U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM

6,352 posts, read 7,833,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Same here! We used to not have cars, indoor plumbing,but, I don't hear a lot of complaining about that. My phone just helps me so much with music, directions, e mail etc, I'm so glad I have my Droid razor.
Aptor, you're missing the point by a tad. Yes, we have many things that didn't use to exist - cars are wonderful to get us from "here" to "there", but when I'm not driving it, I'm not sitting in it, or checking it, or fondling it. Indoor plumbing? You bet I'm not complaining! I used to live without indoor plumbing and a cold, dark winter night is not a good time to have to pee. But now that I have a toilet, I don't spend my free time admiring it, or flushing it, or staring at it.

Your phone is just another implement that enhances your life - it shouldn't have to be the reason you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM

7,598 posts, read 9,457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From Russia, land of dashboard cams:

разборки на дороге - YouTube

While I don't think that kind of vigilantism is safe or warranted, we've probably all secretly wanted to do that.
Amen.

I really felt his frustration.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM

7,598 posts, read 9,457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Cell phones are the umbilical cord of the Millenial generation.

I find it so odd that many of them in my office building have to hold them in their hands looking at them constantly while going down the elevator to get lunch. Bet they sleep with them too
That's a pretty safe bet..

They should just end the speculation, and go out, find a justice of the peace, and marry their cellphones. I'm sure that they will have each other's equally undivided attention, since they don't know how to interact with real, live people without being annoying..

The young woman in the video is much more tolerant of her d-bag "friends" than I ever would be...

Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,664,209 times
If I had a buck for everytime my best friend asked "Have you seen my phone?" I could retire. She gets agita if she cannot find her iPhone.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM

14,411 posts, read 7,932,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Try going to a movie these days. People have to have their stupid phones on right up to the start of the movie. Even then some will check their phones during the movie. Hey, genius, that little light is extremely bright in a dark room. After the movie, the phones light up like crazy. These people are like heroin addicts. One guy was walking down the stairs of a theater and almost fell because he was so busy checking his phone. I've asked people to turn off their phones in a movie and received an angry response.

It is also extremely rude to be on your phone while at the cash register of a store. I know a few places that have signs saying you will not be served if you're on your phone. Bravo. I saw one guy get very upset when they enforced this rule.

My most irritating biggest pet peeve. I don't even bring my phone to the movies. It's creating a whole rude moron generation.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

3,272 posts, read 5,058,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Very true. I actually just got a basic smartphone (for free) justso I could stop getting all the weird stares and bad reactions from women when I pull out my regular slide phone. I actually prefer the slide phone because its smaller.

I can understand the young generation getting into to it, b/c when you're young to tend to not have much else going on in life. But the adults who act like life is over if they cant play games, text, or post on FB are really pathetic to me

A cell is to make a phone call or maybe send a text if that's more convenient. Anything else just makes it a new toy for gullible human. And parents buying their teenagers expensive smartphones are just ridiculous
I am torn down the middle on this. I COMPLETELY know the kind of people the posters in this thread are talking about who seem to live on their phone. However, I do use my phone very frequently but not in the way many people in here are stereotyping. I only have 1 game on my smartphone and haven't played it in probably a year. I don't take any "selfies". My phone is always off or silent and never pulled out during movies. I am never on my phone when interacting with a cashier. etc.

However, I use my phone to stream music; I use it as my GPS; I use it to take notes in meetings; I use it to jot down literary, design or music ideas for the side stuff I do; I handle most of our financial transactions on my phone; I keep up with my sister and other relatives via text or facebook more than I did before (didn't always have time to be on the phone but we can easily text or fb message at each other's convenience); I handle most of my email through phone instead of a laptop or desktop; I read books on my phone when I don't have my tablet around (the phone and tablet communicate keep up with the page I'm on) etc.

My phone has mostly replaced or in some cases eliminated other items I'd use or tasks I'd do throughout the day and has saved me a lot of time. There is a lot of time spent on my phone that would be spent other places in years past. It has simply been *consolidated* onto my phone. So, instead of writing checks or doing e-billing on my computer, or checking email on my computer, or watching news on tv, or reading a blog, or reading a magazine, or reading newspaper reviews or movies or local restaurants...now it is all being done on one device. It *appears* that "OMG everyone is glued to their phones," when, in reality yes some people are, but it is also a reality that lots of people like me have tried to streamline tasks by doing them on one device that is with me all the time. It might put things into perspective if you think about the fact that I am doing the same stuff I've always done, just quicker and more convenient.

Chances are, if you see me on my phone while on a bus or waiting in line, I'm taking care of something that I won't have to mess with later when I get home. In years past, I'd have to wait to get home to sit down and pay my bills. But why not pay my bills while I'm standing in line at the store or taking the bus during time I'd just normally be twiddling my thumbs? Then when I get home I can spend more time with my wife and dog instead of paying bills (or emailing my sister back, or reading the news, etc.)

Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Cell phones are the umbilical cord of the Millenial generation.

I find it so odd that many of them in my office building have to hold them in their hands looking at them constantly while going down the elevator to get lunch. Bet they sleep with them too
Actually, a lot of people do. I had a night-shift co-worker who always answered her phone when I called and I was always waking her up. Isn't that what voice mail is for?

I think a lot of people honestly feel like their phone is an extension of themselves, not an appliance. It's more than pathetic, it's bizarre. It is so completely the opposite of a clear mind, of being able to think or pay attention in the present or any spiritual serenity that one might seek.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,882,815 times
People seem to get bent out of shape when others ask any more for them to be considerate.

No one is asking you to give up your precious device but just be considerate. Is it asking too much?

Apparently, to todays self absorbed society...it is too much.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,439,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
People seem to get bent out of shape when others ask any more for them to be considerate.
They're more concerned with not appearing too weak to defend their inconsiderate behavior.

But I went to a concert recently (outdoor venue, I'm not a frequent concert-goer) and this amused/baffled me:

The moment the show started, the couple in front of us turned to the couple next to us and resoundly "SHHHHHUSHED" them. Like within the first 5 seconds of the first song. The look of contempt on their faces was unreal.

Within the first ten seconds of the first song, this same shusshing couple pulled out their own iPad and starting instgramming and facebooking away, with their precious tablets right in our faces. All night they did this, thrusting skyward those glowing shiny squares of "hey look at me" right in front of us.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,855,564 times
It's not only phones but other devices also which detach us from seeing and talking to people, seeing the expression
on their face (are they really pleased to talk to you or couldn't care less) personal one on one interaction,
friends together laughing, a touch or a smile.
Little commercial that speaks volumes below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HeRBiZnhaY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships