U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
I'd always own up, no matter what the price 43 68.25%
I'd own up if I though they'd be lenient/if the item was cheap, if expensive i would not 8 12.70%
I wouldn't own up either way if I could get away with it 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,506,030 times

Advertisements

I would inform the store owner if I broke something but I would not pay for it. It's just one of the hazards of having goods on display that things are going to get broken. If a person breaks something in my home I don't ask for payment either. I doubt very much those signs that say, "You break it you bought it" are legal in any sense. If a person is shown to be negligent in some way or another the owner of the broken item might have a legal case for payment but otherwise I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,385,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I would inform the store owner if I broke something but I would not pay for it. It's just one of the hazards of having goods on display that things are going to get broken. If a person breaks something in my home I don't ask for payment either. I doubt very much those signs that say, "You break it you bought it" are legal in any sense. If a person is shown to be negligent in some way or another the owner of the broken item might have a legal case for payment but otherwise I doubt it.
But if I broke something in someone else's home, I would most definitely offer to replace it. Actually, I would insist.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM

5,576 posts, read 4,726,064 times
I did pay. It was an antique sugar bowl at a flea market and when I lifted it to see the price tag on the bottom, the top slipped off and hit the ground. It was not taped on very well. I felt so bad because without the top the value was almost zero. I just paid up and took my topless sugar bowl home $30 wiser.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM

4,735 posts, read 5,387,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I did pay. It was an antique sugar bowl at a flea market and when I lifted it to see the price tag on the bottom, the top slipped off and hit the ground. It was not taped on very well. I felt so bad because without the top the value was almost zero. I just paid up and took my topless sugar bowl home $30 wiser.
I'm curious as to why you felt it was your fault if the top was not taped on very well. Did you have any feeling that the seller should have taken more care to make sure it was taped properly? If so, did you have any feeling that the seller should have at least shared in the loss rather than you bearing it completely by yourself?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM

1,409 posts, read 799,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I really like your goodness in doing so, nowdays everyone wants to get out of willingly taking some responsibiltiy.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 PM

10,585 posts, read 13,052,178 times
I broke a bottle of juice once and offered to pay for it. The manager said it was not necessary. One time though I dropped a lit cigarette into a trash can by accident outside a property and it started to burn. I ran in and informed security and they put it out with a cup of coffee. I felt really dumb and they were not as livid as I thought they would be. Could have gotten into real trouble for that one.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM

43,371 posts, read 52,279,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As long as we're putting this terms of whether or not someone is mature, grown ups understand what their responsibilities really are and don't get duped into paying for something they're not responsible for. They also do not label people they disagree with as "reprehensible." Name calling is for children.
How are you not responsible if YOU break something?
I don't get it.
Way to deflect, btw.

Yes. If I break something, I offer to pay. Always have, always will.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 PM

4,735 posts, read 5,387,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How are you not responsible if YOU break something?
I don't get it.
... Yes. If I break something, I offer to pay. Always have, always will.
I answered your question in post #19.

I do find these comments about "I always pay" etc. to be baffling. I have been in many stores over many years and examined many pieces of merchandise, and I have never broken anything. I've also never been with someone who's broken anything.

Perhaps the key is to be more careful in the first place, then if something happens you will know that you have always done your best to avoid a mishap.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Consider three possible situations:
A. Someeone aims their car at you and runs you over on purpose.
B. Someone falls asleep at the wheel and veers into your car head on.
C. The front wheel comes off their car and it hits you while you are walking down the street.

And in all those circumstances, the driver would PAY to fix my car.

This is a terrible parallel - the intent in murder is one thing. In breaking something and your having to pay, it's completely irrelevant. Whether you intend to break it or not, you still pay.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Perhaps the key is to be more careful in the first place, then if something happens you will know that you have always done your best to avoid a mishap.
Well, duh.
You should always be careful.

In 37 years, I have broken 2 things.
A jar of sauce.
A jar of pickles or some condiment.

That's it.

I offered immediately to pay both times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships