Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 PM

32 posts, read 44,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would only comment if I thought it was funny (one of my favorites: "Yes, this is my pickup. No, I won't help you move"). To me it's no different than a T-shirt someone is wearing with a political slogan or anything else they liked. There were plenty of times I wanted to approach someone in a Giants or Cowboys jersey or fan flag on their car and say "They s*ck!" but I don't want to get beat up, so I refrain, lol. No different than a political sticker IMO, people are entitled to their viewpoints, however wrong they may be.
The question is whether you would ever comment on their statement (in the form of a bumper sticker). Commenting is not confronting, arguing, telling them they are not allowed to think anything.

In other words, get them to explain their views. I bet a lot of them CAN'T. They were listening to Rush or Sean Hannity or the liberal equivalent and don't know all the ins and outs of the issue in question. It's much easier to slap on a bumper sticker than to actually explore said issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
I never ask anyone to explain their bumper stickers, or comment in hopes of receivng an explanation.
My folks always said, "Don't talk to strangers."

Seriously, though, I'm too busy with my own stuff to bother others.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
I've read that drivers with bumper stickers tend to be more aggressive, so no. It doesn't seem wise to be confrontational with a total stranger regardless.

And what would the point be? If someone feels strongly enough about something to buy it as a bumper sticker that they proudly display to the world, do you really think that they're open to opposing points of view?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I never ask anyone to explain their bumper stickers, or comment in hopes of receivng an explanation.
My folks always said, "Don't talk to strangers."

Seriously, though, I'm too busy with my own stuff to bother others.
Right. Like coming on here and telling us how little time you have to "bother" others...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I've read that drivers with bumper stickers tend to be more aggressive, so no. It doesn't seem wise to be confrontational with a total stranger regardless.

And what would the point be? If someone feels strongly enough about something to buy it as a bumper sticker that they proudly display to the world, do you really think that they're open to opposing points of view?
I wouldn't give a fig how open they are. The point would be to see how much they can remember from the Faux squawking points.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 PM

315 posts, read 563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 mules and 1 acre View Post
I didn't get the last part. Is that a Trekkie geek joke?

Where did you see the word "fight" in the OP? The things people read into...The very title says COMMENT. Commenting and fighting are worlds apart, mon cherie...
Personally, commenting to me means "snarky" and "nasty" commenting especially if you're referring to a political/religious sticker. I wouldn't tell someone I liked their bumper sticker. I would just laugh at it to myself or say something in my head to myself about it. I wouldn't say anything to them. So to me, commenting on a bumper sticker is a confrontational action. I guess you feel differently, but personally, if someone is commenting on a bumper sticker I would take it as a nasty comment ESPECIALLY if it's a religious/political bumper sticker. Maybe it's just the wording...but that's my personal take on it.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I like "Honk If One of the Kids Falls Out" and "I Don't Care About Your Stick Figure Family."
I love the one with the monster truck chasing the stick figure fam.

I do not comment on people's bumper stickers. I might if I liked it. I wouldn't start a confrontation with a total stranger if I didn't like their sticker.

I've never really understood paying thousands of dollars on a car, then ruining the paint job with a sticker. For that reason alone, I don't have any.

And, really, how often do you have a chance to talk to the owner of a car about their sticker? Aren't you usually driving down the street? If the car is parked, how often is the owner standing by it?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
My sister had the best bumper sticker ever:

Honk if You're Amish

Grew up in Ohio. Anyone who has driven thru Amish country knows it can be very slow going because of the horse and buggy brigade. When we went around them we'd always look in the mirror to see if they saw the sticker. Never got any negative responses. Several laughed their asses off though.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
a few days ago, i had at the garage with my car (mechanic) and he was working on a '62 lincoln continental, that had a kennedy/johnson bumper sticker
i commented on that one

one of my favs i havent seen in 20 yrs "i dont have to be dead, to donate my organ"

one work friend had a bumper sticker "pyss off a liberal, work hard and be happy"
he said he got many comments on that

personally, i dont,,unless its particularly funny-although i once saw a bush/cheney sticker on a prius,,,more rare than seeing bigfoot.. i had to comment to the owner of the car..

Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a few days ago, i had at the garage with my car (mechanic) and he was working on a '62 lincoln continental, that had a kennedy/johnson bumper sticker
i commented on that one

one of my favs i havent seen in 20 yrs "i dont have to be dead, to donate my organ"

one work friend had a bumper sticker "pyss off a liberal, work hard and be happy"
he said he got many comments on that

personally, i dont,,unless its particularly funny-although i once saw a bush/cheney sticker on a prius,,,more rare than seeing bigfoot.. i had to comment to the owner of the car..
Ha!

The liberal one and Bush/Cheney one on a Prius are awesome.

Bumper stickers get folks thru the grind of traffic. No matter your leanings in life learn to enjoy them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships