answered...in the days of landlines they would just assume the person they were calling wasn't home.
Just because someone calls I still don't feel obligated to answer (unless its work). Just because my phone is on me doesn't mean I am availabe to talk.
An odd thing I've found is that of all those who've given me their cell #s, I've usually had to leave a message on them anyway, because they didn't pick up right then (could've been driving or some other number of reasons), and yet, when I'm physically in their presence, they never fail to let their incoming phone call interrupt the flow of our conversation. They always pick up other calls in front of me.

Oh, and to those on here who insist that their cellphone habits are nobody else's business: How would it not be my business if I were to invite you over to my home, after I've gone through the trouble of tidying up the place, possibly cooking or paying for some refreshments to provide, and the thanks I get is having you be physically present with me, yet mentally present instead for someone on the other end of the phone who's not even here? How do you think it would make me feel to have my guest give someone who's not even here their attention instead? It would make me feel like I must be boring them and that whoever they're on the phone with is more important to them. Even worse if you were my guest and were making an outgoing phone call in my home.

And what about that poor young lady at the beginning of the OP video, who had her arm around her man in bed (probably right after making love) while he's looking at his stupid phone instead of her! She should've dumped him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top