U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,572 posts, read 24,165,931 times
Reputation: 49001

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
To be honest its not just the phone thing its the whole need to be looking at a screen 24/7 that makes me wonder. I see kids of 3 or 4 playing games on their parents iPhones while sitting in the cart in the grocery store, SUV's have the option of dvd players 'to keep the kids entertained' even my grandkids seem to spend way too much time on either the pc or their leapfrog games. Have we really lost the power to entertain our children ourselves ? is it too much effort to talk to your child about what you are buying as you do your weekly shop ? or is it all about keeping them quiet ? a very Victorian principle where children were seen and not heard. To me its all very sad.
I was recently at a wedding, and during the reception the flower girl (who is 4) started having a meltdown. Her mom brought up a cartoon on her iPhone, and sat it in front of the kid and it was like, bam, immediate zombie. I didn't know whether to be impressed or distressed by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,583 posts, read 5,748,676 times
Reputation: 4260
I'm one of the nutters who starts tripping out when the realize they don't have their phone. Ironically I was also someone who resisted having a cell phone until '07 and only did I get one then because I had a lot of person business going on outside of work. I like to have it on me more because I just want to know WHERE it is, or incase an event arises where I would need to report an accident or something. Its insane the way some people are about taking every call right now...if I am out to dinner or otherwise entertained I don't check it. Also pretty frustrating that many people just get irate when their call isn't answered...in the days of landlines they would just assume the person they were calling wasn't home.
Just because someone calls I still don't feel obligated to answer (unless its work). Just because my phone is on me doesn't mean I am availabe to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 AM
 
2,743 posts, read 1,771,569 times
Reputation: 3378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm one of the nutters who starts tripping out when the realize they don't have their phone. Ironically I was also someone who resisted having a cell phone until '07 and only did I get one then because I had a lot of person business going on outside of work. I like to have it on me more because I just want to know WHERE it is, or incase an event arises where I would need to report an accident or something. Its insane the way some people are about taking every call right now...if I am out to dinner or otherwise entertained I don't check it. Also pretty frustrating that many people just get irate when their call isn't answered...in the days of landlines they would just assume the person they were calling wasn't home.
Just because someone calls I still don't feel obligated to answer (unless its work). Just because my phone is on me doesn't mean I am availabe to talk.
See, that's your problem. You didn't read the fine print when you bought your cell phone that says you have to be at everyone's disposal since you have the thing. People DO feel that you have to answer.

It's a great tool. I have one. But I could do without it. I'll bet that if a billionaire offered $10 million to anyone that could go without their phone for a week, 95% of people couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,085,541 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Its insane the way some people are about taking every call right now...if I am out to dinner or otherwise entertained I don't check it. Also pretty frustrating that many people just get irate when their call isn't answered...in the days of landlines they would just assume the person they were calling wasn't home.
Just because someone calls I still don't feel obligated to answer (unless its work). Just because my phone is on me doesn't mean I am availabe to talk.
I come from the era of when, with landlines, people answered the phone always & to not do so was just the most weird thing for a person to do. To me, it is rude to just ignore a call just because you don't feel like talking. Is it the right of a person to do so? Of course it is, and in fact if you're talking about a situation where you're tied up, busy, in the shower etc, by all means. If it's your boss bugging you outside of 8-5 thinking you're supposed to be available outside of work, yes ignore it. If you're in the theatre & have it on silent, absolutely.

But this whole thing of where people are almost PROUD of just ignoring calls as a regular thing, I think it gets ridiculous sometimes. If I had broken down on the side of the road & was trying to call my buddy & found out he was just purposely not answering my phone call to him because he didn't feel like talking (vs he was in the shower or occupied, say, involved in a do-it-yourself repair project etc), I'd be beyond ticked off at such selfishness on his part & yes I would consider it selfishness on HIS part.

Friends should BE THERE for each other for such things, not act selfish in the name of "boundaries." I myself would feel like such a prick if I had ignored someone's call & found out later on they were calling me due to being broken down on the side of the road & I had just ignored him because I didn't feel like talking. That's just selfish. People who do that sort of thing, to me it would serve them right for THEM to break down on the side of the road & no one answer their call, including AAA. (Understand--if you're talking about someone who is a "drama king" always needing this & that every other second to the point that you as a friend are getting bugged seemingly several times daily, then that's different.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,085,541 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
No one is saying cell phones are bad or people that use them are bad. But there are such things as manners. It's flat out rude to use your cell phone when buying something and I applaud the businesses that don't allow it.

Most of the posts are about people being disruptive. It's beyond rude to use the cell phone in a theater or at a concert. It's distracting and disruptive. Other people paid for tickets to watch the movie/concert, not people checking email or their stupid twitter account every 10 minutes. These people are no better than crack addicts.

If you want to walk and look down at your cell phone, fine. But move to one side so normal people can get by.
The problem is, the definition of what is considered "rude" is getting a bit ridiculous, & it's based, I think, on people with the whole "what did we used to do before cell phones" point of view, because they live that way & think that's how everyone else is supposed to be.

I don't see any problem using a phone while buying something or in a concert etc so long as it isn't REALLY distracting. I think people consider it "distracting" just because they are able to NOTICE someone using it. I don't think it's just in situations where the screen is blinding, or lines are held up etc (in such cases I can understand somewhat). I think it's just that it's become the latest fad, bashing cell phone uses. How many times do people scream about texting & driving, but you hear far less about eating/drinking/stereo/kids in the back seat/staring at a cute female jogger etc when all of those are legitimate driving distractions too, and just as bad and probably just as common.

When I've read about theatres & phones etc, one place, the name of which I can't recall, makes a point of EMBRACING phones insomuch that they realize & ACCEPT that smartphones are a common part of our society now, and learning ways to ACCEPT that while still making an environment where people aren't distracted. They offered people little shields they could put on their phone that dimmed the screen so it wasn't so bright. Don't ask me how that could possibly work on anything other than a vintage Blackberry, but apparently it did. I'm sure, too, that those who failed to use them, didn't turn their phones on vibrate etc, they were told to straighten up, which is fine, but by passing out the plastic shields, they made it possible for people to not have to leave their phone alone the entire time & also to not have others blinded by the light.

And if at that point people are still replying "oh gee whiz, darn idiots can't go one night without being hooked on their phone," my reply to such a person at that point would be simple--it's none of your freaking business. That theater's approach, to me, is a very sensible approach & far more level-headed than acting like using your cell phone anywhere but in a closet at home is tantamount to burning Jews in a gas chamber.

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,572 posts, read 24,165,931 times
Reputation: 49001
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
But this whole thing of where people are almost PROUD of just ignoring calls as a regular thing, I think it gets ridiculous sometimes. If I had broken down on the side of the road & was trying to call my buddy & found out he was just purposely not answering my phone call to him because he didn't feel like talking (vs he was in the shower or occupied, say, involved in a do-it-yourself repair project etc), I'd be beyond ticked off at such selfishness on his part & yes I would consider it selfishness on HIS part.
And you don't think it's selfish for you to expect and demand that anyone that you call be at your beck and call the second you want to speak with them? If you've left your buddy a message saying that you need help and he's purposely ignoring it, that's one thing, but just because your name comes up on the caller ID doesn't mean he has to drop what he's doing no matter what. That's life. Your issues are no one's priority but your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
 
16,797 posts, read 14,556,150 times
Reputation: 37911
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No one is doing business. They are posting selfies.
Actually, I am. I run my own business and the value I add is that I am responsive for work 24/7 (and clients are willing to pay for that). I need to check my email every 2 hours at minimum during waking hours and I sleep next to my phone and have set a special alert at night if I am needed. If it's midnight for me it is noon for some of my clients, so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
 
77 posts, read 112,344 times
Reputation: 66
unfortunately the people that need this the most
are not reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
 
12,540 posts, read 12,536,658 times
Reputation: 28901
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Yes, this is you. Today.
No, it's not. I went for well over a year without a cell phone, and the only reason I have one now is because I needed it for travel. Since I've been back, it has been in my purse, off, for two months. I take it out once in a while to check the charge and re-charge if necessary, but otherwise, it's for emergencies only.

So speak for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM
 
2,743 posts, read 1,771,569 times
Reputation: 3378
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
The problem is, the definition of what is considered "rude" is getting a bit ridiculous, & it's based, I think, on people with the whole "what did we used to do before cell phones" point of view, because they live that way & think that's how everyone else is supposed to be.

I don't see any problem using a phone while buying something or in a concert etc so long as it isn't REALLY distracting. I think people consider it "distracting" just because they are able to NOTICE someone using it. I don't think it's just in situations where the screen is blinding, or lines are held up etc (in such cases I can understand somewhat). I think it's just that it's become the latest fad, bashing cell phone uses. How many times do people scream about texting & driving, but you hear far less about eating/drinking/stereo/kids in the back seat/staring at a cute female jogger etc when all of those are legitimate driving distractions too, and just as bad and probably just as common.

When I've read about theatres & phones etc, one place, the name of which I can't recall, makes a point of EMBRACING phones insomuch that they realize & ACCEPT that smartphones are a common part of our society now, and learning ways to ACCEPT that while still making an environment where people aren't distracted. They offered people little shields they could put on their phone that dimmed the screen so it wasn't so bright. Don't ask me how that could possibly work on anything other than a vintage Blackberry, but apparently it did. I'm sure, too, that those who failed to use them, didn't turn their phones on vibrate etc, they were told to straighten up, which is fine, but by passing out the plastic shields, they made it possible for people to not have to leave their phone alone the entire time & also to not have others blinded by the light.

And if at that point people are still replying "oh gee whiz, darn idiots can't go one night without being hooked on their phone," my reply to such a person at that point would be simple--it's none of your freaking business. That theater's approach, to me, is a very sensible approach & far more level-headed than acting like using your cell phone anywhere but in a closet at home is tantamount to burning Jews in a gas chamber.

LRH
You sound like one of those dolts that feel its ok to turn on your phone in a theater as long as its just a minute or two. I'd ask you to turn it off or have you thrown out. I've done it before.

If you can't see the rudeness of talking on your cell while at a purchase counter, your mother did a pretty poor job of installing manners in you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top