U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,288,154 times

Advertisements

When you look at all the friends you have had in your life, how many of them were a case of instant chemistry and immediate friendship from the first moment you met?

I am not talking about a romantic relationship but a friendship.

You just really liked the person right from the start and even though you met the person just seconds ago you felt like you knew the person their entire life and you felt so at ease with them and could talk all night. There was an instant chemistry with them and a natural charisma about your new friend.

Does this happen? You have heard about love at first sight, this is immediate friendship at first sight!

Is this more possible with women friends, vs. men friends, or does gender make no difference?

If this happens to you, tell us your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
I wouldn't call it "instant friendship" It's more like instant KINSHIP.

Which then of course develops into a deep friendship over time.

And yes this has happened to me twice.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM

15,869 posts, read 12,648,976 times
Yep, happens.

With men, women, and especially dogs , gender makes no difference!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,353,330 times
I had this happen in the 3rd grade.... We were paired up to play some sort of counting game involving dice and it was like fate.. lol.. we gelled together so well and instantly became good friends from that moment. We were 9 at the time and now we're both 29 and we're still good friends.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,538,026 times
Nope. I may enjoy someone's company upon first meeting them but to form a true friendship, it takes time. My SIL has this habit of meeting someone once and instantly acting like they are BFF's or something. All she'll talk about is this new best friend she has and it's like they've been friends for years. Sometimes, the person returns this instant attachment - sometimes, it's obviously one sided (not that the other person didn't have fun spending time with her but it becomes clear they don't need or want an instant new best friend). Eventually, the person will disappear as quickly as they appeared - in the cases where the other person jumps into the friendship just as quickly, they usually wind up having a falling out and never speak again. In the case where it turns out the person liked her but is not in the market for a new best friend, SIL is smart enough to realize this and move on.

Just like with romantic relationships, a quick attachment to someone is usually based on shallow emotions and therefore doesn't carry what is needed to maintain a true, long lasting friendship built on trust, support, understanding, and love.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM

9,014 posts, read 8,261,068 times
Absolutely.
My former landlord & I both felt instantly comfortable with each other, as if we'd already known each other.
It was pretty amazing that we could talk about anything & everything; it turned out to be a very beautiful 5 year long friendship.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,754,032 times
No. I've never had this happen.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,351,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When you look at all the friends you have had in your life, how many of them were a case of instant chemistry and immediate friendship from the first moment you met?

I am not talking about a romantic relationship but a friendship.

You just really liked the person right from the start and even though you met the person just seconds ago you felt like you knew the person their entire life and you felt so at ease with them and could talk all night. There was an instant chemistry with them and a natural charisma about your new friend.

Does this happen? You have heard about love at first sight, this is immediate friendship at first sight!

Is this more possible with women friends, vs. men friends, or does gender make no difference?

If this happens to you, tell us your stories!
I know you said you are not talking about a romantic relationship, but this is how it was with my SO. It all happened that way the first time we met and we actually did become best friends. We are still best friends.

I also knew that he was the one I would want to marry some day. There was something I saw in his eyes. There was a kindness.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM

3,044 posts, read 3,984,392 times
My aunt married my uncle, as I also did with my wife, within ten days of meeting.
She said, after 60 plus years of marriage: "when you know, you know".

Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,463,145 times
Yes it happened once in my life. She was a BFF for two years & I screwed things up & IMO chemistry never dies meaning if I were brave enough to connect with her now we would still click. We have a lot of friends in common on social networks & so her name pops up a lot but a big part of me is realistic enough that if we were destined to have a friendship that goes from friends to sisters she would have invited me for lunch & talked to me & tried to straighten things out. But then again when this happened we were at uni, she was broke & I was dating a baller so YES I screwed up but maybe baby girl got jealous??

So after all I have been through is that MAYBE instant chemistry exists between opposite sex members but women, hell nah! The green eyed devil ALWAYS ALWAYS comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships