U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
I'd always own up, no matter what the price 43 68.25%
I'd own up if I though they'd be lenient/if the item was cheap, if expensive i would not 8 12.70%
I wouldn't own up either way if I could get away with it 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,857,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
A lot of liars in this poll. If you knock a grape onto the floor, you go pay for it? Its more trouble in lost productivity for whoever you bother to pay for the grape than them getting like 3 cents out of you
I agree there are likely some people not being truthful, but not becuase of a grape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM

4,742 posts, read 5,392,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And in all those circumstances, the driver would PAY to fix my car.

This is a terrible parallel - the intent in murder is one thing. In breaking something and your having to pay, it's completely irrelevant. Whether you intend to break it or not, you still pay.
It is not a parallel. It is an example of varying levels of responsibility depending on intent and negligence. Yes, the insurance company might pay for your car but don't just focus on the money. There are ways to pay other than cash.

Here I was really thinking about how the driver might have varying levels of culpabiity and how they might pay a debt to society. There would be a long prison sentence in the first case, a much shorter on if at all in the second, and they would pay no debt to society in the third because they were blameless.

Same in the store. If I knocked something over because I was swinging my big bag around carelessly, I would feel that I should pay the store owner, but of they put something out on display and it was broken in a totally accidental manner and without any negligence on my part, I would not feel obligated to pay.

You will often see valuable or delicate items in a display case to be taken out by the storekeeper. Store keepers who do not take those precautions must do so for a reason--perhaps they think it is makes an items more likely to sell-- but by not taking those precautions, they assume a certain amount of risk that an item could be unintentionally damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, duh.
You should always be careful.

In 37 years, I have broken 2 things.
A jar of sauce.
A jar of pickles or some condiment.

That's it.

I offered immediately to pay both times.
Well, Stan it seems you're not careful enough if you still felt it was your fault.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM

21,253 posts, read 21,716,168 times
having worked in the Grocery Store Industry while putting myself through Scientist School, the important thing is that the store is made aware of the breakage so that it can be addressed and cleaned up. Now, when I break stuff I'll usually go to the head cashier and tell her that some little kid did it. There's always one just around the corner that looks guilty of something. Watching the kid's mom get the ol' evil eye from the cashier possee as she checks out is pretty funny.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM

9,650 posts, read 15,760,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I wonder if "you break it, you buy it" is even remotely enforceable. What if you said No, Im not paying for it....are the cops going to enforce that rule?..I doubt it.

Stores carry loss/breakage insurance. They take a risk of breakage whenever they display something in an unprotected manner. If you did pay for the broken item, they would probably file an insurance claim, anyways. Personally, I avoid "trinket" stores to avoid the damage to my wallet

Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM

26,578 posts, read 51,966,258 times
I've paid for things that I have damaged... store didn't want me to... I insisted.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,464,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
More of an ethical question, I suppose, but related to relationships...

Today I was at a store buying a can of juice, and I dropped it on accident and it made a small slash/hole in the side. Probably a quarter of the drink spilled out. For a split second, I contemplated just putting the can back and quietly leaving, but then the little angel on my shoulder got the better of me and I informed the store-owner. I told her straight off I'd pay for it. Honestly paid off, in a way, because she charged me less for it. If I had accidentally damaged say something much more expensive, however, I do wonder if I'd be so honest. Especially if I couldn't afford it.

Would you at least own up? If you went to say a store selling expensive things or antiques and they had a 'if damaged considered sold' policy would you own up, if your act went unnoticed, or would you quietly pretend as if nothing happened? Would it depend on the cost or would that make no difference? Be honest now, this poll will be anonymous .

I won't go with some PC answer, I''ll be honest. It depends. If I knocked up stuff at a small mom & pop store run by honest hardworking people I'd pony up on the other hand if I went to a store owned by people who flaunt their wealth for example if God forbid I found myself at a Kardashian store & I ripped a dress, I'd gladly walk away expecting them to take the loss!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,872,352 times
If I broke something by accident I would own up to it but wouldnt pay for it. It was an accident.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,826,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
More of an ethical question, I suppose, but related to relationships...

Today I was at a store buying a can of juice, and I dropped it on accident and it made a small slash/hole in the side. Probably a quarter of the drink spilled out. For a split second, I contemplated just putting the can back and quietly leaving, but then the little angel on my shoulder got the better of me and I informed the store-owner. I told her straight off I'd pay for it. Honestly paid off, in a way, because she charged me less for it. If I had accidentally damaged say something much more expensive, however, I do wonder if I'd be so honest. Especially if I couldn't afford it.

Would you at least own up? If you went to say a store selling expensive things or antiques and they had a 'if damaged considered sold' policy would you own up, if your act went unnoticed, or would you quietly pretend as if nothing happened? Would it depend on the cost or would that make no difference? Be honest now, this poll will be anonymous .
Maybe times are changing but I can't imagine having to pay for broken merchandise. I remember when I was a kid, shopping with my Mother. I ran our shopping cart into a display of ketchup. About a dozen or more bottles of ketchup ended on the floor, creating a massive mess. Within seconds the store manager came running, and pushed us back, and told my mother not to worry about it, that they would take care of it. Then he called someone to clean it up.

My Mother seemed more pissed about it, then the manager was. The manager was just concerned about the store liability, and getting the mess cleaned up. Rather then the cost of a dozen bottles of ketchup.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 PM

4,742 posts, read 5,392,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Maybe times are changing but I can't imagine having to pay for broken merchandise. I remember when I was a kid, shopping with my Mother. I ran our shopping cart into a display of ketchup. About a dozen or more bottles of ketchup ended on the floor, creating a massive mess. Within seconds the store manager came running, and pushed us back, and told my mother not to worry about it, that they would take care of it. Then he called someone to clean it up.

My Mother seemed more pissed about it, then the manager was. The manager was just concerned about the store liability, and getting the mess cleaned up. Rather then the cost of a dozen bottles of ketchup.
When I worked in a store, we broke bottles of ketchup, pop, etc. all the time. I just happens when you work with this stuff all the time. Anyway, every time we broke something, we cleaned it up and saved the lid with the broken glass attached, and kept them in boxes sorted by product manufacturer. They were returned to the distributor who gave the store a credit. Breakage doesnt cost a grocery store a dime.

If you broke a bottle or jar in a grocery store, the reason you had to insist on paying for it is because the store employees knew that the store was not out anything. That's why they don't want your money and why it is foolish to insist on paying.

I would suspect that other products work in a similar fashion, and expensive items are insured.

By the way, KaaBoom is a great name for this topic!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,796,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I wonder if "you break it, you buy it" is even remotely enforceable. What if you said No, Im not paying for it....are the cops going to enforce that rule?..I doubt it.
Why not just be careful when handling things that don't belong to you? I cannot understand this mentality.
Put yourself in the shoes of a shop owner. He/she has to purchase the item to put it on display for you. If you are clumsy and break it, take responsibility, offer to pay for it, and learn a valuable lesson.
Do the right thing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships