U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,607,832 times

Advertisements

Wow I have learned two new terms this week now (twerking and Boston marriage).

Anyway, I agree with the majority here, your house, your rules. If your parents are that uncomfortable with it then they should probably stay at a hotel or celebrate elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,868,060 times
I am wondering due to your difficulty with English that maybe you are not originally from the US and maybe your culture's customs/expectations are different than here in the US? I can't see a 32 year old's parents telling him he he is hosting Christmas and he can't sleep where he wants. Yet it is different to be sleeping with someone in a non-romantic relationship. Do the Parents think this is a romantic relationship? maybe it is more difficult for them to know this is only a "friend"?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM

16,882 posts, read 17,190,006 times
[quote=thebigW;31242366]"When you're in my house, you'll live by my rules"

My mother was very old school. I lived with my boyfriend and when we were at her house, we slept in different bedrooms. But, when she came to our house, we slept together. Never had any problems.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Wow I have learned two new terms this week now (twerking and Boston marriage).

Anyway, I agree with the majority here, your house, your rules. If your parents are that uncomfortable with it then they should probably stay at a hotel or celebrate elsewhere.
I agree, Your house--your rules.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
I have no idea what buying a house "back in the springs" means. Is it some kind of vacation area that your family would like to visit and is that why they are imposing on you?

If so, here's what I would do. I'd send home a letter that says "Dear Mom, GalPal and I have discussed Christmas and we'd love to host a family Christmas Day dinner. We've checked out the situation and you can book a room at Hotel X at special Christmas rates. The suite will be big enough for you and Dad in the bedroom and Brother Joey on the pull-out bed in the living room. If you want to give me your credit card number, I'd be happy to make the reservation for you. Let me know what you decide. Otherwise, I guess we'll have to spend the holiday the same place we did last year. Love, Pulaski"

Then, if you want to have your tolerant siblings stay in your extra rooms, make separate arrangements with them.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,542,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I am wondering due to your difficulty with English that maybe you are not originally from the US and maybe your culture's customs/expectations are different than here in the US? I can't see a 32 year old's parents telling him he he is hosting Christmas and he can't sleep where he wants. Yet it is different to be sleeping with someone in a non-romantic relationship. Do the Parents think this is a romantic relationship? maybe it is more difficult for them to know this is only a "friend"?
goodbyesnow, I'm guessing you've hit the nail on the head. I was thinking the same thing. If the parents are from a more conservative, ethnic background, then I can understand the OP's feeling of conflict and not wanting to directly oppose parents. And in this case, sometimes it's a good idea to get a more liberal-thinking relative, Uncle or Aunt, to step in and defend the desired lifestyle.

It's simply not that easy to say, My House, My Rules... if cultural differences come into play.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 PM

44,303 posts, read 35,841,586 times
Rather than even TRY to give the OP logical advice, I think I'll just sit back and watch the movie. I mean, this is bound to be made into one sooner or later, right?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM

15,690 posts, read 26,663,721 times
Your house, your rules. When you become an adult and set up your own house then your parents rules do not exist for you anymore. They are welcome to come over or stay away. They also have rules they want to live by. Remember that any action or inaction on your part will be followed by an action on their part. Like it, don't like it, but don't let that determine who you are. Live your life and let other live theirs. Still, always keep the invite on the table.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:15 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,857,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Rather than even TRY to give the OP logical advice, I think I'll just sit back and watch the movie. I mean, this is bound to be made into one sooner or later, right?
Haha, I was thinking along the same lines. Kind of like a reality-TV show.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,958,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski6 View Post
... My parents really doesn't like how I live my life (no stable career, often do dangerous job, no college degree, etc...) ... ..?
Forget who you are sleeping with, whether you are romantically involved or not, whether your parents can dictate terms in your own house, etc! First and foremost, get your life in order for your sake!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM

7,066 posts, read 8,121,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski6 View Post
We aren't in a relationship but we have decided that we do want to live together when we can and when I'm ready, I will eventually live with her for good.
We do share room when we are here and all that.
It sounds like you two are in a relationship of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships