U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,320,771 times
Reputation: 10248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband used to work for a prominent local businessman who was still in the closet. Every time they had a gala or another big event, they had to hire an escort for the businessman, not a prostitute, but a nice-looking woman who would hang on his arm all evening and look good in pictures. It was actually part of the budget for the event.
About 20 years ago, for about five years, I fulfilled the "social girlfriend" role for a gay male friend who wasn't ready to be "out" at work. He was fairly high up the corporate ladder and his company held quite a few social functions every year so he took me along and we just let people assume we were a couple.

Not analagous to the OP, though. We were already friends and he didn't pay me, although I did benefit by going to fancy functions, concerts, parties, a cruise, a couple of Vegas weekends, a week in Costa Rica and other such events all expenses paid.

Other than that, my answer to the OP is no, couldn't ever imagine doing that. For one thing I make friends easily. Also I am not very well-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,555,623 times
Reputation: 6217
Couldn't imagine having to hire friends....
But I guess if I was a gazzillionaire and single I might hire an escort
No wait, if you had that much money you wouldn't have trouble finding women either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: mid wyoming
2,008 posts, read 6,031,650 times
Reputation: 1878
No way, no friends or relatives working for me. I will get them a job with the company in another department but I have been not just been burned, but smoked to a cinder by hiring one to work with me.. And I had to be the one to fire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,473,688 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
About 20 years ago, for about five years, I fulfilled the "social girlfriend" role for a gay male friend who wasn't ready to be "out" at work. He was fairly high up the corporate ladder and his company held quite a few social functions every year so he took me along and we just let people assume we were a couple.

Not analagous to the OP, though. We were already friends and he didn't pay me, although I did benefit by going to fancy functions, concerts, parties, a cruise, a couple of Vegas weekends, a week in Costa Rica and other such events all expenses paid.

Other than that, my answer to the OP is no, couldn't ever imagine doing that. For one thing I make friends easily. Also I am not very well-off.
You were a beard. Thats what its called. A lot of gay celebs also pay beards as they think being known to be gay can damage a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,320,771 times
Reputation: 10248
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
You were a beard. Thats what its called. A lot of gay celebs also pay beards as they think being known to be gay can damage a career.
LOL.
Well I have been called a lot worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM
 
260 posts, read 796,322 times
Reputation: 369
Never hire family, friends or relatives of friends, or neighbors and always get a background check if they are handling money. I've tried friends and a neighbor. A friend of mine hired a woman to work in the office and handle the money and she embezzled close to $6000.00 in the year. She was very creative and his accountant found it. She is now a convicted felon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
 
Location: USA
1,590 posts, read 1,727,737 times
Reputation: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
Never hire family, friends or relatives of friends, or neighbors and always get a background check if they are handling money. I've tried friends and a neighbor. A friend of mine hired a woman to work in the office and handle the money and she embezzled close to $6000.00 in the year. She was very creative and his accountant found it. She is now a convicted felon.
Well, I was thinking about handling money if I got rich. I thought: how could I avoid a person embezzling? How about I tell my regular accountant that I would have to check his books regularly by a "surprise" other accountant (a new one each time)? (That way he wouldn't know whom to bribe). But then, I heard there are two sets of books sometimes kept by sneaky people. I am not sure how to avoid that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM
 
Location: USA
1,590 posts, read 1,727,737 times
Reputation: 1630
I guess the word "friend" was a misnomer. I should have said "a companion". Because to count someone as a "friend", you would have to believe that they genuinely care (at least I think so). But a companion could be like a stranger who listens to you (either because he wants to or because of some other reasons).

The therapist and the bartender were a great point.

Yes, I would love a therapist, someone who explains me to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,113 posts, read 5,171,398 times
Reputation: 6751
No. I hired my long time friend, who was an unemployed plumber, to redo some pipes so I could have my house inspected.
Paid him 100 up front because his truck was broken down. Well, I went and picked him up whilst I went to work and he was supposed to at least get started. 8 hours later, I get home and he had managed to glue, incorrectly, 1 90 to a pipe.
I was pissed!. I called him the next day and asked if he was going to come finish the job. He told me no.
I ended up doing all of it, by myself, in under 2 hours. He could have made another hundred bucks for just 2 hours of work, less because he was experienced.
I tried to hire a couple other friends to do things, no shows.
Way back when I was running a pizza place, I hired my friend and his girlfriend. She ended up getting promoted to manager and set me up, made it look like I was stealing, and took my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 AM
 
18,307 posts, read 23,450,631 times
Reputation: 34256
stay away from friends and family,,,in the workplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top