U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,815,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I WAS talking about drama queens...if its someone calling who usually has something of importance to say OR someone who rarely calls I generally answer. Plus I don't have friends who live locally so me being of aid in an emergency isn't likely. Also if I NEED to speak with someone URGENTLY I will shoot them a text so they can determine if its worth their while to respond immediately. I don't believe I am OBLIGATED to take peoples calls. Everytime my phone rings its a decsion making process and I weigh the pros and cons.
Off topic but I am also not someone who feels obligated to answer the door when someone stops by unexpectedly either.
Its not being a bad friend imho...its expecting a certain level of courtsey from others.
I remember a time when that wouldn't have gone over too well, because it used to be more common for friends or friendly acquaintances to drop by like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

254 posts, read 320,667 times
This conversation really veered off from what (I feel) was the sprit of the original posters video. The birthday party, dinner party and bowling bits made me kinda sad. But.......*shrugs* .......what can one do? I have one friend with whom I've just decided to no longer hang out with in person because she is one of those people who will leave you sitting there by yourself the whole time while she checks her Facebook incessantly for the latest ecard funny. Instead, I 'check in' with her on a chat app. It is what it is, and those of us who know how to have 3D interaction with others will gravitate towards others like us and those who don't know anything but 2D interaction will gravitate toward thier kind.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
An odd thing I've found is that of all those who've given me their cell #s, I've usually had to leave a message on them anyway, because they didn't pick up right then (could've been driving or some other number of reasons), and yet, when I'm physically in their presence, they never fail to let their incoming phone call interrupt the flow of our conversation. They always pick up other calls in front of me.

Oh, and to those on here who insist that their cellphone habits are nobody else's business: How would it not be my business if I were to invite you over to my home, after I've gone through the trouble of tidying up the place, possibly cooking or paying for some refreshments to provide, and the thanks I get is having you be physically present with me, yet mentally present instead for someone on the other end of the phone who's not even here? How do you think it would make me feel to have my guest give someone who's not even here their attention instead? It would make me feel like I must be boring them and that whoever they're on the phone with is more important to them. Even worse if you were my guest and were making an outgoing phone call in my home.

And what about that poor young lady at the beginning of the OP video, who had her arm around her man in bed (probably right after making love) while he's looking at his stupid phone instead of her! She should've dumped him.
What if it is an important conversation that cannot wait or something urgent that can be done and over with? I'd do the decent thing and excuse myself and step outside for 5 minutes (comparable to a bathroom break) and handle the issue so I can get that off my mind so I can be fully "mentally present" for your hosting. If 5 minutes of not getting my attention bothers you, even after I RESPECTFULLY state I need to handle something quick, then you have issues.

Quote:
I remember a time when that wouldn't have gone over too well, because it used to be more common for friends or friendly acquaintances to drop by like that.
That may have been then but not today. My friends and mother know damn well I have a tight schedule as someone who is a graduate student and works FT and they know to give me notice if they want to stop by and understand when I say, not today I have work to do. I think any friend I'd keep would at least be somewhat courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships