Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But still, $33 is not much for four people. Now if you ordered a grilled cheese and they ordered steak and lobster, that would be rude!
I was gonna say. $40 for four people including tip, apps and drinks is super cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 PM

259 posts, read 522,490 times
Yes, I do, but in your example you ordered such a cheap and simple dish, it would be hard to match that unless I ordered the exact meal you did. How do you expect for them to order a $4-5 meal when even you admit it was the cheapest on the menu? Yes they may have gone a little overboard (I probably would've kept it around $7ish given the circumstance) but you know your friends. When you say you're paying, some friends will be more careful not to order pricier foods and some will splurge when it's not their money. Know when to offer to pay and when not to.

When I offer, I expect and want my friends to order apps, main dish, dessert and drinks. I definitely don't want them to order the minimum because I'm covering and they're trying to be "nice". I'm offering because I want them to enjoy and I can afford it.

Last edited by FromChicagotoSeattle; 09-02-2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: redundancy

Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I normally try to be more on the conservative side when someone offers to treat, unless they say,please order anything you like. But even then, I would never go crazy.

However, if I were in your friends shoes, I would feel odd, since your order was so basic and simple, I can't imagine there were many options in that range. What your friends ordered does not seem over the top.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
My meal is almost always less than anybody I am 'treating' so I wouldn't expect them to try to match me and in a diner it's going to be fairly well limited anyway but what fries me (pun intended?) is when several extras are ordered and then hardly eaten.
As an aside....on the choice of wings, etc ...brunch is word concocted to combine breakfast and lunch so any combination of the two menus should be expected.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Greed. No doggie bag - she ordered the most expensive things she could order. Even had it been need - out-spending me 1:9 was crossing the line. I ordered a typical lunch. She ordered lobster, with the crab add-ons, etc. Also the most expensive wine on the menu, although she doesn't normally drink wine - just went for the money. Like I said, I felt like I was in a sit-com.
Well, I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt but that ears it. You were right to warn-off your friend and coworkers.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
do you try to keep the cost of your meal roughly in the same ball-park as the friend's meal? P
I do, or order a low-cost item or something like a dinner salad. Part of this is about weight watching, part is not to be rude and take advantage.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
i try to. but i would consider the OPs example of contrasting meals in the same ballpark.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Yes. Just because they're buying doesn't mean you order the most expensive thing on the menu.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Yes, I am...not to the extent that I wont order a beverage ,I enjoy tea or coffee with my meal and when friends have taken me.to eat I usually do order a basic beverage and.then one of the less expensive items on the menu...no alcohol or famcy appetizers unless THEY say " hey, wanna split some cheese sticks" or something...same for dessert, i wont order it unless the friend says " wanna get some dessert?".....so my rule for myself is order one of the lesser expensive items along with a beverage, no alcohol, appetizers or dessert unless friend invites me too

Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
if i was taking friends out, i would order a little more than usual (including a soda even though i barely drink it) so they felt comfortable getting whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships