Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times

Advertisements

Even though I'd love to have a mane of thick, healthy long hair, the "female parts" comment is a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Men and their ideas of long hair!

I am remarried now, and my husband told me when we started dating that though he was 43 at the time, and had been single for years, I was literally the first woman he had ever dated (ever!) with short hair.

What the heck!

But hey - he married me.

Anyway, you tell your husband that you are in charge of your own hair and you do know what's best for it so calm down.
I think that women younger than 40 are more likely than women 40+ to wear their hair longer, so it sort of make sense that if your husband has typically dated women close in age to himself, he would have started dating women with shorter hair in his 40s.

And yes, even though my husband will grumble a bit about my upcoming hair trim, he won't die, and he may even learn after 54 years on this earth that hair grows!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I think that women younger than 40 are more likely than women 40+ to wear their hair longer, so it sort of make sense that if your husband has typically dated women close in age to himself, he would have started dating women with shorter hair in his 40s.

And yes, even though my husband will grumble a bit about my upcoming hair trim, he won't die, and he may even learn after 54 years on this earth that hair grows!
I am sorry - another typo - I was 43 when we started dating and he was 47. Not only is my sense of direction off, apparently I can't count either!

We live in Texas where long, big hair is not even a joke - it's very common, even on women over 40. Anyway, considering how many women he has dated over the years, I just thought it was pretty amazing that he'd never dated ANYONE with short hair before!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 PM

I have plenty of those days with numbers, directions, etc.

Hmm, I don't know if my husband ever dated a short-haired women, other than me at the beginning of our relationship, actually. I am guessing not. Maybe I will ask him.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM

90 posts, read 101,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
It is certainly rude for acquaintances to make comments about appearance that aren't positive, but I have to admit I can't understand why women with naturally good hair cut it short, even if the cut is flattering. Maybe this is because I'd give up a fingernail or three permanently to have to nice hair.

Are you male or female? I think that is a valid point and I suspect what is behind some of the disapproval of cutting one's hair. My hair grows fast and is thick. Some women take forever to grow their hair down their back but mine only takes two years.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't quite understand the OP's problem. Maybe because I've been known to say things like "you got a hair cut!" or "you got a new car!" It's obvious that a change was made, and I acknowledged the change. I'm not sure why my approval is necessary. If you love your hair cut, then you go on with your bad self.
Because it just sounds like you don't like it. If I said: "Oh, you got a new shirt" and that was it, I bet you'd think--"Soooo...yay or nay?"

Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
I don't know if it's rude, which is why I am asking you all.

I got my hair cut almost two months ago. It was very long and thick and I cut it very short. I always do this.

So this woman who owns a cafe sees me and says "Oh, you cut your hair!" And then...

*crickets chirping*

I'm like, "Yeah...." Uncomfortable silence. Waiting for her to tell me it looks nice. Nope. Nada.

So the next week I go back in there. Same deal. She goes "Oh, you cut your hair!"

I am like "Yup." More crickets doing their thang.

And then last night I had a young worker at another place make the same observation followed by nothing.

I get it. Some people might not like my 'do. Especially since I have very thick hair, perhaps they think it's crazy to cut.

But still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Looks OK to me

???? are both these IDs the same member????

Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Are you male or female? I think that is a valid point and I suspect what is behind some of the disapproval of cutting one's hair. My hair grows fast and is thick. Some women take forever to grow their hair down their back but mine only takes two years.
I am female, with thin hair that cracks, breaks, and won't grow without splitting. I bleach it, which doesn't help.

In my twenties, my hair would grow, but it was unmanageable, thick, and Brillo-like.

I guess I just can't imagine having gorgeous, glossy hair and not wanting to grow it long and glory in it. Although I can see how dealing with lots of hair would get old after a while.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
???? are both these IDs the same member????
What are you talking about? I am the OP. I am not the other person! I don't even know what made you think it was a sock puppet!

*Edit: The irony is that I didn't understand what that poster meant when s/he said it. I thought maybe it was a joke but it went over my head.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I am the OP. I am not the other person! I don't even know what made you think it was a sock puppet!

*Edit: The irony is that I didn't understand what that poster meant when s/he said it. I thought maybe it was a joke but it went over my head.
Well, you're not alone because I don't know either.

Weird. Don't pay any attention to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships